1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

On a comp, pay for upgrades?

Discussion in 'Comps' started by rscpa, Jun 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rscpa

rscpa Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I last stayed at Bellagio in December, we had a certificate for upgrade to suite. Big problem, now the Mrs. loves the Bellagio Suite. I tried to book my next trip in November and they wouldn't allow me to book a suite and have to see if available at check in. They said comp nights were only for regular room and nothing could be done. Even offered to pay difference for suite now. No luck. Any way around it?

2. JosieCat

JosieCat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, M Life properties won't let you pay for an upgrade ahead of time. However - my last stay at Bellagio was last December during the holiday gift shop, so my reservation was for a regular room. The morning of my trip, I called to see if they were going to have any suites available that I would be able to pay to upgrade to when I got there. They had a Bellagio Suite available and she changed my reservation right then. I don't remember what I paid for the upgrade, but I had plenty of express comps to cover it. So, it's certainly worth a phone call the morning before you leave.

Sister Trip - New Dates (Again)
  3. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep, my experience is that MGM and CET properties won't let you upgrade in advance on a comp offer.

MGM just plain refuses (outside of @JosieCat 's example), unless you get one of those E-upgrade emails. I don't know if they still do those.

CET, if you're using the website to book an offer, it shows you the rooms that are compable as $0 per night. If you want to book a higher room type, it quotes you full rate (ie. if you can get a $100 room comped. they don't apply that amount as a discount on a higher room). CET also used to do E-upgrades, not sure if they still do. E-upgrades aren't a sure thing though, even if you take one.

As far as I know, Cosmo will still quote you a rate for upgrading a comp when you call to book, I've done it a few times. I don't think they apply any additional discount - it looks to me like they take the best available retail rate for the room type you want and then subtract the comp value of the room you qualify for, and that's your upgrade fee. You probably can save a few bucks by waiting until check-in, but I like to lock it in.

4. Ezzy711

Ezzy711 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was at Bellagio a few weeks ago and inquired at check in. First they offered me a penthouse for $250/night. That was too steep for me but it was all they had (slot tourney in full swing). After lots of discussion i agreed but it was sold out from under me. They had others, not with fountain view. I told them I'd wait and they found a Bellagio Suite for $150/night. I got some food and played some slots. The room was ready about an hour or so later. I think that number came up because when they quoted the penthouse I said I didn't want to pay more than $150. You might be able to negotiate better.

Last June I had a Cypress Suite for $175 but it was only on the 8th floor. I had a better view of the villa pools than the fountains but that is an amazing room. Look it up on YouTube.

Good luck! Happy wife, happy life.

5. Dean Martin

Dean Martin VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I get offers from the Beau Rivage in Biloxi (also an MGM property) and they're the same way. The offer always says possible free upgrade to a suite for Sun thru Thurs nights but they will never do anything in advance, I just have to ask at check-in.

6. rscpa

rscpa Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you all for the quick responses! Guess I will keep my fingers crossed.. :D

7. YukonSloMo

YukonSloMo High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is a great question....I have often wondered about an upgrade worked on top of a comp. usually we are quite content with our comps @ Wynncore, Mlife or Cosmo. But just for the hell of it, I will ask what the upgrade cost is at Delano from a Scenic suite and similarly at Cosmo 1 BR fountain view.

8. lubbie

lubbie Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Last week we were on a comp in NYNY. We had a spa suite comped and for 20 dollars a night we got an upgrade to a Marquise suite. It was amazing! So it does sometimes work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.