1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

NFL Draft: How's Your Team Doing?

Discussion in 'The Sports Book' started by bardolator, May 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Its not just that its 22 again. Its picking a QB at 22 again when you passed on taking him at least once earlier in the draft.

While it always leads to glowing reviews after you get the guy who slides (and get a 'bargain', it always to me a bit of a warning sign. If the scouts really believed in him to any degree they'd have taken him at 4 or at 9. Even if you suspect you can get him later, if you think he's the franchise, you also think someone else will see it, and you jump.

So then this is using a late first round pick in a guy you don't really believe in.

I mean, if you let it slide into the 2nd or 3rd round and a guy is still there, that's fine. Its not the same pressure.

2. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As for my team (the niners), I was only ok the draft. I think there's potentially some good value, and I liked adding a pick for next year, but I had concerns.

I admit I had never heard of Jimmie Ward, and seeing a guy listed as a safety when we needed a corner was weird. But even though he was rated as a 2nd rounder, analysts seem to like it, and I gather he can play nickel, which was the main hole anyway.

Carlos Hyde was an amazing value and a very niners thing to do. But maybe too much a niners thing. They've already got Lattimore coming back after redshirting him, Hunter and James used to playing, and Dixon as the short-yardage guy special teamer and short yardage fullback. Adding another high pick waves goodbye to Dixon (which Im ok with), and one of the others unless someone gets hurt (or unless they cut ties with Gore a year early ... which would be shocking). Anyway, I think I'll like him as a player, and it keeps all our eggs out of the Lattimore basket. It just seems we use a lot of first few rounds picks on backs that we simply don't have enough carries for.

I like the Marcus Martin pick. Push Daniel Kilgore for the staring C job, and whoever loses can backup the 3 interior spots. We also use linemen as blocking TEs a lot.

Chris Borland we'll see. He will be behind 2 all pros except for a short window while Navarro recovers. So hopefully he becomes a good special teamer.

Brandon Thomas was the same thing they did with Lattimore a year ago. Get value for the pick by taking a guy who is high rated but will miss a season, which is doubly good as we have few roster spots open.

The late picks were all fine, and at least we got volume of corners. No idea why we didn't start with them earlier. I guess our scouts hated the high rated guys and thought there wasn't much difference.

3. feeltheheat

feeltheheat Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i dont have a team.

4. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If there was a franchise QB in the pool, I didn't see him. They are often hard to spot, which explains why numerous franchise guys go in the third round. I agree that the Browns should have waited. What seems to have happened is that the owner put heavy pressure on the GM to get Johnny Manziel, and he did the best he could to have a decent draft (which helps him keep his job) and also please his owner, who fires from the hip, to adapt a phrase.

Another problem is if Johnny Football doesn't go in the first round, he pouts. I mean, Goodyear just built a new, bigger blimp. It's a toy balloon compared to the egos involved here. Part of me wonders if they didn't get him as much for PR value as for football potential. Media coverage will rival or surpass that for Tim Tebow. Remind me: how'd that turn out?

5. POPO2012

POPO2012 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    :thumbsup: sweet come on is to Loserville and be a Browns fan with the rest of us . We can use ya !:drunk:

6. POPO2012

POPO2012 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    :beer:If you get the opportunity check out the video of Borland stopping Carlos Hype head to head. It's impressive. He is a run stopper.

7. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We've watched Borland for 4 years here as a Badger. The kid is non-stop, go, go, go.

Not that familiar with the niners starters, so can't weigh in on his chances, but special teams would work for his type of non-stop play.

8. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The Niners have possibly the best linebacking corp in the NFL... but, as we saw in The Superbowl, the position is prone to injury and I think Borland will be very welcomed and valued member of the squad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.