1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

NCAA Conference Realignment

Discussion in 'The Sports Book' started by ken2v, Jul 21, 2021.

1. Legion

Legion MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    98% of the reason Rutgers and Maryland are in Big 10 is because of AAU. Big 10 doesn’t expand thinking about sports if school isn’t AAU they can’t join (Norte Dame would be exception) Nebraska should be kicked out of Big 10 they bring nothing once the lost AAU accreditation!

2. stackinchips

stackinchips VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    While being AAU schools may have qualified them, Maryland and more so Rutgers are in the Big 10 for one reason only and that is proximity to large TV markets.

3. Golfer

Golfer Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nebraska lost AAU accreditation largely because the medical school is in Omaha, and the large majority of the rest of the school is in Lincoln. Some other reasons not made public. And reasons as invalid as the location of the medical school.

Do not be fooled that the AAU doesn't play politics, and also doesn't frown on some of their own member institutions. The richest "position" they have is on peer review. They frown on AAU schools with Ag research, supposedly due to lack of peer review, but one needs to only look at the size of grants to figure out why they do what they do.

So the B1G doesn't split grant and research money, but they play the same elitist game the AAU plays. Certain member schools are worse than others. Minnesota was mentioned. They don't have much room to talk.

When I say elitist, there is some stuff out there now about a certain kind of medical research that supposedly had peer review. It's a joke. It's a term and process they use or don't use selectively, based on how quickly they can get paid.

My suggestion, do your own research you might find some of this revealing. Don't believe me, although part of what I get paid well for is dealing directly with many of the decisionmakers in this area, and reviewing their ill conceived ideas. There's more to it than this, but that should give you an idea from where I get some of my information.

To be clear, I am not anti education and anti research, but I am anti lying to the American people and students. It's a money making venture, as most non-profits are. My business with them is a pretty small part of what I do, and a pretty small part of my revenue, but they pay well. Probably too well. I enjoy the athletic directors, and for the most part University Presidents also. But when you get into the upper mid level of academia, it's frankly pretty disgusting.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Legion

Legion MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That’s not remotely true, to become a member of the big you MUST be AAU accredited.. We don’t care for TV or Market size? If we did why did…why add Nebraska?? For the cornfields?

#kicknebraskaout

https://www.google.com/amp/s/247sports.com/Article/Conference-realignment-Big-Ten-only-interested-in-adding-AAU-schools-Texas-Longhorns-Oklahoma-Sooners-SEC-168288689/Amp/

5. Legion

Legion MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Agree with post above follow the AAU money and one will see football tv money isn’t even close what Big 10 gets from AAU accreditation

6. david giusti

david giusti Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They really need to re balance the Big10 East and Big10 West

7. Golfer

Golfer Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Part of Maryland and Rutgers was cable subscribers forced to pay for the network reaching al the way to NYC. That's changing. And that's only part of Maryland and Rutgers. Research is a larger part as mentioned.

Notre Dame not being AAU is an interesting conversation. They are highly focused on undergraduates, which I think most people probably agree with. You can draw your own conclusions from this statement. Again, always do your own due diligence, and never believe anyone posting on a message board.

B1G West? Iowa isn't Ohio State, although we beat them the last time they played. Neither is Northwestern or Wisconsin. Nebraska wants to be, and they're getting back slowly. There are numerous T10 finishes in this group. Not as many as the East, and obviously not as many as the SEC. But each team in each division plays three non division games a season.

My point outside of the B1G West isn't as bad as many think it is, is that I'm a fan. I travel to every away game, and enjoy these regional rivalries. We have an Oregon fan that posts from time to time. They probably get it, and look forward to Oregon playing Oregon State. The B1G isn't going to change this, and in my view, shouldn't change this. Those of us that have to donate between $7,500 and $25,000 in order to be able to purchase tickets that are decent still make up a significant part of the football program's revenue. Ticket sales still matter. Not as much as they used to, but they do matter.

8. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It looks like Conference USA is on its last legs as the Sun Belt is going after Marshall and Southern Miss.
    https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/college-football/sun-belt-reportedly-expected-to-add-2-conference-usa-teams/

There is also rumblings that Old Dominion from CUSA and James Madison from the FCS level may go to the Sun Belt as well.
    https://www.deseret.com/platform/amp/2021/10/20/22737447/yet-another-conference-is-reportedly-looking-into-expansion-sun-belt-marshall-southern-miss-liberty

9. SH0CK

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Conference USA is really swinging for the fences now...
    Going down to the FCS level and chasing after defending FCS champions Sam Houston State along with fellow WAC (who even knew the WAC had football anymore?) member Tarleton State. To round out their western replenishment, they are talking to perennial independent cellar dweller New Mexico State. :blink:
    https://www.deseret.com/2021/10/22/22738509/conference-realignment-conference-usa-reportedly-in-discussions-add-multiple-teams-nmsu-sam-houston
    As an aside, it's kind of interesting reading the speculation that ESPN is helping to pull a lot of these strings and they are gutting CUSA which has a contact with CBS to air there games where as the Sunbelt has a contract with ESPN.

10. SH0CK

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The raid on Conference USA continues.

Rumblings of Western Kentucky and Middle Tennessee to the MAC Conference by the end of the week.
    https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/college-football/mac-likely-to-add-2-conference-usa-schools-to-expand-to-14-teams-per-report/

In what appears to be a move to try to change those 2 schools minds to stay put, Conference USA is looking to add FBS independant Liberty and New Mexico State and also Jacksonville State and Sam Houston State from the FCS level.
    https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/college-football/conference-realignment-conference-usa-reportedly-set-to-add-2-fbs-independents-2-fcs-programs-as-all-sports-members/

If the above 2 schools leave and the 4 others join, that would leave CUSA at 7 members and I would expect them to go looking for at least 1 more to get them to an even number.

11. zoobrew

zoobrew VIP Whale

I always thought of the MAC as a nice tight geographical conference that played good sports without them dominating the member schools. AKA what college sports was 50 years agp.

12. bdautch

bdautch VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I will still wear this until Rutgers becomes bowl eligible. It results in 80% positive feedback.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. SH0CK

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And there was much rejoicing in New Mexico as NMSU finally finds a home.
    https://www.si.com/college/2021/11/05/conference-usa-adds-liberty-new-mexico-state-jacksonville-state-sam-houston
    This will bring CUSA to 9 schools until the MAC makes a decision on Western Kentucky and Middle Tennessee State.
    https://www.wxyz.com/sports/ap-sources-mac-could-add-western-kentucky-middle-tennessee

14. SH0CK

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not sure who is trying to save face by denying the other, but the MAC says they don't want to expand and WKU and MTSU say they are staying put in Conference USA.
    https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/32600959/mid-american-conference-remain-12-teams-pursue-expansion
    https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/32598735/middle-tennessee-remain-c-usa-considering-joining-mac