1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

NFL Adding A 17th Game

Discussion in 'The Sports Book' started by PaiGow, Mar 29, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaiGow

PaiGow Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've been reading about the NFL adding a 17th game for a few months now and a few articles I have read alluded to the possible scheduling. That said I just read the third story on how the formatting will go and it appears that for the NFC North it will be visiting the AFC West. This means the Chicago Bears will be coming to play in Las Vegas which is just awesome. I was bummed two years ago when the Bears were supposed to play the Raiders but then the stadium wouldn't be done by then and they were talking about having the game at UNLV but eventually moved the game abroad to England. This would be so cool to be able to come to town and see my Bears play in what's the first year that fans were allowed into games. Can't wait.

This is supposed to be the 17th game for all the teams for the 2021 season.

• Packers at Chiefs
    • Bears at Raiders
    • Vikings at Chargers
    • Lions at Broncos
    • Seahawks at Steelers
    • Rams at Ravens
    • Cardinals at Browns
    • 49ers at Bengals
    • Saints at Titans
    • Buccaneers at Colts
    • Panthers at Texans
    • Falcons at Jaguars
    • Washington at Bills
    • Giants at Dolphins
    • Cowboys at Patriots
    • Eagles at Jets

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  2. rebirth

rebirth High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm thinking the same for Bears at Raiders!

3. jamesxnj

jamesxnj VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Does not seem right if some of those teams could already have locked up playoff spots? GB/KC with the potential to rest starters? I don't think that will fly with the TV network..
    I do know the Packers play the Chiefs every year anyway in the preseason for quite awhile? Maybe these are Week One games?

4. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Amazing that they negotiated future television rights WITHOUT having secured the 17th game (wink wink) from the owner vote prior to finalizing the deal. Seems like a lot of well placed faith!!! :cool:

Final trip of 2021 —- ho-ho-ho
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. jimboguy

jimboguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    @PaiGow I would love to see the Bears play at Allegiant Stadium as well. What we'll have to wait and see is how many fans will be allowed to attend games at Allegiant in September.

I guess the official vote on adding the 17th game is coming tomorrow (3/30/2021).

• Like Like x 1
  6. PaiGow

PaiGow Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If this is correct and I have to believe it is as I've seen it several times as I said above it took a ton of magic to get there. Not only did they have to assign the NFC North the AFC West but assign the AFC West as home team for this go around and then the second part is that they are having the teams play each other in how they ranked in their division thus 1 VS. 1, 2 VS 2, etc.

Normally I'm a seat snob but I would be more than happy with nosebleeds because I'm not willing to drop a ton of coin on prime time seats and I know between the PSL holders and what could be potential Covid restrictions it's going to be a hard ticket to come by. I also really want to see the new stadium so I'm sure I'll be doing some walking around during part of the game.

We know they're going to vote yes on this so now here's to hoping this is correct.

• Like Like x 1
  7. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Totally unexpected as the Players have been pushing for shorter seasons for years.

8. archie1959

archie1959 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's now 17 games.

Players agreed to the additional game as part of their 2020 collective bargaining agreement, which gave the league an option to expand as soon as the 2021 season. The preseason will be reduced from four games to three to maintain compliance with the collective bargaining agreement, which limits the total number of preseason and regular-season games played to 20.

There will remain one bye week per team. The season will begin on Thursday night, Sept. 9 and will end on Sunday, Jan. 9, 2022. The Pro Bowl will be played on Sunday, Feb. 6, 2022 at Allegiant Stadium in Las Vegas and the Super Bowl LVI at SoFi Stadium in Los Angeles has been pushed back one week, from Feb. 6 to 13, 2022.

The formula for scheduling a season with an odd number of games will consist of two parts. First, AFC and NFC teams will alternate annually between eight and nine home games. The AFC will have nine in 2021. The extra game will be a cross-conference matchup based on the previous year's divisional standings and the division schedule rotation from two seasons prior.

The full 2021 schedule will be released later this spring.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Frenchy

Frenchy Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They are supposed to have the AFC get extra home game year 1. NFC year 2 and then working in an international schedule rotating after that time.

• Like Like x 1
  10. PaiGow

PaiGow Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good stuff. Now if they do have it start AFC West / NFC North it's Bears @ Raiders. Just watch it be the international game, lol, that would be my luck. (I seriously doubt that as it was an international game two years ago.) I would really look forward to this.

11. Gus

Gus High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    cause of this superbowl gets pushed back.. wait till superbowl falls on valentines day.

2021 birthday/new years bash
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. PaiGow

PaiGow Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Duh, I just looked on ESPN and yes the Bears will be playing the Raiders. YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

AWAY HOME
    Washington Bills
    Giants Dolphins
    Cowboys Patriots
    Eagles Jets
    Seahawks Steelers
    Rams Ravens
    Cardinals Browns
    49ers Bengals
    Saints Titans
    Buccaneers Colts
    Panthers Texans
    Falcons Jaguars
    Packers Chiefs
    Bears Raiders
    Vikings Chargers
    Lions Broncos

13. Gus

Gus High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    but as others have said.. the nfl had to move the schedules to stop teams from benching players the last 2 weeks.. whats gonna stop them from benching everyone for the 17th week?

2021 birthday/new years bash
  14. UKFanatic

UKFanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Playoff spots and positions

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Johnzimbo

Johnzimbo VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So the NFL had a soft 16, took a hit and drew an ace and stood on 17 :)

16. KnotGillty

KnotGillty High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A lot of NFL single season records will be broken, now that there is an additional game. Should there be an asterik?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. jimmmy4

jimmmy4 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Season ticket holders are all cheering. They say 1 of the preseason games will be cancelled. They charge the same for one of those pieces of crap as they do for the regular season games.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. PaiGow

PaiGow Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I really feel like some teams are going to sit players during the season. While I rather see a 17th game than a preseason game I know even with all the new rules to keep people "safer" going through an entire season without getting hurt is hard enough with 16 games.

I can't wait for them to announce the actual schedule now sometime between April 14th and 22nd. If I could choose my weekend I hope the Bears head to Vegas on Monday, November 1st. (Halloween as a bonus.) I want their game to be a Thursday, Sunday or Monday night game because otherwise you're going to sacrifice watching a ton of the early games as getting to this stadium is going to be challenging since they never did extend the monorail. It's going to be ugly for sure so I hope it's one of the night games.

19. UKFanatic

UKFanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When they last added regular season games, they didn't start adding asteriks to any new records. Don't see why they would start now

20. Michael Smith

Michael Smith VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wonder if rosters will be expanded?

NFL Wild Card Weekend!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.