1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Outdoor Grill

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by smartone, May 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We recently had our deck completely redone. I didn't go for the expense of doing a built-in type BBQ area, so now need to get a grill. A long time ago we had one of the Weber charcoal kettle grills and really loved it. It was just the wife and I and we didn't uses it all that often. Then in the mid-90's I bought my first Weber Genesis propane grill and we used the hell out of it cooking for a family of 6 and occasional guests throughout most of the 2000's. I got rid of that one about 10 years ago and we haven't had a grill since. Now with the newly built deck, I wanna get another grill.

I'm kinda interested in the Weber Genesis II SE-410 (propane) that looks like this:

Weber Grill.jpg

It's gonna run me around $900 and another $100 for the cover. I live in N. Lake Tahoe, so we have some pretty serious UV rays in the summer and butt-cold winters. The deck's on the south side of the house and get a LOT of direct sunlight. I'm pretty much gonna leave it on the deck 24/7/365.

Before I make the purchase, I thought I'd check to see what my fellow VMBers grill on. Thought's... suggestions... critiques... experiences?

Last edited: May 4, 2018
  2. ken2v

ken2v 200,000 and counting

America's most valuable agricultural expanse
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    We have a built-in Bull Products natural gas grill. We're near the ocean so fog and salty air are about it. It's been exposed for five years now and no problems. It is heavy stainless, not enameled. We also have a Weber charcoal burner/smoker. Because we live in a wind tunnel the gas-er is used almost exclusively.

3. Sprocket

Sprocket Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Cant go wrong with a weber, I have a 310 genesis, and my parents just got the 410, after running their weber for 20 years.

4. Jackpot Johnny

Jackpot Johnny Wynn Fan

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We have the previous model of this Weber, configured for a natural gas lookup instead of propane. One of the best home appliances I’ve ever had. Also, the one you are considering is highly rated by Consumer Reports.

Why would you not want a Weber? Good grief.

5. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My gas Char Broil is still holding up 10 years later. Outside on the deck all the time and no grill cover. Except for two years in Vegas, it's been exposed to the WI 4 seasons the last 8 years.

6. BlacklabberMike

BlacklabberMike VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just bought one of these..... weber spirit 210-e $349 at Lowes with free assembly and delivery. love it

[​IMG]

now, my question.... has anyone used those copper sheets you put over the grates?

7. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We have cast-iron planchas (griddles) that we use at times, depending on what we're cooking. They're great for fish and spatchcocked chickens.

8. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

Weber holds up well to the elements. I am in Ontario canada (hot, humid summer, snowy winter), and it lives outdoors (with a cover). Had a spirit 3 years and no issues.

I basically have the model mike put up a photo of, except with a screen instead of door for the tank.

9. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We used to burn through a gas grill every four or five years. Next time we decide to tweak the yard we'll add a built-in Santa Maria-style wood burner.

• Love Love x 1
  10. dtmk66

dtmk66 Welcome to Las Vegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The green egg you will never buy another grill. egg-family-all7-carriers-trans-1200.png

11. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good stuff. Everyone should have a bbq/smoker and a grill. Can do it all then.

12. Badger31

Badger31 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love my Weber. I went through a couple of the cheaper ones before I got it. Most of them are so unreliable...you never know if it's the right temp or not. The thing I love about my Weber is the consistency. I know what I'm getting for temp EVERY time. When you know that, you get the timing piece down really quickly.

Another Weber vote here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. da1chifan

da1chifan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We bought a Weber Genesis Special Edition about 4 years ago. It looks just like your photo but it's silver and we have doors at the bottom of ours. Still going like new. I use the sear function on it a lot. Always maintains a steady temp. Paid about $1k but I wanted top of the line and I wanted it to last a long time. Tired of having gone through 3-4 $300 grills in the past. We also wanted the larger grill for when we have parties.

14. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Our grill ... well, not ours but our model

Screen Shot 2018-05-04 at 12.41.02 PM.png

Attached Files:

15. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I get a new grill every year! :D

grill.jpg

RICHARD

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  16. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We have a similar one, with 3 burners, may be the 310, and we love it too. I think this is our 3rd or 4th summer with it.

17. Tex

Tex VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    ADF77C89-B6A9-46BD-B523-4B67A948147C.jpeg

2nd the egg.
    The versatility to cook burgers in 10 minutes or smoke a brisket for 15 hours.
    You can also crank it up to 650* and use it as a pizza oven.
    Grilled these last weekend.

• Wow! Wow! x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  18. flyguyfl

flyguyfl VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Pizza on a grill is new to me but hat looks good. The Egg must be special.

19. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I’m intrigued with The Green Egg... I’ve never seen one. I looked it up and found out it’s charcoal, which I know is “real” grillin’... but I’m awfully lazy these days and not sure I wanna give up the convenience of propane.

Those pizzas DO look awesome!

Has anyone put one of those flame-retardant mats under your grill? I didn’t have one before, but since the cost of this deck was like building a house, I feel like I should.

20. Jackpot Johnny

Jackpot Johnny Wynn Fan

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Our kids have an egg and swear by it. But, I’m with smartone-I don’t want to mess with charcoal. I’m so lazy that I won’t even mess with propane. Our Weber is a natural gas model-just hooks up to a gas line outlet on our back porch.

I think think the egg is good if you are willing to deal with charcoal, cleaning it and its comparatively limited capacity for its size. And, they are very heavy.

Despite the egg raves, I can’t tell any difference between a steak cooked in the egg or a steak cooked on the Weber. The Weber is way easier. And faster.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.