1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

NBA to start season in December

Discussion in 'The Sports Book' started by rooster42000, Nov 5, 2020.

1. UKFanatic

UKFanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's just plain wrong. I agree, he was spent in his final season (and the final game was nothing to do with willpower; he took a ton of shots to get those totals). But the 2014-15 season (the first true season back from the injury), the Lakers team was trash and that dragged down his efficiency. But he still had a PER over 17 (and over the league average) and a VORP that placed him in he top third of the league. If your definition of strong means came back the same or better than before, then I don't think anyone has done that. They were all lesser players after that injury. But in 2014, Bryant still played well, remained the best player on his team (by far) despite the injury, and was still the focu of the defense against every tea they played.

We can disagree about the definition of strong, but to say he was "completely ineffective" isn't credible and not really up fo debate. I would argue that the decline of Bryant's play (and of the Lakers generally) had more to do with horrible coaching than an injury. It was a joke how often the coach had Bryant post up twenty feet from the basket with less than 8 seconds on the shot clock. I've never seen so many contested twenty footers from one player in a season. Throw in the fact that this season was the culmination of the Warrioers shifting the style of the game to emphasize the three pointer, then seeing the Lakers trot out an archaic offensive set game after game was just absurd to watch

2. shokhead

shokhead No big spender unless eating drinking having fun!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The Los Angeles Lakers are waiving guard Quinn Cook.
    Saves them 2 million.

3. JaDubya

JaDubya High Roller? Nah...just a Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Dominique Wilkins ruptured his Achilles 1991-92 season. 1992-1993 won comeback player of the year averaging 29.9 points per game (2nd to Jordan in scoring that year).

Breanna Stewart ruptured her Achilles in 2019. Won 2020 WNBA championship & Finals MVP averaging 28.3 points & 7.7 rebounds for the series.

Kobe in 2014-2015 (your quote) - he only played 35 games. He shot 37.3% that season versus 44.7% lifetime. When I say come back strong, I mean come back strong. Yes his team was garbage but the Lakers signed him to a fat cap absorbing contract so he could finish out 20 years as a Laker. No one wanted to play in LA at that time. BTW I love Kobe & have held Laker season tickets for 19 years but his final years were hard to watch. My point is players tend to overcompensate when coming back from a severe injury so it’s a downward spiral.

4. shokhead

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One can always find outliers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. JaDubya

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Strange comment. The ball still needs to go in the basket. Sure he took 50 shots but shot 44%, which is solid. If you score more points than shot attempts (which he did), that’s usually considered efficient shooting.

So I maintain that it was sheer willpower. I’ve seen the effort it takes for my kids to score 20+ points in a game. Scoring more than your average takes effort especially on a win & while shooting efficiently.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
  6. shokhead

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Golden State tax bill is currently $66M The addition of Kelly Oubre would see it increase to $134M $14.4M of Oubre + $68M in taxes= $82.4M

• Wow! Wow! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. UKFanatic

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I started typing a long response, but then decided what's the point. We have different definitions of what constitutes a "strong" comeback so there's not much point in the debate if we are applying different standards. :thumbsup:
    Again, we will disagree on what constitutes "efficient" scoring. His true shooting percent in that game was 54%, which is better than average but far from exceptional (60% is usually that standard). He said in the interview after the game that his teammates kept feeding him the ball and telling him to shoot. That's not willpower. That's taking more than a shot a minute!!! The team wanted him to go out a high note (he did)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Headache 21

Headache 21 High-Roller

Crushed for Klay.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Michael Smith

Michael Smith High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    He'll fight back. I predict a Golden season in 2021-22 when the Warriors with Klay, Steph, Draymond, Paschall and Wiseman give a 37-year old LeBron James a run for his money in the West. Patience is a virtue, and I hope Steve Kerr and management have it in abundance.

• Like Like x 1
  10. rooster42000

rooster42000 Brady, The Goat

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Woj bomb: Dwight Howard signs with Philly.

11. Headache 21

Headache 21 High-Roller

lol that's terrible

12. Michael Smith

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow. Maybe Doc is thinking of packing it in defensively with Embiid, Howard and Simmons, with Danny Green guarding the opponent's best guard. I just wonder where the scoring comes from with such a lineup.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. rooster42000

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Woj Bomb : Lakers sign Montrezl Harrell , 6 man of the year , Clippers better get moving.

• Wow! Wow! x 1
  14. UKFanatic

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I doubt he will play howard and Embiid at the same time. Still, I like the signing. Howard finally seemed to accept his role this past season with the lakers and was very good at being a rebounder/shot blcoker/instigator. He can do that well for fifteen minutes a game

• Like Like x 1
  15. Headache 21

Headache 21 High-Roller

Yea but he had LeBron to keep him in check. Philly is void of leadership.

• Like Like x 1
  16. rooster42000

Trips to Las Vegas:
  17. shokhead

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Dennis Schroder, Wes Matthews and now Montrezl Harrell ... Not too bad for the Lakers
    Schroder and Harrell are on the younger side which is good for the Lakers.

• Like Like x 2
  18. rooster42000

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Harrell is one of agent Rich Paul's boy , Got to keep the King happy.:woohoo:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Michael Smith

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Harrell is high energy and definitely an upgrade from Howard.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. JaDubya

Trips to Las Vegas: