1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

NBA bets

Discussion in 'The Sports Book' started by nameBRAND, Jan 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nameBRAND

nameBRAND Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I want to try placing some bets on NBA games. I have never played the sports book but would like to try my hand in a couple games. I see theres a section for MLB & Football but not NBA. Any tips for a newbie?

2. IvanBeausky

IvanBeausky Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Never bet a road favorite. Aside from that, take the OVER!!:beer:

3. nameBRAND

nameBRAND Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So is over/under bets the best route to go? I guess that makes sense because its based on scores. So if it says o -125 and u-+110; it means bet 125 to win $100 for over and bet $100 to win $110 in the under? Or am I understanding this wrong.

4. Travel Fanatic

Travel Fanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That is correct.

However, betting pro basketball is not as easy as just betting the over and home dogs. NBA bets is the one sport that I have made a profit on every year, and some of those years the profit was miniscule (less than 1%). And I am an NBA fanatic that keeps up with it season to season way too much. Like baseball, its a game that having a good understanding of the relevant stats is a huge help in making smart wagers. Also understanding the ebb and flow of an NBA season can work to your advantage (understanding which players perform well on back to back nights, rivalry games, length of road trips, bench performances on the road versus at home, etc.).

I think NFL football is much harder to handicap when it comes to pro sports because the statistical sample is so small each season. The stats are your friend in basketball. But if it is your first time betting it, just make a few small wagers for fun and enjoy. I think you have the hang of how the lines work

I Need Spa
  5. nameBRAND

nameBRAND Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the responses. I'll probably do a couple $100 bets while I'm at the Aria and we'll see where it goes from there. :beer:

6. arrgy

arrgy Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Unless your betting on Indiana. The Pacers defense seems to always go under. Haven't lost in 10 games with them going under.

7. IvanBeausky

IvanBeausky Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm a huge fan of the Pacers. and Colts. And Hoosiers. That is why I almost never bet on them. The heart gets in the way of the head. Lots of other teams out there to wager on though!

GO PRIDE!:peace:

8. Travel Fanatic

Travel Fanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Always a good plan to avoid the teams you can't evaluate objectively. That being said, I really love the Pacers tomorrow night against NY. Depending on the line, I may wager it. I like Indy by 9

I Need Spa
  9. nameBRAND

nameBRAND Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ok. I thought I understood the spread till I read vegas insiders odds page.

http://www.vegasinsider.com/nba/odds/las-vegas/

Why is there two negatives on the first line of the odds read out? And whats the -10 mean? It's in both lines of the odds for just about every game.

10. nameBRAND

nameBRAND Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nevermind. I think I got it. -4 - 10 means they are favored by 4 and you must bet $110 to win $100? Which means If I bet on Brooklyn Nets tonight I would have won.

11. RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa Front Line Winner

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Correct. Anytime you see the "-" in front of a number that is the amount of points that team must win by for the bettor to win.

The extra $10 is the vig or juice you're paying to lay the points with the favorite. Sometimes that will be -120 or more. Books will raise the vig to even up the money without changing the actual spread.

12. nameBRAND

nameBRAND Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Awesome, thanks. Couple more weeks and I can put what I learned into action.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.