1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Our Flight With Spirit Airlines

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Jimbucc, Aug 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gregg19

Gregg19 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the info Foos- I am flying Spirit out of MSP to LAS Sept 21 and I was happy with 130 RT. That 42 RT you got is crazy!

2. jpw711

jpw711 Is that your cat?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    ok, the real question when it comes to legroom is: how tall are you?

No reason to go home yet.
  3. Foos

Foos High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am 5'10" 150lbs

4. Foos

Foos High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Looks like the next bag for Spirits NEW size limit will be:
    Travelpro Luggage Walkabout Lite 3 Deluxe Rolling Tote
    nylon
    12.5" high
    15" wide
    1682 Denier Ballistic Nylon
    Removable high performance wheels with stylish covers
    Fully-lined interior with multiple pockets for organizing
    12.5 Inch x 15 Inch x 8 Inch
    http://www.amazon.com/Travelpro-Luggage-Walkabout-Deluxe-Rolling/dp/B00IG3ECMK

8171oPZpbDL._UY679_.jpg

5. jpw711

jpw711 Is that your cat?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the info.

No reason to go home yet.
  6. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Foos, I had a quick question about my recent purchase, I copied and pasted the charges below. In a previous post, you mentioned that the Passenger Usage Fee is waived if the ticket is purchased at the counter in the airport. If that's the case, do you know if discount codes can be applied? With my ticket below, which I booked on Spirit's website, I applied a $35 discount code. I paid $25 for exit row seats as the Big Seats were all sold out. I booked a red eye for my my return, the itinerary was perfect, and I saved $150-200 compared to the next cheapest option with a less desirable schedule.

FLIGHT PRICE
    Base Fare $84.36
    ├Flight $44.66┤
    ├Unintended Consequences of DOT Regulations $3.72┤
    └Passenger Usage Fee $35.98┘

BAGS $60.00
    SEATS $50.00
    GOVERNMENT'S CUT $31.82
    DISCOUNTS (35OFF) ($35.00)

TOTAL $191.18

As for the new bag size, I don't understand why no one comes out with a bag without wheels. For something this small, are wheels necessary? Wheels require a telescoping frame that takes up space.

7. Geogran

Geogran VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bummer. Walmart bag is 15 x 14 x 8 1/2

8. westcanguy

westcanguy High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So do I understand this correctly... Many of you are paying less than 200.00 for a return flight to Las Vegas and you're upset about paying 30 dollars for a carry on or checked bag?
    You're traveling to a city where a cheap buffet is 20 bucks, a beer on the strip is 8+ dollars unless you're feeding a machine and you're upset about 30 dollars? I'm very curious as to what your gambling budgets are for these trips to Vegas. What am I missing here?

9. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not quite sure if there is an equivalent airline to Spirit in Canada. I think it's a case where Spirit reduced the dimensions of free carry on bags which makes old luggage redundant. Now folks will have to buy new luggage and pack less or check a bag for $60 round trip or carry on for $70 round trip. Spirit is known for tight seating and nickel and diming customers, so this is just another turn of the screw.

I work with several Canadians and they all seem to go with the flow when it comes to prices of things, they all seem resolved to paying more than Americans. I don't think it's the $30, so much as it is a change from the norm. Gambling budget has nothing to do with it.

I have seen the YouTube videos showing folks packing for a weekend in a small Spirit sized bag and sticking it to the man by not paying for any extras.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
  10. TriggerMN

TriggerMN The Norwegian Hammer

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am also taking Spirit from MSP in a couple of weeks. I got round trip for $81. Here is a photo of my "free" bag. It is no bigger than 16x10x10, and it holds all the clothes I will need for 4 days as well as toiletries and a couple of hard cover books for the pool. As a low roller, I am happy to have the additional $70 in my Vegas bankroll...if nothing else it pays for my resort fees.
    image.jpg

11. Foos

Foos High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Discount codes do not work at the airport and neither does any $9 fare club offers.
    I have yet to price a trip that wasn't cheaper purchased at the airport, so I have never joined the $9 fare club even when going with someone and them splitting the $59 fare club fee, the prices are still better at the airport....now I don't EVER pay for bags and that might make it worthwhile but I haven't done the research on it.
    From the Spirit website page where you see the fares it says IN VERY SMALL PRINT "Lower fares generally available at the airport. "

12. westcanguy

westcanguy High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

If you don't think it's the $30 then why mention "sticking it to the man"? I think by generalizing that Canadians are resolved to just paying more than Americans, isn't very accurate. Canadians want just as much of a deal as anyone but perhaps those Canadians you know aren't as frugal and accept the fact that if they want comfort, it will cost them $25(from Canada) a bag.
    I'm not looking to start an argument. I was only trying to understand why saving $30 was so important while on a gambling vacation. I think I understand now. Thanks.
    BTW, I flew Allegiant once from North Dakota... Once and never will again. I don't care how cheap it is.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.