1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

My thoughts on Allegiant

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by ken2v, Feb 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tommy22

tommy22 Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I live in Paso Robles and have the same dilemma every time I want to go to Vegas. I can drive to san jose(2&a half hours) and get a reasonable priced direct flight ($310. for two) or drive 6 and a half hours. Ive looked into allegiant and frontier flights, but if you have luggage, it ends up the same or more than Southwest and their schedules suck. At least hiway 46 is vastly improved these days. I am going back in early July and thought maybe I could meet someone om this sight to drive with me and my girlfriend. My aging eyes can't handle the strain of driving that long, and my girlfriend's driving scares me. If anyone might be interested let me know.

2. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We were in Paso on Saturday! Lovely day. Lovely town.

3. JennAndRob

JennAndRob Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have flown Allegiant 8 times in the last three years..... i hate to jinx myself- but never once had a delayed flight- service was always great(flight attendants) friendly people and planes are old but clean. now, as long as you know all of the "added costs" it shouldn't be an issue for you - I can add a bag and do a round trip from Shreveport to Vegas and pay around $240 for all.. still the cheapest flight and direct flight for me.. we have delta, united and american, and they all run around $500 and up for a round trip! the only downfall for me is the passengers that fly out of shreveport! lol...... since its cheap and a quick weekend- fri-mon... its either a bunch of people turning 21 and celebrating or really older people that are cranky.. seems like everytime I have flown there is always some sort of confrontation on the plane and I always worry they will divert our flight to land and arrest someone!:haha::haha:

• Wow! Wow! x 1
  4. vegaskid74

vegaskid74 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So I was searching the internet to see if I could find out what the odds are that my Allegiant flight to Vegas from Cinci will be delayed in a couple weeks and I stumbled upon this pretty cool website:

https://www.flightstats.com/v2/flight-ontime-performance-rating/G4/1308/CVG

Digging into the numbers, it looks like (and this matches my past experience with Allegiant) there is a high likelihood that my flight will be delayed, but also a high likelihood that the delay will be relatively minor (average of 28 minutes with standard deviation of 28.2 minutes). The longest delay on this flight between January 1, 2018 and February 28, 2018 was 110 minutes, which is closer to what I have experienced on all of my past flights. Hopefully this time I'll get closer to the 28 minute average delay. What I can't quite figure out is how 8 of the 17 observed flights were considered "on time", while 13 of the 17 flights were delayed by at least 1 minute. I guess if the delay is under a certain threshold (15 minutes maybe?) it is still considered on time.

5. Rush

Rush MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:

I never trust these numbers. Once a plane pushes back from the jetway, it is considered "departed". You might sit two feet from the jetway for an hour, but you departed "on time".

6. runningonthehub

runningonthehub High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have never flown Allegiant and never would consider them. I have too many options out of Chicago. I would not even fly for free on Allegiant, they would have to be the absolute last resort.

• Wow! Wow! x 1
  7. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm not too keen on Allegiant as I've said countless times. When Frontier starts their direct OMA-LAS service (Real Soon but not sure exactly when) we will then have three airlines doing nonstop to LAS and I'm counting on this putting downward pressure on the Southwest fares. Southwest is, however, the only one with multiple nonstops to LAS every day with tons of possible connections in case something gets screwed up, so in my not so humble opinion they are the best bet if the price was in the same general range.

8. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The primary plank of Allegiant's plan is exactly that, serving limited or otherwise non-served markets.

• Wow! Wow! x 1
  9. topcard

topcard Vegas Has Re-Opened!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    ...take a look at Frontier the next time you're booking to Vegas... they have a daily, afternoon non-stop AUS to LAS... way cheaper than SW, even with all of the add-on fees.

I like SW (out of DAL), but in markets where they have no competition for non-stop flights? They do tend to gouge their customers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This. Someone who understands options, and what they all ask and deliver. It is easy to say, "I would never" when you live within spitting distance of a hub or three with multiple carrier options. We'd certainly not exchange our central coast lifestyle to be back in the rat race of So Cal or the Bay Area simply to make one particular flight option "easier." IF we want to fly to Vegas, we balance it out: Drive to the Bay Area, LA or BUR with multiple options, deal with Allegiant's very real limitations from an uber-convenient airport 20 minutes away or go to so SLO or Santa Barbara and deal with connections. Or drive. For us, the $$$ cost isn't de facto more important than the time and value cost.

11. vegaskid74

vegaskid74 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Actually, on this website they determine whether the flight was delayed or not based on when it reaches the arrival gate, not when it pushed back from the departure gate, so the numbers should be reliable. Take a look at the details on the CVG to LAS flight that took off Monday 3/5, which is the same flight I'll be taking in two weeks:

https://www.flightstats.com/v2/flight-tracker/G4/1308/2018/3/5/951542429

https://www.flightstats.com/v2/flight-details/G4/1308/2018/3/5/951542429

As you can see, the plane actually pushed back four minutes early, was one minute late to the departure runway, touched down in Vegas 23 minutes late, and hit the arrival gate 15 minutes late. According to them, the flight was 15 minutes delayed, which I think is the most meaningful and logical way to present and interpret the data.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. azlefty

azlefty VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am willing to accept extra fees for sodas and overhead space or the prospect of a middle seat next to the lavatory as long as I am aware of the risks ahead of time and the flight is generally safe and I am saving money (or time) in the process. I can endure some discomfort as long as I know it will be over in the next hour or two.

I have an entirely different problem with flying Allegiant, and that is their scheduling. You may notice when booking that some of their flights are only a few days a week. That's because a plane will fly, say, from Palm Springs to Stockton to Hawaii to Seattle to Minneapolis to Orlando to Kansas City before it comes back to Palm Springs, a 2- or 3-day cycle. So if you are booked form Palm Springs to Stockton, as I once was, there are no other aircraft nearby that can rescue you if the plane goes out of service and needs repair. And these 30 year old MD 80s often are. Our one hour flight was delayed by over 7 hours. We would have saved time by driving.

13. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    1. You want us to meet you where?

2. Does our preferred airline go there and from which airport?

3. Does any airline go there from our preferred airport?

4. OK, fine, WTF flies there from somewhere?

5. Screw it, can we drive there?

6. And how long will that take?

7. That long? No freakin' way.

8. Let's start at #4 again.

9. Nope, not happenin', we're out; we can get to Hawaii with less hassle.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. vegaskid74

vegaskid74 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Here's another cool website regarding on-time arrival statistics:

https://www.flightstats.com/v2/monthly-performance-reports/airlines

This shows that at least for the month of January 2018, Allegiant ranked 17th out of 42 low-cost carriers in on-time arrival performance, just 3 slots behind Southwest Airlines. It appears my experience of being delayed with Allegiant so many times out of CVG is either route specific or just bad luck. Also of note, the top two discount carriers for on-time performance were Iberia Express and Vueling, so apparently the Spanish know something about getting planes to their destinations on time. Of the major carriers, Alitalia was the best and Air India was the worst, with Air "FU" Canada second to last. That should make Flusher smile.

15. azlefty

azlefty VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    11. How about you come here for a change.

16. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That happens a lot. We love to have guests and made sure when we moved up here to get a place that had the needed attributes to would work well as party central.

17. FullBoat

FullBoat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just did a quick compare for my March trip. Frontier is about $60 more than Allegant, but I check my bag instead of carry-on. I do like their departing time more, but they leave a lot earlier from Vegas. So, it's 50/50. :) But, I'll look for my next trip to see if their times have changed.

18. topcard

topcard Vegas Has Re-Opened!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    @FullBoat - Split airlines... Frontier going out & SW or Allegiant coming back:
    5/15/18 - Frontier, non-stop AUS to LAS, Fl# 1139, L- 9:23PM, A- 10:20PM. $45
    5/18/18 - Allegiant, non-stop LAS to AUS, Fl#452 L- 3:15PM, A- 7:53PM. $54

$99 round trip, plus whatever fees you decide to incur....obviously, SW for the return will be higher, but no bag fees!

PS - for a March 27th departure & March 30th return, (same airlines), you're looking at $98 round trip, and the earlier Frontier flight out of Austin (#1141, L-2:21PM, A- 3:25PM, $44)

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  19. gs32794

gs32794 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just flew them a 2nd time home to Va. They are cheaper and the only non-stop. The Thurs to Sun works well for me. The new-for-them planes (A32x) are an improvement. On board staff was as nice and proficient as others. (Read that as you will...) Potential delays are not a big deal since it's a trip home with no set agenda. I never check baggage no matter where I go; therefore, the fees don't stack up. They don't fly to LAS from Clearwater- St. Pete. If they did I'd give it a go if the schedule worked. Frontier flies non-stop from TPA, might would risk them going out as it's a day flight. Coming back is red eye, so no way.
    Why not go out on one and back on the other? I do that alot when not using miles. Balance out price and schedule. Next week going to DC on SWA (schedule) coming back on Spirit (price).

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  20. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

I wonder if one's personal satisfaction with Allegiant has more to do with the originating airport you're flying out of and the crew on board.
    The vast majority of us near Rockford, IL appreciate their airport. It it a better alternative to Chicago. Additionally, the Allegiant employees on the Rockford flights seem to do good work.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.