1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

NBA regular season win totals

Discussion in 'The Sports Book' started by LVRaiders, Nov 25, 2020.

1. UKFanatic

UKFanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Meh. I wouldn't start declaring the season over yet. People said the same thing when the Warriors signed Cousins and that didn't work out. As for this signing, I just don't think its a big deal for the Nets. Aldridge is a slight offensive upgrade over Jordan, but also a slight downgrade on defense. He is not the player he was just two years ago. I do think it helps them, but just not much. He does nothing for them when they need or want to go small (which will be needed against all the other Eastern contenders other than Philly). He gives them more minutes and fouls to throw out there when they want play big. But let's be realistic. The Nets season comes down to Durant's health and Irving's head. If they don't have a healthy and effective Durant, they aren't getting out of the East. And he hasn't played in nearly two months!!! That's a hell of a long time for an injury the team has refused to call anything other than a hamstring strain

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. JaDubya

JaDubya High Roller? Nah...just a Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    @UKFanatic - we’ll see. I like the signing because it added front court depth while it took away a piece that a team like the Heat may have needed. I think they might have enough with the addition of Aldridge & Griffin.

I could be wrong but the east looks a 3 team race to me between the Nets, 76ers & Bucks. Not sold on 76ers yet & until the Bucks show me otherwise, I expect them to fold somewhere in the eastern conference playoffs & miss the NBA finals. Other eastern teams are missing a little or missing a lot. With the 9 & 10 seeds this year I expect at least 3 sub 500 teams to make the eastern conference playoffs which is pathetic.

In the west the Nuggets added some nice pieces but is it enough for a championship. Dunno. Guessing no. Jazz are playing really well - I’m expecting them to go deep. Clippers are inconsistent, will Rondo make a difference. Dunno. Guessing no. Lakers are hobbled & barring a timely & full recovery of AD & LeBron they won’t do well this year.

So after all that verbose babble - the Nets are the only team that wows me. If Kyrie goes AWOL again, then you’ll be right but I like the Nets’ chances significantly more than anyone else.

• Like Like x 2
  3. UKFanatic

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't disagree. My point was more that Aldridge doesn't help the Nets all that much, especially against the Bucks. I also don't think it matters much that they kept him from the Heat. He would fill a bigger need for the Heat, but the Nets would run an Aldridge Heat team off the court by playing Durant or Griffin at the five. I tend to think about it like this: come playoff time, barring injuries to a starter, there are only about seventy minutes on the Court to split between Griffin, Green, Shamet, Brown (or maybe Cabbarot) and Aldridge. Even assuming they go only 8 deep in the playoffs, that means he is only getting four or five minutes a quarter (probably less). So what do you get in those five minutes? Well, better offense than Jordan, but the Nets don't need help on that end. None of their big three have ever played a style where they throw the ball to the low post and let a big man go one on one 9which is what Aldridge has done his whole career). He's also not a good defender at this point in his career. He's a good enough shooter where defenses will have to respect him and not sag off as much as they do against Jordan. So there is value in that. But I don't see that value as being some kind of key piece that makes the Nets unbeatable

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. rooster42000

rooster42000 Brady, The Goat , repeat LVI- #8

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. rooster42000

rooster42000 Brady, The Goat , repeat LVI- #8

Trips to Las Vegas:
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. UKFanatic

Trips to Las Vegas:
    With the Hornets win tonight, I win my first wager of the season. Ende dup being an easy over (much easier than I anticipated). Still feeling guardedly optimistic that I will come out ahead at the end of the season, but always nice to know I won't go winless

• Like Like x 3
  7. KnowItAll

KnowItAll VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well they went 8-5 during the 13 game stretch and now sit at 27-25,4th in the East but only 2 games ahead of 8th so each game is shuffle, now they just have to go 8-12 to hit the over which seems unlikely based on recent stretch of 13-5. Of course they are living and dying by injuries and shooting hot (11-11 3's in Q3 the other night) or cold like last night shooting 44% from the field. One thing for sure will be new is they kinda control their own playoff destiny the last 6 weeks of the season which has not been the case in recent history for this franchise. We will see how they handle that.

Lake Tahoe
  8. UKFanatic

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I disagree. I think they should reach the over with a game or two to spare. They've been one of the most inconsistent teams this season, but you are overlooking the key to your Hawks: Clint Capella. Granted, he's dealing with a nagging injury, but seems to be able to play through it most nights. He has been their best player this year (including better than Young). They are still a bottom eight defense this year, but that's still a big leap up from the absolute worst defense in the league that they played last year. And the biggest difference (which I did not fully appreciate when I wagered the under) was that Capella would be this effective. He is playing efficient on offense and is playing the best rim protection of his career since his breakout season in Houston. And the cherry on top is the trade for Williams. They didn't really need any more scoring, but since they weren't getting anything out of Rondo, it certainly helps to have another shooter coming off the bench instead.

Now where they end up in playoff position, who knows. The teams are bunched so closely together. Like everyone in the East, they need that fourth seed to avoid a matchup against any of the three dominant teams in that conference. But right now, if they stay healthy, I see them ending up at 38 or 39 wins.