1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

OK, I must be an "old fogey", because I didn't like "Hamilton"

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by DaiLun, Jul 9, 2020.

1. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just like "La La Land", I couldn't even get through the first musical number.

Now, I'm used to musicals where I could get into the plot, like

The King and I (Anna and the King of Siam)
    My Fair Lady (A Cinderella story)
    The Sound of Music (The Von Trapp's escape from the Nazi's)
    The Music Man (A con man tries to flim-flam the citizens of a small town in Iowa)
    Flower Drum Song (Immigrants coming to America)
    Camelot (King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table)

even Carousel, although it had acts of spousal abuse

The list goes on and on.

In the theater I have seen

A Chorus Line
    Annie
    Evita (twice)

They had stories that I could "get in to".

I mean, what was the story of "La La Land", two people who had dreams in Hollywood?

Hamilton?? The life of Alexander Hamilton??

What am I missing here, or am I just "too old"?

Well, Canada and Massachusetts are closed, back to Lake Tahoe
    Oh what the heck, I've got vacation and myVegas points to burn. . . .
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. progrocker2112

progrocker2112 Watch out for this guy

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I hate the subject matter because I sided with the anti-federalists of the founding fathers, but no politics here! I'll just say to Aaron Burr, hey man nice shot. What a good shot man.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Robin W

Robin W Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hamilton is amazing in my opinion. If you stick through it you get a story of love, death, war, freedom and redemption. It’s an ode to so many things and I never make it through the second act without tears.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. JoJoR

JoJoR VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Everyone and their mom has seen Hamilton around here, so the hype was pretty built-up. I watched it this past weekend and thought it was ok. My opinion is that it was designed to be watched in a theater and not on TV. I felt like I was missing a bit of what was going on. I'd be down to see it in person next time it rolls through town, but I won't be watching it on Disney+ again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was skeptical about how effective seeing a Broadway show on the television was going to be, but I thought they did a good job of presenting the show.

Dan had a little trouble following the lyrics at first, but once he got into it, he was hooked. I thought the show did a good job of presenting the story in a fresh, but straightforward way. I have some issues with how some of the facts were presented, but that's not what my job was when I was watching. :) Everyone has a side in history, but the politics is something to be discussed elsewhere.

I also would like to have a word with my high school history teacher for not ever letting me know there was a Hercules Mulligan out there in our history, who was so influential to Alexander Hamilton, but I had never heard of that name before July 3rd. What a name, what a story.

We have plans to watch it again this month, before we cancel Disney Plus. :) I enjoyed seeing how they presented some "favorite" characters from history. Lafayette was a joy, but I got a little confused at first when he came back as Jefferson. o_O

What I was not at all prepared for was Eliza. What a performance she gave and when she screamed in Act 2, I was covered in goosebumps. And at the end of the show, when she brought together all the characters stories in Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Tells Your Story, I was entranced. As she talked about how she told her husband's story and then went on to tell us about her story and then the gasp.... No spoilers, but I was a mess. :cry:

Kudos to Phillipa Soo for that amazing performance in a cast dominated by so many strong performers.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Who lives, who dies, who tells your story??

I have seen Hamilton in the theater and will be seeing it again in the theater (I have tickets for the touring show but who knows what date it will be - might be far enough out not to change) I did get Disney+ to see it again and with the original cast since I wasn't able to see them perform live (since I listen to the soundtrack all the time....) Next time I watch, I'll use closed captioning for even better understanding the lyrics. I've seen the doc on PBS and the White House workshop of it and....Well you could say I'm a fan. [I was also a history major in college - European history & diplomacy - but I did take some Am history courses anyway, and lots of government courses....]

Unlike OP, I don't like the earlier musicals from the 50s & 60s - not my style, really, I don't enjoy the music. I came of age during ALW's heydey so that's what I'm most used to and enjoy. I saw Evita when it came out (Patti LuPone!!! Mandy Patinkin!!) at age 7. I had the double album vinyl! And I made my Barbie dolls act it out!!! If I were a kid today, my dolls would probably be acting out Hamilton ;-) And if I had kids, they for sure would be singing inappropriate lyrics the same way I did (my parents were really happy I didn't understand a lot of Evita at the time!)

Entertainment choices aren't designed for 100% approval. It's ok not to like something that "everyone" else likes. You tried it, it's not for you - move on ;-) I don't like Cirque du Soleil shows and have never seen an episode of Survivor or Game of Thrones or any number of other "must see" entertainment options. I feel fine about that ;-)

• Like Like x 1
  7. bdautch

bdautch VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I saw the production on Broadway and found it deeply immersive, but I am also deeply fascinated by the source material. That said, I thought the movie was just so-so. Perhaps those who think it belongs on stage have a point.

[​IMG]

8. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I absolutely believe theater belongs on the stage. BUT theater is not easily accessible - ESPECIALLY Hamilton - so I really appreciate they filmed it (NOT cheap; I've listened to interviews about this) so many more people have the chance to see it. You never know who might be inspired!

[by the same token - I also appreciate years of Great Performances on PBS!!]

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Robin W

Robin W Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Phillipa Soo is incredible! I’ve watched it a couple of times now and she still brings me to tears several times in the second half. I also absolutely love Rene Elise Goldsberry’s (Angelica) performance of Satisfied. I’ve never seen a performance like it with the “rewind”. As amazing as the male performances were, and I LOVED some of them, the women of Hamilton stoke the show for me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. BlacklabberMike

BlacklabberMike MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Paint Your Wagon, now that's my idea of a musical along with Guys and Dolls...

I have some thoughts on Hamilton, but I won't divulge them for fear of getting 86'd.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  11. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Two that I forgot!!

Well, Canada and Massachusetts are closed, back to Lake Tahoe
    Oh what the heck, I've got vacation and myVegas points to burn. . . .
  12. Johnzimbo

Johnzimbo VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Alexander Hamilton? I assumed it was about that tall kid in Fast Times at Ridgemont High

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Televised versions of stage plays nearly always disappoint. Hugh Jackman in "Oklahoma!" was one exception. As a student of the Bard, I have watched dozens of televised live plays and television adaptations and have nearly always found them lacking. Movie versions can be better occasionally. Or much worse, MEOW!

Like many shows before it, "Hamilton" has become a crowd favorite, and also something of a cause celebre. This double whammy makes casual reviews almost entirely unreliable. Ignore the reviews, find a tv with a great sound system, turn on closed captioning anyway, and make your own mind up AFTER you see the show. Just realize that the box has its limits.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. DsqrdDGD909

DsqrdDGD909 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Full disclosure. Old guy who did a fair amount of theater when I was younger such as Damn Yankees, Music Man, the Fantasticks, Guys and Dolls. Have seen lots of musicals in the theater. My daughter is a Broadway nut. She and my wife saw Hamilton in Chicago.

I enjoyed the movie, but I had to resort to following along with lyrics from the Internet. My daughter said the movie just can’t capture the experience of being there.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
    Backup #1 Poker, Buffalo, Pool, cheap eats.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Julie888

Julie888 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    After watching it on Disney+, I read to turn on the closed captioning. I’ll watch it again to catch the finer points. There’d never be an opportunity to see this show anywhere else.

16. flyguyfl

flyguyfl VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not too old and not alone.

17. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The night of the Tony awards where Hamilton crushed it, they resumed online ticket sales and I was able to score a pair of tickets for a random Tuesday night in May, it was 14 months away. One of my nephews is a big fan of the theater but had been in a little trouble. As a carrot and stick I told him if he kept his nose clean for the next year I would take him to the show. It worked and we had a great night together, that was three years ago and he still talks about going up to NY for the show.

I enjoyed the filmed version on Disney+ very much, I put on the closed captions, turned off the lights and put away the iPad. My main thought about the show was that Lin Manuel Miranda knocked this so far outta the park that it will be impossible to come close for his next project. He is an incredible talent and it shows; people routinely bought scalped tickets for two and three times face value. But like my Mom used to say, there’s no accounting for taste and that’s why they make Vanilla and Chocolate ice cream.

I think it was a good move to put this on the small screen as it will keep the interest up for folks to see Hamilton road shows once things open up. It’s tough to capture all of the stage action onto the TV screen without making the actors appear too small, but I think this was well edited.

Another show that is worth seeing on TV is Phantom of the Opera filmed at the Royal Albert Hall. I had taken my daughter to see it on Broadway and it we had a great time.

As for movies based on 50’s musicals, I would say that The Music Man is one of my faves. Being in the Sales profession my entire career, I loved the plot and how Robert Preston’s character was able to wrap the whole town around his finger, plus he got Shirley Jones in the end. Bonus: Ron Howard’s big break as Jones’ son.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
    • Love Love x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. topcard

topcard Celebrating 40 Years of Vegas Trips in 2020!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    ...from your list above, plus:
    Guys & Dolls (Sinatra & Brando with a floating crap game!)
    Les Miserables (Wolverine steals a loaf of bread & falls in love with Catwoman!)
    Mary Poppins (What boy wouldn't want a magical beauty for a nanny?...plus, Dick Van Dyke was perfect!)
    :beer:

19. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    But did you like The English Patient?

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. mdm4sfest

mdm4sfest VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My parents are 68 and 70 hence I dont think they understand or like it one bit. My gf and I were lucky to see it in the beautiful Playhouse Sq in downtown Cleveland and absolutely loved it. It was quite an insane performance.