1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Orlando and Daytona Beach Suggestions for the Alperts, please!

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Richard Alpert, May 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We are just a couple of weeks away from the Alpert Family Summer Vacation. My bride :love:, our trio of minions (all in middle school now :faint:) and...um... Oh, yeah...me! o_O

We have our accommodations reserved. A rental home in Orlando (with pool), something right on the beach in Daytona (with ocean).

[Side note: We're allowing an extra day for the drive down and back this time. Last year we had some super-long travel days when all the stretch and gas breaks were factored in. Plus our our meals were at sit-down restaurants. (Man, I love Steak N' Shake! :feedme:) Hopefully this year we can take a little time to enjoy the scenery along the way.]

We're doing four days/nights in Orlando and four days/nights in Daytona. Even though I have an unhealthy obsession with Snow White, we are not really Disney fans. My kids would be happy just swimming in the pool and ocean for all 8 days.

My question would be if there are any must-see's, must-do's, or must-eat-at's from your Orlando and Daytona experiences that might interest a Wisconsin geek, his awesome bride, and their intelligent-yet-goofy trio of middle-school minions?

Thank you in advance for your wisdom and/or wisecracks! I'm off to change the oil in the Alpertmobile!

With appreciation,

RICHARD

• Like Like x 1
  2. 93 Octane

93 Octane Chief Bottle Washer

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't know about the minions but maybe Mr and Mrs Alpert should try a authentic Cuban sandwich whilst in Orlando

• Like Like x 1
  3. kevin853

kevin853 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Friend of mine has a holiday home in Orange County. He says really good things about Gatorland which is close to him.

Cannot say personally as haven't visited but maybe suit your minions if you are not too far away.

Anyway have a great time, I love Florida.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. kevin853

kevin853 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Friend of mine has a holiday home in Orange County. He says really good things about Gatorland which is close to him.

Cannot say personally as haven't visited but maybe suit your minions if you are not too far away.

Anyway have a great time, I love Florida.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Natural21

Natural21 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi,

If you are near Cape Canaveral and looking for a restaurant, try Rusty's at the port. It's a neat place on the water where the cruise ships come and go. Charter fishing boats are also there. The place has a good menu with lots of seafood. Prices are reasonable, too.
    Rusty's is probably not on the direct route from Orlando to Daytona, but, if you go east and take the "coast route" you could hit it. Just a cool area with the cruise ships.

http://www.rustysseafood.com/

Have a great trip.

• Like Like x 1
  6. flyguyfl

flyguyfl MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Maybe a tour of the Daytona Speedway of NASCAR fame. They also have a museum of sorts on site.. http://www.daytonainternationalspeedway.com/Tours/Tour-Types.aspx

Oh stay near the Life Guards in Daytona as there have been some shark sightings and they will warn you if some are nearby.

There are some kinda lame amusement parks in the beach area. You may be interested in a drive along the shore north of Daytona and see a state park. If you like BBQ, try Woodys a Florida chain that has good ribs and pulled pork.

I would check Orlando visitor's center for things that may interest the kids. Prices are getting higher each year there for Disney tickets. Disney is opening a revamped part of the park this week.

Will ry to think of things that are normal to us Florida types that you may find interesting.

• Like Like x 1
  7. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Depends on how much of a geek you are. You can always go to Cape Canaveral/Kenney Space center but I think you would enjoy it more than the kids. Busch gardens in Tampa (about a 45 minute drive) is good if you like to ride a lot. Universal studios for the Harry Potter geeks. I don't think the avatar section will be open yet at Disneyworld. Epcot has a number of exhibits and stuff that I enjoyed. To maximize your time in Epcot you should use google to find out how to schedule your day in the park. Some exhibits have a long waiting line so sometimes may be better to visit first.

4 days isn't really enough to get your Orlando fix IMHO. I figure 1 or 2 days at Disney/Epcot/MGM studios, 1 or 2 days at Universal and then you have the other places to visit like Kenney Space Center, Busch Gardens or even gatorland, etc. But with kids it makes the trip even more difficult because it depends on what their interests are.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Gino

Gino "The King of Inappropriate."

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No such thing.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    [Looking it up on urban dictionary]...Oh, my! :eek: :faint:

RICHARD

10. 93 Octane

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know right because there is no large Cuban community in the Orlando area.. zip. zilch.nada. and even if there were they probably wouldnt know how to make one anyway.

11. flyguyfl

flyguyfl MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Universal Studios in Orlando is opening a new water park today with 18 ride/experiences. If you go you ,might explore getting a wristband that keeps you from having to wait in lines.
    Disney has a similar system.

• Like Like x 1
  12. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Pandora opens Saturday actually. I expect lines to be hell though. But they are keeping animal kingdom open till 11p during most of the summer at least, iirc.

As for Orlando, the biggest highlights are Disney and Universal imo, unfortunately it's roughly $100 a person a day at either park just for admission. And the "fast pass" window is probably tight for Disney at this point, probably better to pick Universal as a last minute choice between the two.

One trip with my ex we stayed on International Drive in Orlando, there were some interesting things there, but nothing compared to the major theme parks.

Also on that trip, her sister (who lived there at the time) took us to St. Augustine for the day. If you want to visit a downtown with an old style look, that's the place.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you all for your responses! :thumbsup:
    I'm looking forward to a little fun in the sun!

Right now my legs are so white I look like Powder's stunt double! :eek:

RICHARD

14. Hoofy7

Hoofy7 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I lived in Daytona Beach when I first graduated high school and went to college in Florida. There was a bar right on the beach that had every crazy beer from around the world and German sandwiches as their specialty. You could get yards of beer and the assorted mustards were so good! It was behind the Marriott at that time and the food was SO good! They sliced all the meat fresh and used really high quality ingredients. It's not fancy but perfect while at the beach. Hope it's still there but it was called Bernkastel Festhaus! If it's still there definitely walk in from the beach and get a sandwich with the spicy mustard. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  15. flyguyfl

flyguyfl MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think this business closed after the 2004 hurricanes.

16. Hoofy7

Hoofy7 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That stinks. I waitressed there my first year of college and man did I make a killing during bike week and spring break in tips. The owner was such a nice guy and we had a blast working there.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One more day of school for the minions and for me to hammer through the "honey-do" list here at home before we head south.
    Then time to unplug and have a blast with the bride and the minions! :cool:

Have a great couple of weeks everyone! :D

My goal is to do a tiny-TR upon my return and to share five pictures from our trip!
    The only thing I can guarantee is that the date/time stamp will be wrong on all five pics! :poke: (Self-poke!)

Thank you again for the suggestions!

Until Father's Day,

RICHARD

18. RibbonCat

RibbonCat Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How exciting. Have a great trip Richard!

19. amk121

amk121 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have a great trip!

20. 93 Octane

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have a great time!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.