1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Nick McGlashan, 33

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Breeze147, Dec 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nick was the deck boss on Wild Bill Wachrowski’s FV Summer Bay on Deadliest Catch. He battled drug addiction on the show, but no cause of death was given.

These guys seem to drop like flies at very early ages. There’s been at least 5 in the last 2 years.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. zoobrew

zoobrew VIP Whale

Logging and fishing are not jobs for the faint hearted. Plus these stats most likely don't include all the drug overdoes that go along with all the non fatal injuries that these jobs produce.

According to the 2017 data, commercial fishermen may have the most dangerous job in the country. There were 99.8 fatalities for every 100,000 full-time workers.

https://www.arnolditkin.com/personal-injury-blog/2019/august/the-latest-workplace-fatality-statistics-in-2019/

2. Fishers and related fishing workers
    • Fatal injuries in 2016: 86.0 per 100,000 workers
    • Total: 24 fatal injuries
    • Most common accident: N/A
    • Median annual wage: $27,110
    Commercial fishing can be a hazardous undertaking, as it is largely physical work. Fishers and related fishing workers can also be exposed to environmental factors such as extreme weather that people in other fields may not be exposed to. In addition, workers may be out on the water or working from a remote area when an accident occurs, and easy access to a hospital or medical professional may not be readily available.There were 86 deaths for every 100,000 full-time workers in the field in 2016, the second most of any job.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/careers/2018/01/09/workplace-fatalities-25-most-dangerous-jobs-america/1002500001/

• Informative Informative x 2
  3. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not counting the two crab fishing vessels not featured on the show, but everyone knew them, that sunk, which accounts for another 10 lives.

4. joespoolhall

joespoolhall VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Pretty crazy lifestyle. Even these days, you might work 4-6 weeks and make 6 mo income. The young guys go nuts and nuts doesn't always go away easy.
    In the 80s, I ran a rock night club north of town. I had a couple of captains that came in and a lot of deckhands off season. The money flowed. One of my customers was a great guy name Bill. Understand that back in the 80s, crab fishing was like an ATM. They didn't have quotas like today, so they made a mint. Bill's first day in town, he'd buy a Corvette cash and come in that night spending money right and left. He'd also bring me a ton of King Crab legs and halibut cheeks. next day he was off for two weeks in Hawaii. When he got back he'd spend most nights at our place. O, did I mention a purchase or two of coke? It was the 80s after all.
    About Dec he'd sell the Vette and but something to get around in 'till he left to go back in Jan.
    One year I didn't see him much after Hawaii. He came in one night in August to invite me to a party at his place. He gave me the address. I showed up and he gave me the tour. At the end, he said he bought the joint cash. Instead of spending the summer buying booze and drugs, he bought a house. Good trade off!

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  5. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Idle hands are the devil’s workshop.

This happens to many seasonal workers who make a fortune in a few weeks, then spend it on drugs and booze.

6. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

My good buddy from HS
    Got caught in the winch....
    his hip was crushed/dislocated
    He laid on deck for hours til helicopter medivac arrived
    He won some money out of it and bought a condo.
    He is still involved
    but he has had " too much time on his hands " between jobs ( his quote )
    and has battled some demons.

7. joespoolhall

joespoolhall VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Definitely a problem for some of these guys. You make a fair amount of money in a short time and then have time to do whatever. Even worse back in the day. What's the old adage, idle hands...........

8. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can't believe he was only 33. I feel like he's been on the show a long time, thought he was older than that. It's hard living with some of these guys. What a shame.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.