1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Orleans Increases Resort Fee & Restricts Early Check-in

Discussion in 'Off-Strip Hotels' started by shiny, Jan 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shiny

shiny Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would like to share most recent information with you, as I just got back from Vegas two days ago.

Effective January 1, 2017, there are the changes:

1) Orleans and Gold Coast increase their daily resort fee to $17.99. If you don't have the comp room, you are expected to pay additional $20.15 (resort fee plus tax) per day, on top of your room rate plus tax.

2) Orleans does not allow you to check in before 1:00 PM. They posted a sign by the registration desk in regards to early check-in charges.

3) Gold Coast installed in-room safe inside the closet (finally)!

• Informative Informative x 6
  2. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I usually see signs by registration desks saying check-in is after 3; but more times than not, am able to get into my room before noon. I wonder if the Orleans really means it. And thanks for the info, particularly about the GC safes.

3. bluesdude

bluesdude VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What closet? I don't remember GC having closets.

Maybe not this year. Looking forward to 2021!
  4. Camp Rusty

Camp Rusty VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the info :):):)

I do have a dumb question.......have noticed the early check in fees for several hotels now.

Is there a procedural reason to do this, such as the registration desk is handling the check-outs so it doubles the work at that time of day, or are the housekeeping reports somehow not updated until a specific time, or is staff shift change coordinated for 3:00PM check ins........

......or ( my cynical suspicion) that it's just another way to make a quick buck ?

I guess I can see it on a Saturday or Sunday after a previous full night, but for instance it seems like arriving at noon on a Tuesday would be little different than 3:00PM.

The sooner I am checked in the sooner I am gambling :poker:

5. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Even when I've been unable to get into a room, regardless what time it is, they've always completed the registration process and told me to come back in an hour or whenever for the key. Like many, I prefer to get the check-in process out of the way as soon as possible.

6. wishman35

wishman35 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think this resort fee has been in there system for some time. When I have looked up rates, I have seen the $17.99 resort fee

7. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Orleans has had the early check in fee for awhile. I've actually seen them sell an upgrade option that guaranteed the room as early as 9AM. When I stayed in November, I am pretty sure we checked in before 1PM with no mention of a fee but my mother stayed there over the summer and did have to pay it. I think she got there early morning while our October trip our check in was closer to eleven. They had actually split the counter to handle both check ins and outs.

As to why, yeah, some of this is a cash grab but at the same time, I think the fees probably keep people from congesting the counter when they are processing check outs. They are a small part of the reason I stopped taking the first flight out. I don't want to wake up early to get there and not be able to get into a room considering I don't really sleep on planes. IMO, they need to be careful not to create a situation where the bulk of their guests are all trying to check in at once. I know some hotel chains are testing rolling check ins and outs where you check in at X time and have the room for 24 hours. That's something that would make sense in Vegas.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Trailer666

Trailer666 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I stayed at the Golden Gate in July. I arrived at check-in around 1:30pm and I was told I couldn't check in until 3:00pm. I was thinking really! Never had a problem checking in even before noon there before. Maybe the Orleans is going the way of MGM and Caesar's properties. I hope not as I like the Orleans and the way they treat you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. FullPay

FullPay When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't know if check-out congestion is a thing. I always check out via the room tv menu; if that's not available I just leave the keys in the room and go home. I have seen outrageous check-in lines and I would sooner give my bag to the bellman and go play. Early check in fees are a cash grab that can be avoided much more easily than resort fees.

10. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It depends on the hotel. I've seen some complete clusterf*cks at some hotels that last hour. Personally, I'm more likely to checkout in person if I have room charges.

11. eaglejohn

eaglejohn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    never had a problem checking in earlier than 1 at any hotel. Just lucky and midweek. MSS I have checked in as early as 7 am and 8 am. I believe the resort fee went up $2 if it is now $17.99 plus tax. Was $15.99 last November at Samstown, will have to check if it is all off strip

12. Joejoejackson

Joejoejackson The Max Bet King

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The Orleans is gonna lose lot of Midwesterners if they continue to follow MGM on resort fees and etc....Again the Vegas era is slowly going down hill

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Rush

Rush MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:

I can't see any other reason, other than a cash grab. To think that it makes the job of the clerk easier to only have people checking out from sun up til 3pm, is ridiculous. You have a ton of people coming to the hotel during those times, and now they will bog down the baggage storage making their job miserable from 3pm to who knows how long? Plus, at 3pm it will be a mad rush for HOURS at the desk trying to get hundred of waiting guests into their rooms!

I'm not looking forward to this in three weeks when I get there at 8am, and you can bet I will let you guys know about what I experience.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.