1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Opinion: What Decade Had the Best Music?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by spdandpwr, Jul 31, 2019.

1. spdandpwr

spdandpwr VIP Whale

So, I had a wild night last night and I am carrying over the residual buzz. In accordance to that, I find myself listening to 80s music. Given this forum is an outlet for us all to discuss topics pertaining to our degeneracy, I couldn't help but start this thread. Particularly as I'm listening to "classic" music.

Given the context, I ask you Vegas Message Board, which decade do you feel had/has the best music?

For me -- and, admittedly, I'm among the younger folk on this forum, so my purview is a bit limited -- I find that the 80s leads the way in terms of which decade had the best music.

Art of the Wild
  2. Johnzimbo

Johnzimbo VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    70's. End of discussion

Big Game Weekend Once Again
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  3. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

America's most valuable agricultural expanse
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    For me it's a genre: classic rock. So that needs to start in the '60s and go most of the way through the '70s. I'm going genre because the '70s also just sucked on the pop side of the ledger. And disco???? (Funk was cool.) In SiriusXM parlance, it's Classic Vinyl and Classic Rewind. It's not monolithic, however. I listen to nearly as much Chill and Spectrum.

• Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. woodsie

woodsie High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The second half of the 20th century is packed with iconic decades musically.

The 80s is my favorite decade in terms of music/movies but I'm tempted to say that the 90s was the best on the basis of the broad scope of music at that time. There was a lot of room in the industry at that time for trying out new ideas.

I can think of lots of artists/songs that got airplay in the 90s that never in a million years would have had a shot in decades before or since.

People talk about "alternative" music but not only did that cover a very wide breadth of styles but it also didn't exclude music from prior decades. Metallica, Aerosmith, AC/DC, Led Zepplin, were all still VERY popular in the 90s and most of them releasing new stuff regularly.

I don't think that it's a coincidence that this coincides with the dramatic expansion of music sales via the highly profitable compact disc format. I think it worked in the same way that the Dotcom bubble put a lot of money in the market for tech startups to try new and wild ideas with respect to the internet.

As the market tightened back up in the late 2000 it seems like the industry moved back to focusing on reliable formulas and was unwilling to take as much risk but maybe that's me getting old.

Capture.JPG

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Love Love x 1
  5. Hogman

Hogman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree with both of you but more with @ken2v . 1964 to 1975 for me those were my high school and college days.

Bellagio 3x Tier Credits
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Kisby

Kisby Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    :headbang:

• Like Like x 2
  7. spdandpwr

spdandpwr VIP Whale

My challenge with this data is that it mirrors the wealth transitions in this country AND clearly shows the effect piracy had on the music industry. To me, it's not a strong enough proxy / determinant of musical preference

Art of the Wild
    • Like Like x 1
  8. spdandpwr

spdandpwr VIP Whale

My counterpoint to all your 70s hysteria are the following bands / songs:
    - Bruce Springsteen / Dancing in the Dar
    - Guns N Roses / Sweet Child of Mine
    - a-ha
    - Toto / Africa
    - Cyndi Lauper
    - The Police
    - Survivor / Eye of the Tiger
    - Michael Jackson
    - Wham
    - Queen
    - Whitney Houston
    - Madonna

I mean I could go on here. The 90s and 00s had great music but I feel like it's not as timeless...

Art of the Wild
  9. gr8whitenorth

gr8whitenorth Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    70's. Period, lock the thread from further comment. :D

• Funny Funny x 4
  10. VegasBJ

VegasBJ VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I liked the 80's for New Wave ( 1st Wave Sirius 33), and the 90's for Grunge / Alternative ( Lithium Sirius 34)

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  11. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The "problem" with that is some of these acts were firmly rooted/established in the '70s. So who is "better," early Springsteen or later Springsteen? Current Springsteen? As for Wham and a few of those other pop "sensations" ... you just lost all cred right there. lol

That's why I think genres are better indicators. There was "rock" in the '50s and there is "rock" today ... and they are about as related as flour is to pancakes.

Addendum: There can be a time component within that genre classification, if for no other reason than my last statement about rock's 60+ year lifespan.

• Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  12. BillDonovan

BillDonovan Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    90s alternative rock is the best

13. UKFanatic

UKFanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As much as I love Led Zeppelin, the answer is the 80's!!!

14. VegasBJ

VegasBJ VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    the 80's is when I used to go the clubs. Back then it was New Order, Depeche Mode, Erasure, Pet Shop Boys, Soft Cell, etc that used to play in the clubs. Growing up in L.A., we were blessed with the leading alternative radio station at the time - KROQ. Most of the deejays still on Sirius 33 New wave Channel - Richard Blade, Swedish Egil, Sluggo, etc, and most of the original MTV V'Jays were all from KROQ (Martha Quinn, Carson Daly, etc). Jimmy Kimmel and Adam Corolla came from Kroq as he they were the sports guys / updates back then and they did bits together. KROQ played all the leading edge new music that no other station would play. I don't know if any of you remember Rodney Binginheimer (sp?), aka Rodney on the Roq, he had a show that would play anything and everything that was obscure that you normally otherwise would never hear. Some of it was good, and some of it was horrible, but he found many of the one hit wonders from that time period by playing all this obscure stuff. First time I heard Sex Dwarfs by Soft Cell, we were like WTF was that?

Anyway, it was a great time for L.A. radio, and that's how I got my affinity for New wave music. I know there are others out there on VMB who were in L.A. during this great time in radio!!

• Love Love x 1
  15. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And a huge factor is age. Duh, Ken. My wife would say Second Wave/'80s.

That's why I like satellite radio -- it doesn't have to be just one thing.

16. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Depends what type of music that you are intp. Obviously, 50's music was best in the 50's.

There are all sorts of bands out there today though still making 50's style music and there are also lots of young people doing blues. Just a matter of looking around for it. I like blues so that usually covers quite a few years.

For rock music I suppose the 80's would be my thing,

17. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Count me as mid 70's to early 80's kinda guy, but as stated above that period mirrors my teenage and college years where life just seemed to revolve around good music, pretty girls and an obsession with both. However, I still download and love a lot of current stuff from Apple music into my phone, but there's a ton of very current popular acts to which I say, "WHO"?

I like true musicians, not techno shit and I love real vocalists, not auto-tuned.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Michael Smith

Michael Smith Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Since you didn't specify a century, I'd have to say the 1790's. I mean, Mozart, Beethoven, Haydn—the greatest music ever composed.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    But none of them ever got their pictures on bubble gum cards.

20. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Why is nobody suggesting the 1920's when all the guys sang in that weird falsetto? Don't know you musical genius when you hear it? :poke:

I agree with that this is going to depend on your age. For me it's late 70's and 80's because that is the music of my formative teen years. I like some music from the 90's and 60's, but nothing sends me on a mental time machine journey like a popular early 80's song. Especially if it's a headbanger. :headbang:

• Agree Agree x 2