1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Not too Frugal I hope...

Discussion in 'Las Vegas for the Frugal (not Cheap)' started by Starz22, Dec 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Starz22

Starz22 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I read here about saving money while being in Vegas.
    I have a question about the small bottles of alcohol you can bring with you on the plane (or in your checked luggage).Is it really ok to bring some with you? I have never tried that.

I do...bring a small coffee maker with me with all the fixings.I brought a couple of the foldable coolers with also. I took a cab to Vonn's and bought some snacks for my room...fruit,bread,lunchmeat,muffins,milk,water and some alcohol.The cab ride there and back cost me over 50 dollars.I read some where here that Vonns will deliver to your room? Where can I find that information pls?
    I'm not one who wants to pay for a 15 dollar cheeseburger when I wake up.I can have some cereal a V8 ,and a banana in my room before I spend my day walking the strip.

Also...is there a cheaper way to get to Freemont Street from the strip? I usually pay over 25 dollars one way by cab.I have tried to figure out the bus routes,but none seem too easy to me.

2. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's perfectly okay to bring those miniatures as long as they fit inside the quart size plastic bag that goes through Security with other liquids. No problem, though some high-test alcohol, such as pure grain and 151 rum is prohibited. (Not that anyone is likely to notice.) Be advised, however, that FAA regulation state that any alcohol must be served by certificate holder operating the aircraft, meaning that it's a no-no to consume that which you brought with you!
    www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library%5CrgFAR.nsf/0/4169CCE6717F88B386256BC9004338B6?OpenDocument

That said, as long as you're discrete, you shouldn't have any problems pouring your own. Just don't do it while the flight attendant is looking, make a big production of it or overdue it. Let's see, miniatures sell for $1 at most of the liquor stores around here, while Delta sells them for $7. I know what I'd do!

As for getting downtown, at lot depends where on the Strip you're starting from. The WAX stop by NYNY (about every hour) provides the quickest and least expensive way to go downtown. Further north along the Strip, your best bet would be the SDX (Strip/Downtown Express), though it costs several bucks depending if you buy a 2 or 24 hour pass. For heaven sakes, avoid the Deuce. Except for off-hours, you could walk faster! It really pays to figure out the bus system; it's a reliable and inexpensive way of getting around.

3. Huddler

Huddler VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Its almost 4 hours from Nashville to Las Vegas and SWA does not serve Crown Royal. So, I bring a quart sized zip lock back with 4 airplane sized bottles of Crown. I just ask for a full can of coke and a glass of ice from the flight attendant and pour my drinks when she isnt watching.

4. gpenguins67

gpenguins67 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My buddy usually brings a bottle of scotch with him and has never had a problem. He also has taken back the remainder of bottle of Jack Daniels that he didn't finish in the room back home. He puts it with his checked luggage. Its always been a normal sized 750mL or 1L bottle.

5. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always bring mini bottles on the plane in my carry on and have never had a problem. Just make sure they all fit in the quart sized bag (I think they hold 8-10). Like others said just don't draw attention to yourself while drinking them and you'll be fine.

6. vegas_junkie

vegas_junkie Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'll pack a couple 750 ml bottles in a 3-bottle cardboard wine box and toss it in my checked luggage. I don't worry about it breaking, it's way cheaper, and I still have room for all my clothes and stuff.

7. AliGee

AliGee Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  8. Roo

Roo Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Vons

I Vons delivery service is great but you do have to place a minimum order and they will deliver for free. $49 first time orders

9. Starz22

Starz22 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you so much for the information about Vonns. This is gonna save me 2 cab rides in June! Now...just need to decide where to stay.
    Oh...just started myveagas on facebook.I can't believe you can get free stuff for doing nothing!
    Finding out so much good information on this message board.Thanks again!

10. Dewey089

Dewey089 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Simple and easy to go from the strip to downtown on one of the two strip buses. And a good bit cheaper than a cab.
    We frugal board bus folks do a lot of work looking for the absolute cheapest, like the route that Turtleman suggested, but before you take a cab, just go to a stop along Las Vegas Boulevard that has a machine, buy and validate a ticket, and hop on the SDX.
    It does not run 24/7, so late night early morning you will have to take the Deuce back.
    An all access 24 hour pass will cost you $8 and cover your ride down and your ride back or if you want to shop on the way back, you can take a residential route, buy your snacks on some cross street near where you want to be on the strip, and then take a bus back to your hotel.

Also, if you want to get snacks just take a bus off the strip East along Tropicana or Flamingo and there are plenty of places. Tell us where you are and we'll tell you exactly where to shop.I am always somewhere along Flamingo, so I use that route going East toward Boulder. Plenty of stores along that route.
    If your shopping is within your 24 hour all access pass $8 allowance, good. If you do it by itself it is $2 each way or $5 for another 24 hour residential pass that technically is not good on those strip buses, but good on any other buses, including the WAX that Turtleman suggested for a quick ride downtown.

And there are lots of other possibilities.
    Check this site for the routes and a great little google travel tool that will tell you the exact bus routes to get from one place to another once you have the address, or even sometimes if you just have the name.

http://www.rtcsouthernnevada.com/

Clicking TRANSIT will get you the directions and schedules. Print them before you go.

Here is the strip route for the SDX.
    http://www.rtcsnv.com/wp-content/themes/rtc/pdf/12/SDX(09-30-12).pdf
    The Deuce runs the same route, but stops more often at more locations, and takes longer to board. That schedule in on the same site.

Finally, I keep a blog dedicated to Vegas buses. See the bottom of this page. It might be worth skimming for possibilities.
    $50 for a cab to get snacks is the opposite of frugal. I go for 23-25 days and get unlimited transporation for just $32.50 for the entire trip because I am a senior. I stay and go anywhere I like and stock my room with snacks often. So the price of your one cab ride gives me a month of transportation and leaves me with enough change from the Hamilton to use two matchplays( which let me gamble so frugally that the odds are in my favor,) and even after wildly putting my $15 at risk on the craps table, and even if I lose, I will have change left have for breakfast at Terribles. Well, not counting the tip.

11. MINIcoopKJG

MINIcoopKJG Guest

You should also join Social Rewards. You have to spam your Facebook friends, but you get Total Rewards credits for doing it. I only had $80 built up for our trip last year. I have $130 built up right now and our trip isn't until May. Just make sure to "cash in" about 3 or 4 weeks before your trip so that the points are on your TR card when you get to Vegas. This is the website:

https://web.socialrewards.com/totalrewards/

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.