1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Orleans had one cab at their property,Th, July 16, 8AM

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Bernie2, Jul 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bernie2

Bernie2 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This past Th, July 16 at 8AM left the Orleans for the airport and there was one cab there no Lyft, Uber or whatever. The driver told me he had been waiting 1hr 45 min for a passenger. I was real surprised.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
    • Wow! Wow! x 3
  2. thegov2k2

thegov2k2 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't know, 8 AM on a Thursday doesn't seem like it would be a high traffic time at Orleans on a good day, let alone now.

3. seaoftranquilitycruiser

seaoftranquilitycruiser Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was at Paris Thursday morning at 6 am. No doorman was on duty, bell desk was closed. No cabs were present, no Uber or Lyft cars were available in any category. There was a van with Uber and Lyft lights in the front window who was cruising "off the app" looking to pick up an airport run at a rate of $75 cash only ("higher because he is a van") to which I said no thank you. He then came down to $35 cash only to which I again said no thank you. Thankfully, a cab pulled up within 15 minutes and I was able to get to the airport in plenty of time for my flight. I allowed extra time to get a ride to the airport due to my awareness of uber/lyft/cab shortages in Las Vegas and suggest others do the same.

• Wow! Wow! x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. br549

br549 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The guy cruising off the app better watch out. If taxicab authority undercover guys catch him doing that, his car will be impounded and he will be subject to a huge fine.

5. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    With no disrespect to drivers, many of them are not great at staging strategy. Obviously things were different pre-lockdown, but I'd regularly see 3-4 cabs at Aria with a huge line, and then 30+ cabs at Caesars Palace with nobody getting in them.

6. vegasdev

vegasdev VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Take that cab to In-N-Out!

7. seaoftranquilitycruiser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    His cruising off app is problematic on many fronts. If Uber and Lyft found out, he could be terminated. If the taxicab authority/cops found out, he could be fined and lose his car. If cab drivers caught him, he could be physically threatened. For any passengers who take him up on his price-gouging offer, they don't have the extra $1 million in insurance coverage that Uber provides in the event of an accident. There is really no difference in riding along with him off app and riding along with a total stranger off the street who offers a ride. I have a client who was murdered by an imposter Lyft driver so I am more cautious than most when using ride share apps. I suspect he would NOT have been cruising off app if there had been a doorman on duty (as the doorman would have run him off).

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. vsop

vsop High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Gotta agree with post #7, taking a ride from an "off app" rideshare shouldn't even be considered, regardless of the fee...

9. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What a dope. All anybody has to do is photo or copy a license number to report.........

Tirement party over again…..poor thing.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Interesting thread.

It appears even one cab was one too many. He sat there for 1hr 45min and made ZERO $$.

As to on/off app.... I personally could care less about his insurance or being legal or not... as long as it appeared to be "normally" a legal cab with meter and license. That is just me, but I surely would not pay extra.

Then again, I could be totally wrong and this guy was there so long because he wanted so much money per ride....

11. seaoftranquilitycruiser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry, I may have confused matters with my posts. The OP had the cab that had been waiting at Orleans for nearly 2 hours. I posted my experience with a random uber driver at Paris cruising for a fare when no cabs were present and the rideshare apps were showing no cars available. Uber and Lyft cars do NOT have meters, as the fare is set in the app. But this rideshare driver (NOT cab) was driving around looking to pick up a fare NOT through the app.

12. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What a dolt !!

Tirement party over again…..poor thing.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.