1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Now the snow starts, then the cold comes

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe, Dec 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OK the snow just started a hour ago and they are saying up to 12" by tomorrow evening. Then it becomes the old one-two punch. Below zero Sat night; high Sun of -4 and a low of -12F.

It's been 6 years since we moved back and I do like Wisconsin, plus all three of my older brothers are in the area, but damn, the older I get the harder, these winters become.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. ExVegasLocal

ExVegasLocal Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's getting cold here in Denver tonight too. I have learned to start planning my winter getaways while it's still too warm outside to remember that the winter is coming. So far, I've got long weekends in Palm Springs, Las Vegas, San Francisco (not warm, but not sub zero), and a week in Puerto Vallarta lined up between now and the end of March. I booked them all before the end of July.

I may try to squeeze one more trip to SoCal somewhere in there. I'm watching for a deal.

3. greekjim

greekjim VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yea suppose to snow all day tomorrow by me in my part is Wisco

4. touche22

touche22 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know exactly what you mean. I cherish the winters of my youth but in my adult fatherhood years I tire of it pretty quick. We are sitting on a foot of snow now with another 10" forecasted tonight. just got thru -20 nights. Supposed to make me a hardy Canuck but mostly makes me miserable.

5. LV2GAMBLE

LV2GAMBLE Certified LOW Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey Joe, we gotcha beat. High of -6 on both Saturday & Sunday. And a low of -24 on Sunday. Don't think we were expecting any snow though besides the bit we had today.

6. Fafa2e

Fafa2e High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm leaving for Vegas in the morning, but contemplated not going because it's too cold in Vegas. I'm coming from Fort Lauderdale, FL with 80 degree highs and lows in the upper 60s. Not trying to rub it in, just a different perspective.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Geogran

Geogran Whooo. Whooo.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Brrr, that is bone crunchingly cold - assuming you folks have backup generators...stay warm, maybe a hot toddy is in order.

8. chitownjohn

chitownjohn High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sunday
    Patchy blowing snow before noon. Sunny and cold, with a high near -2. Wind chill values as low as -25. West northwest wind 5 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph.

Miserable conditions for football, anybody going to the Bears vs Packers game on Sunday?

9. salemorevegaslover

salemorevegaslover Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey Joe,
    Oregon is covered in snow, freezing rain and slush. I hate this crap too.
    I'm looking forward to Vegas in late March for MM and, hopefully, warmer temps.

10. greekjim

greekjim VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If I went I would root for a bears L, to get the better draft pick

11. flyguyfl

flyguyfl VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well we are facing a record high for this day of 85. Normally around 74/75 for this day in Florida. Snow looks pretty on TV.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Publius

Publius Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's too cold here in western Illinois. Snowing today with high winds and then chilly weather with temps in the -5 range. It's making me want to move

13. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just wanted to add this. We got up this morning figuring since it snowed until sometime around 11 PM, there would be an awful lot to move. Opened the garage door and there was maybe a half inch. Turns out my neighbor and his wife came out after he got off second shift and did mine and the guy next door. This is the third time they have done this. They're in their mid 30s and us being in our mid 60s, I guess we look really old to them and need all the help we can get.

It sure is a pleasant surprise! What a great neighborhood we moved into.

It can be a funny sight. He does this after work and he is a County deputy sheriff. The first time I saw this it was a bit warmer and he was running the snowblower in uniform and still with his gun on his hip.

He doesn't drink, so I was thinking maybe take him and wife out for a nice dinner to show our appreciation.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    DSCF0342.JPG

We were expecting 8" last night and ended up with only 3".
    My bride says that's what she's used to...

Oh, well!

RICHARD

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. martinr

martinr VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey Richard, I get emails all the time from products advertising results like you were "expecting". If you increase frequency, does that count as a cumulative total?

Wake Me Up When September Starts!
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. mona

mona Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Why would we need backup generators? I would say 95% don't have them here is MN or WI. The furnace and electricity still works when it is cold.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.