1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Open MLife MC after settling up to get points @ Aria?

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by Lawhoo, Apr 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lawhoo

Lawhoo Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Went to Las Vegas with the wife and some friends for the first time Weds-today, stayed at Aria, and we absolutely loved everything about LV/the resort.

Not thinking it'd leave that much of an impression on me, I threw down my current go-to points card. Checked out today with ~$2k bill all in. Now that I know for sure that we'd love to go back, I'm wondering 1) if I canopen up an MLife Master Card in the next 24 and call them and ask to reverse the charges on my standard card and put on the new MC for the point bonuses, and 2) if it's worth it (not sure if it'd really even get me all that much - I haven't really looked into the nitty gritty details that much and thepointsguy understandably doesn't have a lot of reviews on the MLife card)?

Any insight/wisdom to be imparted? Thank you in advance!

2. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I doubt they would reverse charges after the fact

3. Drewm1972

Drewm1972 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We had quiet of few discussions here about the credit card .. can't exactly remember the thread but I believe there's people find it very useful for this credit card. I other hand likes chase bank credit card much better, points you earn thru chase offers much more variety to use vs mlife master card. But make sure you do your homework and make correct decision based on your needs. Regards to have Aria reverse the charge and "recharge" to your mlife; sorry I couldn't offer any help, you probably want to call them directly and see if that's possible.

4. Lawhoo

Lawhoo Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks all - Chase sapphire is actually my standard go-to points card, although I'll churn a new card for the sign up rewards every so often. I'll give Aria a shout and see what they say about getting my bill swapped over to a different CC (maybe will get lucky since it's their brand card).

5. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can't speak specifically to your specific vendor but, yes, sometimes you can call and get them to refund you on the one card and charge you on another, but it would have been easier if you'd done it before you left.

The challenge you are going to have is that it's going to take you days to get the card itself.

Return to Greatness
  6. Patman

Patman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wouldn't expect them to do it, but even it they were willing, it isn't worth the trouble. You don't get very much going up tier levels. Free parking which you get with the card anyways if you get it, little higher slot multiplier, ....

7. flyguyfl

flyguyfl VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It may be worth it as if you get something like 10,000 points if you charge $1000 in the first three billing cycles (month each). That is $100 free play most places in MGM.

8. jr7110

jr7110 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Actually, this is incorrect because I just did this a couple of weeks ago with another upscale hotel in another major city.

Somehow I gave a different card upon check in than the card I wanted to use for points and when I got my statement and realized it, I called the accounting department of the hotel (this is what the OP should ask for at Aria - accounting, not the front desk because only accounting can do this transaction). They emailed me an authorization form to fill out, sign and email back so that they could charge the new card and credit the previous one. It was done without any problem whatsoever. Hotels do this all the time.

The main problem is the OP thinking he can open the MLife MC in 24 hours....I remember when it first came out some people were approved instantly while others had to wait a week or two to receive a letter letting them know it was approved. My reversal of the transaction was initiated a few weeks later, after I received my statement so I would say it is definitely worth a try, even if the Mlife card takes a couple of weeks to be approved.

Not only do you get a ton of points for charging X amount of dollars in the first three months, but you get three times points and tier credits for every dollar your spend on premises at Mlife locations, and that would apply to that hotel bill (less resort fees, tips etc of course).

9. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I do not think you want to even try to go down the road with accounting on reversing charges, etc. They might help the next day... but a week or two later when you get the new card? I see many hours of pain in your future.

As to cards... Chase Saphire will get you way more than what the mlife card will get you.

10. jr7110

jr7110 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm not sure why you're seeing many hours of pain in his future lol

You credit one card and charge the other. You pay the second bill. That's really the extent of it. I just did it and trust me, I am completely pain free!!!

11. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Here's the problem. It's not difficult to find a card that gives you 2% cash back.

Each MLife point is worth one cent, or 1%. They give you 3% on MLife hotel spend, 2% on gas and grocery, and 1% on everything else. So let's say you use the MLife card for everything.

In order to average out to a 2% return overall, your MLife hotel spend has to be equal to your "everything else" spend. Not likely.

12. Lawhoo

Lawhoo Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Definitely agree with you - I wouldn't add this card to my ordinary rotation. I would just use it to pay this particular Aria bill to get the multiplier for spending at MLife properties and then otherwise and maybe something every 6 months to keep it active until the next time I visit an MLife property for spending for MLife multiplier.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Exactly. Charge $1,000 to get the $100.00 bonus, then just get the 3% on hotel spend. You maintain Pearl as long as you use it once every 12 months, which also keeps your ECs alive for 12 months.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.