1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

NBA regular season win totals

Discussion in 'The Sports Book' started by LVRaiders, Nov 25, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rooster42000

rooster42000 Goat of all Goats , My Hero

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The Warriors clinched the eighth seed in the Western Conference with the win, setting them up for a Wednesday road game against either the Los Angeles Lakers or Portland Trail Blazers, pending Sunday night's results.
    Mr . Lillard will decide tonight.

2. zoobrew

zoobrew VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am also rooting for one more game, but as a Detroit fan I am rooting for a loss so that they clinch the 2nd worst record and then have their terrible lottery luck to give them the 6th pick.

• Wow! Wow! x 1
  3. KnowItAll

KnowItAll VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

27-10 finish I believe was best in the east

they did get a poor draw but let’s see what this young team can do with its 1st playoff run

4. oldaquaman

oldaquaman Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    '
    Blazers win on final night to go over 41.5; finished 5-1 on o/u bets plus Sixers won atlantic div.
    misread the Bucks who I thought were by far best in east back in dec. and philly was 9/1 (on Dec. 8 anyway) to win eastern conference.
    hayes got hurt early and was never in run for RofY
    a good year for the unders, though the downside was watching/following way too many Pistons and Thunders games over the last few weeks. LOL

Last edited: May 17, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  5. Travel Fanatic

Travel Fanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, I finished th season 3 and 5 with a 31% loss (ouch). A few of those losses are easily explained and weren't necesarrily foreseeable (Lakers injuries, Bulls upgraded at the trade deadline, and Raptors homecourt, covid, and giving up on the season at the trade deadline). A couple, however, really sting because my analysis was correct, but a couple players vastly exceeded expectations. The Hawks soared, in large part, because Capella returned to his form of a couple years ago. He was trash last season because of a foot injury and guys his size don't usually bounce back fully from that type of injury. But he did. And when he played, he helped turn the Hawks into a bad defense, which was actually a substantial upgrade from the league worst defense they play whenever he was not in there. I didn't expect much from this season and was way off. The other that really hurts is the Warriors. They only reached the over because Curry played at his old MVP level. I think everyone expected him to play, but not as well as the Curry of 2017. They were trash when he didn't play (that weird loss to the Hornets mid-season is the only game I can remember when Curry didn't play and they should have won but didn't). But when he played, he was dominant for most of the season. Their team defense was also significantly better than anyone could have expected at the start of the year, but even with that, there is no way they win that many games without Curry being an offensive threat literally as soon as he crossed half court on every possession. He was just remarkable this season

The plans have changed
    Post-Shopping Recovery Period
  6. Michael Smith

Michael Smith VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep, Andrew Wiggins bought in as well as their bench guys (Toscano-Anderson, Poole, Mulder) to what Kerr and Draymond were preaching—it helped that the rookie got injured and Looney (a very good defensive player) got a lot of minutes.

But, YES, what an incredible year for Steph (I wonder if Durant looks at it and thinks, damn, we could have won a championship if I had stayed—I am strictly rooting against Brooklyn this year). Curry ties Jordan for scoring title after age 33, once again part of the 50, 40, 90 group (FG, 3, FT%) and double digit games with more than 40 points. And, he's easy to root for. Good kid, doing the right things with his wealth and reputation. I was a naysayer when they got him because his ankles were bad. He strengthened them with workouts—his workouts are insane—and is widely considered the greatest shooter in the history of a game that has seen a lot of great shooters. As much as I loved Rick Barry (dating myself), I love Steph twice as much.

Final Four/Santa Anita Derby
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Travel Fanatic

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They did not have a lot of guys in the rotation that were string defensively in their career (Curry, Wiggins, Oubre), but wow they got it done this year. They are a team with huge, glaring flaws, but Curry's brilliance covered enough of them up. I hope they make it in so we can get a few more games from Curry before their eventual first round elimination.

And Barry was before my time. But from everything I have read about him, I think any fan (and certainly every teammate) would prefer Curry

The plans have changed
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Michael Smith

Michael Smith VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sure, Rick was a bit prickly, but if you ever saw him play in person, as I did a few times, you would understand he was NBA elite, and, in my opinion, only second to Steph as a long range shooter—unfortunately no 3-point line when he was in his heyday. He would pull up at the top of the key, and if there wasn't a man underneath for a quick pass for a layup, he would drain the shot. Great ball-handler/passer and certainly a better defender than Steph. He was a prototype, 6-7, could bring the ball up, pass, shoot, take a guy off the dribble. I believe he would fit right in today, whereas many of the guys he played against, Unseld, Havlicek, Hawkins, etc. would have a tough time today.

But, sure, I love Steph. I never thought the Warriors would be relevant again until he came.

9. JaDubya

JaDubya High Roller? Nah...just a Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Harsh! No love for the granny shot? I guess that doesn’t sell shoes, huh?
    upload_2021-5-18_19-5-14.gif

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Michael Smith

Michael Smith VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    89% from the charity stripe and I have no doubt he would be over 40% consistently from 3 if he had played under those rules.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Travel Fanatic

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not questioning him as a player. I have watched some of his games and hilight reels. I would question your opinion on Hondo and Hawkins

The plans have changed
  12. oldaquaman

oldaquaman Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That would apply to just about every future bet I ever missed on, no matter what the sport. LOL :lock:

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Travel Fanatic

Trips to Las Vegas:
    lol, I wih that were the case for me. Sometimes I look back and realize I missed something obvious. Oh well

The plans have changed
  14. Michael Smith

Michael Smith VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ok, maybe a bit harsh on Havlicek. He might be a decent role player, like Alex Caruso, but not a star. As for Hawkins, physically he fits the bill, but, I mean, when was the last time someone shot a finger roll in an NBA game? It would get swatted like a lethargic fly.

Oh, and by the way, just looked at your timers. Have a great time. Any thoughts on playoff bets?

15. Travel Fanatic

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not to go too far down an old NBA rabbit hole, but are you sure you're thinking about Connie Hawkins? He was an athletic freak with giant hands. He was the proto Jordan! Just look at a few of his hilights:

As for comparing Hondo to Alex Caruso .... I'm just going to assume you're trolling Boston fans (a worthy endeavor)

The plans have changed
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. rooster42000

rooster42000 Goat of all Goats , My Hero

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hondo , remember the play, :thumbsup: The Boston Garden went into a frenzy.

• Like Like x 1
  17. pressitagain

pressitagain VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    RB was the ‘Gold standard’ of shooting for a long time. SC is the ‘Bitcoin standard’ of today. These types of debates can get messy. Either way, both will be remembered as great players.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Michael Smith

Michael Smith VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As I remember, Hawkins dominated in the ABA, but not so much when he got to the NBA, at least not like Barry and Erving. In fact, his skills declined once he got to the NBA. Never on a championship team. Like I said, definitely a great athlete but he would be just another big in today's game. We'll have to agree to disagree.

I do, however, trust your opinion and am interested in what you're looking at betting for the playoffs. At slightly more than 2-1 to win it all I hate the Nets. And 4-1 on the Lakers is really no value unless I see a few games out of LBJ and SD. I'm thinking of throwing a small amount toward Philly, 7-1, Milwaukee, 7-1 and Phoenix, 16-1. This feels like a year that anything could happen.

19. Travel Fanatic

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree, not as good as those ABA transplants in the NBA. But I am also thinking about his ABA and playground career (he was named to the all time ABA first team; got screwed out of his prime years by the NBA; and was a dominant Rucker league player back when the best players were there every summer). When he arrived in the NBA, he had a bad knee, yet still made the all star team his first four years and an All NBA team. And that was all after his prime years. Saying he wasn't as good as Dr. J is very different than arguing he would just be another guy in today's NBA. I'm not sure I have heard that opinion ever. Hawk, David Thompson, and Dr. J were all sixties/seventies players that were the forerunners of the Jordan/Dominique high flyers of the eighties

The plans have changed
    • Agree Agree x 2
  20. pressitagain

pressitagain VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I will also add two intangibles that you can’t teach. Athleticism and Creativity.

• Agree Agree x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.