1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Our cars were pilfered last night

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Ty, Jul 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As I got in my SUV this morning I noticed my center console and glove box open. My change purse was missing, maybe had $5 in it.

My wife's car had her CD collection moved from the center console to the passenger seat. Nothing missing.

I guess they didn't her 2010 Corolla. My key in the ignition!

This guy was pretty brazen. I was parked 6 feet from the garage door. Two 90w LEDs are on each side of the garage, they stay on all night, every night. Also, with the key being in the ignition in my wife's car the chime would be going off when they opened the door.

Two blocks up the street a guy had a pistol stolen from his truck.

• Wow! Wow! x 1
  2. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OK, I have to reply. Both keys were in the ignition?

3. mdee

mdee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry that happened.
    Guess it's time to buy some NestCams. No need to buy the outdoor ones. They are just begging to be stolen.
    Get the indoor ones and point it out your window. If you want the highest definition go with the 4K resolution.

4. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had my car broken into in SLC (most cars on our block within a couple week period...) and twice in DC. Once my license plates were stolen in DC. I live in the boonies now, and garage my car, but I still lock it. Old habits die hard ;-)

Sorry this happened, but it can (and does) happen any and everywhere.....

5. runningonthehub

runningonthehub High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Keys in the ignition? You live a privileged life, LOL. Go to Vegas, quick, you have luck on your side.

6. queuetee

queuetee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Keys in the ignition should be a long dropped habit...hope it is now.

I recall my father always did that in the 50s and 60s but even he stopped as the century moved toward the end. My mother was worse. If she locked the back door, the door to the cellar and the door from the cellar to the upstairs hall did not have locks and ( the kicker) she put the keys to the house in her clothespin bag which hung right outside the door. To save herself the trouble from rummaging through the bag, she hung the key chain over the edge of the bag in full view. Those were the days my friend.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The key was in her car, but I was the last one to drive it. If I had been the last driver of the SUV the key would have been in it too.

We usually park in the garage. If I'm at home I always leave the key in the ignition of my SUV, whether it's in the garage or driveway.

I would like to have some cameras.

8. BayouBengal

BayouBengal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In Texas at least. If your car is stolen and you left it running or keys in the ignition insurance will not cover it. I've seen people leave the car running while running into a corner store. Too bad so sad if someone steals it.

9. MiamiDave

MiamiDave You Can't Handle the Truth

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So your car was stolen? Or just stuff from the inside? I don't understand from your title, which states the cars were both stolen. (I'm guessing you were just trying to be fancier than "stolen from" and used the word incorrectly)

In any case, it's a terrible feeling when you are violated by a theft. It's like they were inside your home with you.

10. Tex

Tex VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Unfortunately my days of trusting my fellow man enough to leave my keys in the ignition are long gone.
    Glad you didn't lose a vehicle.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry to hear that, Ty!

I long for the good ol' days when I knew all my neighbors, I didn't have to even think about locking-up all my buildings and property, and people left each others' stuff alone!

Hopefully your change purse was heavy and slows the a$$hole down so the authorities can bring him/her to justice!

RICHARD

12. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The change purse had LAS VEGAS on the side. I'll miss the purse more than the money!

13. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry to hear about the break-in. I've had that happen and what they stole wasn't much, but the violation felt a lot worse than the actual loss.

I'm also sorry about the rude replies you have had here in this thread. I live in an area where not everyone locks their doors and people leave their keys in the car. I try not to do that as prowls do happen here, but they are pretty rare.

• Like Like x 2
  14. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't lock my cars but I would never leave the keys or money in there.

15. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When mom & I lived in SLC, we had a convertible (old Austin Healy Sprite) that we used to leave unlocked - because we didn't want a thief to cut/rip the convertible top to get in! Our insurance agent told us nothing would be insured if we did that.....

I have a convertible now and should check my insurance rules on it...(I do lock it, but when husband drives, he leaves top down and unlocked all the time....)

16. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

Sorry to hear it Ty
    It is a sucky feeling.
    The "perp" might be on someone else's home camera in the neighborhood.
    But those visuals from the camera - can be worthless sometimes.
    My job has cameras that are useless - unless you are an employee on camera -
    and everybody knows you !......then they can ID the person......otherwise impossible.

17. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That repeats what a co-worker told me this morning. They had a similar experience in his neighborhood, the guy wore a hoody and they couldn't tell anything.

18. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can't believe anyone actually leaves keys in their vehicle intentionally!

• Agree Agree x 5
  19. rob889

rob889 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Out of curiousity...unless you admitted it how would the insurance company prove the doors were unlocked or that the keys were in it?

20. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You generally will be filing a police report if you expect your insurer to reimburse you for a stolen car. Generally, lying to the police is a bad idea.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.