1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

My thoughts on Allegiant

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by ken2v, Feb 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FullBoat

FullBoat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've been using Allegiant for the past 4 or so years. So, this is just my experience with them. I've never had an issue with them. I've been delayed twice so far. Once for bad weather back in Austin, and another because a passenger was really sick. So, can't blame them there.
    Out of Austin, there's not many options for a direct flight. SW is the the other one. Even with the extra baggage fee, they're less than half what SW is.

At one point I thought they were phasing out their MD-80's for 747-200's. But, looks like they're ramping up the 80's again. Down side is they are louder, but I have an OK set of headphones. So, I just put on a movie, and sleep about 80% of the trip. By the time we board I've normally been up for about 20+ hours. And, I normally get a drink at the airport, so I don't buy one on the plan. They don't care if you bring on a drink as long as it has a lid/cap.

And, you can't really blame them for keeping people out of the seats that they charge extra for. That's money out of their pocket. But, you can pay for it if they're empty. I've seen people do that before.

I've seen the lines in Vegas both ways. Where you can just walk an through with no problem, and where it's a huge line. My last trip a TSA agent told me something that made me happy, and mad. Since I use a cane, he told me I can go through the VIP/handicap line, and bypass all of the winding lines. Wish someone would have told me that a while back.

And, they just moved to a new terminal here in Austin. So, the line for TSA screening was really short. I used to have to wait about 30+ min to get through. Down side is it's what they're calling "retro". So, they have a ramp going up to the plane, and no gangway.

2. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Uh, 747s for Allegiant????? Do you mean maybe 737?

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. FullBoat

FullBoat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Doh.. you are correct. Brain is fried up at work. I keep looking at the countdown timer, and wondering why it's not going down quicker.

4. vegaskid74

vegaskid74 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My only beef with them is that EVERY time I've flown Allegiant (admittedly only 4-6 flights), the flight has been late, at least one hour, but a couple times 2-3 hours. The experiences of the rest of you lead me to believe I've just been unlucky though. I'm trying them again next month (I know, glutton for punishment, but $100 RT from Cinci is hard to pass up, delays or no), so we'll see.

5. spicole

spicole No shirt, no shoes... NO DICE!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One or two late flights may be unlucky. Going 0-6 with major delays every time is systematic.

6. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If delays is a standard for judgment then I'd never fly several of the heritage airlines ever again. And some routes simply lend themselves to more delays than others, regardless carrier. Safety? Anyone with some type of insight into ANY industry could warn people to stay away.

Y'all read about that gnarly mid-day smashup on the 10 the other day? Five dead. I think that's five more folks than every major American carrier combined has dispatched in the last 10 years. For all we want to fault greedy American airlines or the FAA or whomever, this ain't Siberia with service by Aeroflot.

Allegiant apparently has a formula that works. If it doesn't work for certain people, then don't fly 'em. It's like bitching about SWAs procedures; if you don't like 'em, don't fly 'em. Conversely, you can love the hell out of Alaska Airlines but if they don't come near your airport WTF are you going to do?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. vegaskid74

vegaskid74 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's what I was thinking too, but others seem to be having much better luck with on-time performance. Ken makes a good point, though, in that there may just be something about my departure city (Cinci) that leads to more issues. I'm encouraged because I remember reading not too long ago that Allegiant would be using CVG as a hub for extra parts, maintenance staff, and flight crews in order to cut down on delays in this region. I'm not sure it will fix everything, but it can't hurt.

8. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, I imagine Allegiant also just simply has tight tolerances with its hardware, and one going down (not literally) might really gum up the works.

9. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When one of our resident TAs was otherwise badmouthing Allegiant, she was saying that Allegiant was (in)famous for cancelling the flight if the airplane failed a pre-flight test. She was saying that it costs them less to cancel a flight and (eventually, don't hold yer breath) refund the $$$ than it does to fly in another plane to a remote airport with another crew and such.

I do know that both Southwest and the old America West would fly in a spare plane if one had to be removed from service. In the case with America West, the plane they flew in was an old rattle-trap of a different model, and it was kind of a {fill in an ethnicity} fire drill reboarding. "If you don't find your numbered seat, just take any open seat!"

The one that was actually funny, but kind of annoying since I was delayed late on a Sunday evening, was a return flight out of Houston Intercontinental. This was on Untied, in that one terminal where they board all of the teeny toy planes on the lower level. One of the toy planes malfunctioned and the resident toymaker could not get it working right and it was obviously scrambling the schedule badly. They had a dispatch supervisor down in the area and he was in kind of a football type huddle with all of the pilots and FAs and such. It was almost a scene out of a Laurel and Hardy film! "You take this one, you're now flight 224, you're going to Kansas City. You take that one, you're going to Omaha." and such. We did eventually get out and arrived only an hour or so late, IIRC.

10. Jack07

Jack07 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have flown Allegiant from CLE to JAX about 6 times since they started the route a year or so ago. This route uses a newer Airbus 319. We have never been late, and I have had nothing but good experience with it. That being said, years ago I had a horrible experience with them on a flight out of Toledo. The plane was an MD-80 and I think the 80 stood for how old the plane was!

11. TIMSPEED

TIMSPEED Comps on my account, or blood on my knife.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Our experience is similar out of SCK (Stockton; only Allegiant one terminal/gate/plane) easy 55 minute flight in the good old MD80.
    We just did a Frontier out of SJC; using the Airbus A319 (or A320 I forget) and when we made the “turn” in the vegas valley to head for LAS, we hit the CRAZIEST turbulence I’ve EVER felt...I bet even the pilot popped a little.
    Would i fly Frontier again? Ehh..for $55 yes, but I don’t like the big fat plane for a short flight; I’d rather take that MD80 with rear engines.

12. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not sure I'm getting that logic?

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. OhioStateAlum

OhioStateAlum High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not to hijack the thread, but I’m flying Allegiant out of Cincinnati this summer as it was by far the best combination of price plus times.

They have no Tuesday flights to LAS but I’ll be on the 1pm Wednesday. Is there less likelihood of being delayed given that there’s no Tuesday flight, or is that no factor whatsoever?

Sorry for the noob question! Haven’t flown Allegiant in years

14. vegaskid74

vegaskid74 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I fly out of CVG on Allegiant also (typically early afternoon on Mondays), and all of my flights (6-8?) have been delayed. I once read someone else's logic of why so many Allegiant flights have historically been delayed for "mechanical difficulties", and it actually made a lot of sense. In each case of one of my flights being delayed, we were told there was a "mechanical issue" that would be resolved in relatively short order. In each case, we were moved to a different gate and were put on a plane that wasn't originally designated for our flight. I have often wondered, how can Allegiant have mechanical difficulties on so many of their planes? As a deep discount airline I know they probably have an older fleet, but are they really held together with baling wire and duct tape or what? The logic given by the other person for why so many Allegiant flights are delayed for "mechanical difficulties" is that when Allegiant experiences one mechanical difficulty on one flight, rather than delaying that flight for 10-12 hours or however long it would take to fly in a spare plane and flight crew (as a deep discounter Allegiant apparently does not keep spare planes and crews on standby in each region of the country for just such situations like the more expensive airlines do), they simply move the group to the gate of the next scheduled flight to leave at that airport and get them out 1-3 hours late. This of course creates a ripple effect as the passengers who were scheduled to be on that next flight have to be moved to a different gate as well, etc. Apparently they would rather delay 10 different flights at an airport 1-2 hours each rather than one flight 10-12 hours while they wait for a spare plane and crew to arrive.

I have also heard, however, that Allegiant finally grew sufficiently large last year that the FAA/NTSB/Whomever would start requiring them to report their on-time statistics in 2018, and as such they would be making some major changes to improve on-time performance. I read that this would include keeping more spare parts and stand-by flight crews at more airports around the country, and CVG was named as one of those airports. I'll be flying to Vegas next month out of CVG ($101 RT as long as I don't bring anything, eat anything, look at anyone, or ask the flight attendants any questions), and who knows, maybe I'm due for an on-time flight. Of course if that happens, I'll probably lose my entire bankroll on the first day to make up for it.

15. dreric

dreric Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The TSA lines out of PDX were mentioned earlier, and I was told of a nice 'cheat'. Everyone sees the checkpoint to the left as you leave the lobby heading to the C concourse, head to the right, go through the other checkpoint and take the cross hall back over to C. It's a little more walking, but a lots less standing.

16. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep, that's often a good trick.

17. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, damn, we might just be hopping aboard Allegiant in April for a quick two-nighter in V-Town!!

18. OhioStateAlum

OhioStateAlum High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Appreciate the detailed response! Hoping your flight goes well and arrives on time.

19. vegasmacker

vegasmacker Canadian Ambassador for Sully's Bar

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I hate Allegiant so much! Then again I fly them frequently because they are so cheap. For me its more that constant delays, their safety records and their old shitty planes. They are my first gamble of the trip and my last when I fly them. Going back in June....Not on Allegiant!

20. addicted

addicted High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've flown allegiant probably 15 times. Mostly to/from Vegas and a couple Omaha/Florida.

I haven't had any complaints or delays. We were late leaving Omaha once (1/2hr or so) because in Omaha they share a terminal with frontier and for whatever reason the frontier just was delayed leaving. The pilot mentioned it when we got seated and said they were gonna talk with air traffic control and try to make up the time, which they did and we landed on time.

It's been a couple years but I remember some of the md-80s being a little worn, nothing terrible but I've also seen some that look brand new.

I will say their number of incidents have made me a little more nervous lately, but I would think if they had some serious violations the FAA would have shut them down. Maybe I'm wrong, just my thoughts.

I've paid $50 to go Omaha to Tampa and $70 Omaha to Vegas. And people complain about paying for bags?? Tack another $16 or whatever on and you're still nowhere near what the other airlines charge.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.