1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

NFL Fantasy Football

Discussion in 'The Sports Book' started by Readingfanman, May 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Readingfanman

Readingfanman Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey guys, don't know how many of you play a bit of Fantasy, but it'd be great to get a league going on here for the 2014 season with a bit of a prize on the side. Could keep it simple, 12 or 8 man league with $50 entry or something. Any interest?

2. MTMONGO

MTMONGO High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would be up for it. You can't be in to many leagues.

3. meyers67

meyers67 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd be interested as well.

4. fenway68

fenway68 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I play. what type of rules do you propose? PPR? We use yahoo! what site were you thinking?

5. undathesea

undathesea Grandissimo

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The standard is 10 team league, no? I've been in one 12 team league and many, many 10 team leagues, but never in an 8 team league.

I think on an anonymous board it would be too hard to manage the money. You could put it all in up front in an escrow account managed by a neutral third-party, but who is the someone that all can trust?

I know $50 is not much to most, but it just takes that one person to get fired up and then it all goes to hell. Besides, I think the only person around here everyone would agree to trust is Sonya, and I doubt she's going to want anything to do with it.

6. fenway68

fenway68 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd be willing to play for "bragging rights" we do that at work, where everyone is a bunch of cheapskates...of course I won this year, thats why I am grumbling...(won the $$ NCAA toruney tho so that kinda made up for it...) bragging rights twice and some cash!

7. NativeSoCal

NativeSoCal Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

^^What he said ^^
    You need minimum 10 teams, but preferably 12.
    Heck, in leagues where I DO know the people there are always money issues at one time or another, or someone loses interest because their team is at the bottom.
    $50 league with only first place money? ......maybe......add in 2nd and 3rd place money and it ain't worth it.....unless the buy-in goes up.

8. undathesea

undathesea Grandissimo

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep... the standard format I used to play was a 10 team PPR, 2 QB, all TDs worth 6 pt, and a $125 entry fee. That included a $25 weekly winner in terms of total points and we finally migrated to a $10 penalty to be assessed weekly for the team with the lowest points (to keep people interest until the end). The weekly loser paid the weekly winner for a $35 weekly win. Of course, there's always one or two team that suck and they could refuse to pay the extra assessment in the end. That was a good system that ultimately collapsed under the stress of the few people that annually sucked at FF and those that were dominant year in and year out.

The only other way to keep teams interested until the end of the season is an 8 team playoff system to keep most teams in the money and a two week super bowl to ensure that the winning team doesn't just have a few fluke weeks.

IMO, after years of doing a ton of analysis on players, PPR with QBs earning 4pts for passing TDs and all other TDs worth 6pts is the most fair system in terms of almost equal value for each position. Personally, I like the stress of a 2 QB league. Much more challenging and easier to dominate.

9. fenway68

fenway68 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    as current commish of my league (and a very rookie one at that) I like these thoughts...8 team playoff with a 10 team or 12 team league? do you do 2 divisions or 1...?

What other positions do you use? we had our flex WR/RB/TE instead of just WR/RB for example...

feel free to take this to PM's...so as not to hog this thread, would love some advice to keep my league interesting this year

10. undathesea

undathesea Grandissimo

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Unfortunately, bragging rights don't work on an anonymous forum.

Teams that are losing lose interest quickly and they abandon their teams quickly. This leads to competition among very few teams and the teams that end up winning are those that play more often against the teams that fail to set their lineups weekly since they've been abandoned.

You can give a guy crap at work for not setting his lineup against someone that you need him to beat because you're vying for the number seed... but on an anonymous board it doesn't work the same way.

11. undathesea

undathesea Grandissimo

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No need to PM. Personally, after looking at the TE position year in and out there are about 3 TEs per year... maybe 4... that produce like a WR. Every other TE average roughly the same amount of points the entire season (much variance per week though). So, there's no harm in adding the TE position to the flex position.

Personally, I love it when managers load up on TEs for this reason. They're using bench spots for TEs that are average when they could be using those spots for farm spots. I'd much rather be hoarding prospective talent on my bench rather than a TE that is producing average numbers for a TE and below average for every other position on my roster. At least with the ability to use those TEs in the flex spot is a better reason to hoard mediocre TEs on the bench.

Leagues with 2 QBs (10 team max) are easier to dominate because QBs score more TDs than any other position. You get a Brady and a Rodgers on your team, that's a juggernaut that isn't getting beaten until those guys get hurt or go on a bye. You can spread that out by creating a 1 QB league though.

I don't like 12 team leagues... though the only time I played I lost in the SB and wasn't asked back because I won the lions share without even winning the super bowl. But I still didn't like the format. We've never done divisions but I've helped people who use the format. Personally, I've never seen the reason to do that unless you want to pay extra for top seeds in each division. But, if the teams aren't equally weighted, you could have a division with a teams that are extremely good and competitive and one division that sucks but is still winning money and getting top seeds because there's not much competition in them. Less of an advantage in single division leagues. Things spread out better and more equally.

I don't like IR spots either. Make the manager drop someone who is out for 6 weeks because he needs to. Make him manage his roster.

Also, think about the waiver numbers. We've played it both ways... reset weekly and reset upon use. Both have pros and cons. Resetting every week will give top teams less of an advantage and bad teams more of a chance to catch up but resetting upon use makes you really think about how you use your waiver number and not as quick to snap up a player if it means going to the back of the line.

12. meyers67

meyers67 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think we may be heading to a "paralysis of analysis" scenario.

All we need is someone to be commissioner (Readingfanman, undathesea, fenway68, etc.) so to establish some rules and provide an address to send $50. Anyone who wants to can join. If it's too much / too little or if anyone has trust issues, then they can pass. Otherwise, when the commissioner gets the entry fees, they can invite the people to the league and we can have a draft.

Sounds like fun.

13. fenway68

fenway68 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    all excellent point, I will take these back to my league...things worked well for us this year, but we are a relatively new league, so we are looking to improve our system. thanks

well said, I will pass on commish..too much going on with one league I am running, but I will be in for the $50...lets get it set up

14. Criminole

Criminole Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would be interested in playing if you end up with a 12 team league. The more teams the better for the people that know their stuff. Too few teams means everyone is loaded and good players are on the bench.

15. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I may be interested depending upon the number of teams and rules.
    A 10 team league seems to be a good number, depending upon the roster size as it leaves people available to pickup.
    In a 12 team league if you start strong you pick last each week for free agents. Then if any starter gets hurts you will never recoup because by the time you get to pick in free agency there is no one left.

16. Readingfanman

Readingfanman Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Glad to see there's some initial interest. Whilst I'd love to be commissioner, I don't think I could be really as I'm in the UK, would make payment a hassle unless you all pay through paypal. I'd rather just take that hit myself one way than everyone else pay it to me.

If someone wants to take on the mantle, then please by all means do so, my knowledge of FF is pretty limited, I've only played 4/5 leagues in total over the past 3 years, so would rather others were in charge of it.

In terms of "bragging", it won't work on here, it needs to be cash realistically. If people want to try and suggest different payment options, by all means, go ahead and suggest some.

17. fenway68

fenway68 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I could be coaxed to reconsider, but would need some help and back up, I am traveling a few times during the season (once to LV) and wont necessarily be able to have access to my laptop...lets see if anyone else volunteers....

18. Readingfanman

Readingfanman Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't mind running the admin side of things, I just can't be dealing with the money due to the currency conversion.

19. hillwood24

hillwood24 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd be interested in the league. Sounds like a lot of fun.

20. hedgehog

hedgehog Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Meet in Vegas for the draft also

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.