1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Other upcoming changes to the Uber app

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by SH0CK, Jun 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was reading an article about the addition of tipping to the Uber app (you can read more of that discussion here) and saw some other changes coming to the app by the end of July.

Not sure what a Teen Account trip or even if that will affect any of us using the service in Vegas, but I can imagine the shorter cancellation window and new waiting fee will change things somewhat for the user, especially at the airport where I've gotten a notification that the driver is there, but no idea what space they are waiting for me at.

2. eaglejohn

eaglejohn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    teen account I believe is usually parents sending a driver to pick their kid up who is underage from and to school or another activity where parent is not with them.
    5 minutes to 2 is also good for drivers who get a call and go towards pick up point and 4 minutes later get a cancel. You should know immediately if you want to cancel if you don't like look of driver on app or for any other reason.
    Wait time is charged on Lyft from the time you get to destination. It is about 11 cents per minute in my area (not Vegas). Don't know how many times I have arrived and waited way more than 5 minutes. I do have the ability to cancel trip if wait is more than 5 minutes, but easier to call a wait a couple more minutes instead of getting a cancel

3. Las Vegan Cajun

Las Vegan Cajun High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always contact my rider and let them know what spot I'm waiting for them in. If the driver doesn't do this first I would contact the driver and ask for the spot he is waiting in.

4. IWannaBeInVegas

IWannaBeInVegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Teen Account is in testing in my city and not rolled out nationwide yet. Basically a parent can set up a sub account for their teens and the parent can limit where the teen can go and such through the account, it is all billed on the parents card. It will come up on the app letting the driver know its a teen request, which personally I prefer over just arriving and some teen tries to jump in my car. I know I have a concern about transporting underage people and refuse to do so, but with the teen account, at least I will know the parent has given permission for the teen to go to the location and such.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Las Vegan Cajun

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like this option too, fortunately for me all the teens I have given rides for the parent requested the ride and contacted me ahead of time.

I'm okay giving them rides knowing that their parents were using their account to request the ride and they knew where their child was going.

6. IWannaBeInVegas

IWannaBeInVegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have had a few parents call after the request to let me know and that was fine with me. I do not like surprises, showing up and them coming out and jumping in. It has always been against the TOS to transport underage persons without a legal adult but 99 percent or better will do it. I have refused quite a few due to feeling uneasy.

7. mdm4sfest

mdm4sfest VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    •Wait time fee: We’re introducing a wait time fee that allows drivers to be compensated by riders for the time they spend waiting after they have arrived at your pickup location. This charge will begin 2 minutes after they arrive and you’ll see this note in your app too. Everyone’s time is valuable, and this ensures a smoother ride for all. To learn more, please visit help.uber.com.

•Cancellation fee update: Previously you had 5 minutes after your driver accepts to cancel a ride without incurring a fee. Now, you’ll be charged a cancellation fee after 2 minutes. We’ve found that 2 minutes is what the majority of riders need to confirm their plans. This change to the cancellation window more fairly compensates drivers for their time.

•Rider Complaints: When looking into rider complaints related to poor driving, we’ll now take into account driver history. Going forward someone with three rider complaints but just 100 trips under their belt will be treated very differently than a driver who has received three complaints but completed 10,000 trips. Instead of a one-size-fits all approach, this policy will take the entirety of a driver’s time using Uber into account.

•Wrong Driver Reports: In addition to relying on rider feedback when suspending a driver—for example, a rider writes in saying that their driver didn’t look like the picture in the app—we will use technology like Real Time ID to validate that the driver is who they say they are and get them back on the road quickly. This will mean less unnecessary time off the road for drivers.
    •Wrong Rider Pickups: There are times when riders report that someone took a trip on their account that wasn’t them. Before, we used to take the rider’s word for it. Now, if a driver disputes this claim, we’ll use technology and input from drivers to determine and validate what actually took place.

•Fare Adjustments: We will now give drivers a say in fare adjustments. For example, there are times when riders accidentally cancel a trip while they’re still on the way to their destination. When this happened in the past, the driver was paid out up to the point of cancellation, even if they claim that they completed the trip. We realized this approach didn’t give appropriate consideration to the driver’s perspective. Going forward, if a driver disputes a fare adjustment, we will validate the claim and make sure they are appropriately compensated

8. Las Vegan Cajun

Trips to Las Vegas:
    All good changes IMHO. Although I feel the wait time charges ought to be bumped up, @ 15 cents/min, the Vegas rate, the driver only gets 11.25 cents/min after Uber takes their 25% cut.

Had a group I picked up from the airport going to the Strip, asked me to make a stop along the way to pick up a few things. I waited 25 minutes for them, they come out with their few things, 8 bags of groceries. So not only do I assist with their luggage I help out loading the groceries.

While heading north on I-15, before I took the exit to their hotel they cancelled the trip. I still proceeded to their destination, get out of the car and help them unload everything along with the bellman.

I contacted Uber about it and there was nothing that could be done to adjust the fare for the continuation of the trip from where it was cancelled to the final destination. I lost out on that mileage and because they canceled, even after starting the trip, I was unable to rate the rider, surely they would not have gotten a 5* or even a 4* it would have been 3* or less if I could have rated them.

And to make matters worse they ate some of their snacks in my car, leaving crumbs on the seats that I had to clean before I could resume business. And the best part, as you can probably guess, no tip from them either.

• Wow! Wow! x 2
  9. JeJas

JeJas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Could passenger cancel the trip after it already started 30 mins?
    If I was the driver, I would take the passenger back to the airport.

10. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That sounds like someone gaming the system. Guess there is always someone trying.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Las Vegan Cajun

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep and what's pathetic is they are getting a dirt cheap ride compared to a taxi and they still pull this crap.

12. vegaskid74

vegaskid74 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    +1000. Maybe I can't stop you from screwing with me, but I can stop you from benefiting from it. I would have dropped them at the spot they cancelled the trip ("Hey Martha, why do you think those guys are walking up I-15 with 8 bags of groceries?"), or taken them back to the point of origin even if it cost me more time and money. Cajun is a much kinder man than me.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.