1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

My thoughts on Allegiant

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by ken2v, Feb 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I flew Allegiant for the first time yesterday, coming home from Vegas. The experience was as I assumed it would be from comments here and there, and there were a few surprises. In no particular order:

Yep, had an MD-80. It was rattly and loud as those old workhorses are. The plane wasn't exactly clean, which seems a conscious decision since the flight originated from Vegas and someone had hours and hours to get in with a vacuum if they wanted.

Do they always board so far in advance? They had folks going down the gangway an hour before wheels-up.

The flight crew went all Dirty Harry on anyone trying to move into a must-pay-extra exit row seat. Having that upgrade, I thought that was cool. Maybe anal, but cool.

I saw no enforcement of whether folks had actually paid the ransom to stow something in an overhead bin.

Effin-'A, they DO charge for everything, don't they?! I didn't have to use the loo. Does that cost $.25 with TP extra?

McCarran: I've not flown out -- through, in, but not out -- of McCarran for a long time. Is TSA always as slow as I experienced yesterday. Wow. And no dedicated pre-check at A/B?

We don't have a lot of flight options to Vegas from here. And unless we want to go up to the Bay Area or down to BUR or LAX, it's Allegiant, which on the plus side is 20 minutes away at a place where you park in front of the terminal. With outbounds/inbounds only twice weekly, and with a totally inadequate weekend-only loop, there won't be many options to partake, however, but for it all it SURE beats that 6+-hour drive each way, particularly when going solo. Some time I'll have to see if I can do it with one checked and keeping my Club Glove under 40 pounds.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've never had issues with TSA speed flying out of McCarran. Maybe just a bad day.

Tentative booking CETDorado farewell tour ends?
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The folks at Caesars had us get there way early out of expectation of snarls. Glad it sounds like an aberration. They had two guys checking BPs and IDs each alternating two lanes, and most of the time only one detector/scanner line. I was wondering like at PDX if it would make sense to hit the other side of the terminal at times.

4. dtmk66

dtmk66 Welcome to Las Vegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Allegiant is the trash bag of the airlines in Oklahoma but if you need a cheap flight and have no bags it' the way to go. We flew Allegiant once and that was enough. :popcorn:

• Love Love x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I assume that's the one with the motors in the back, right? The one I remember the worst was when I got a window seat right next to the motor and the roar was deafening! :(

I never remember Allegiant boarding any earlier than any other airline. Maybe there was some kind of delay at the airport for takeoff? It seems like Allegiant flies many flights out early in the morning so there may have been some kind of a backlog with something.

At McCarran I've seen it where you walk right through and I've seen it where the switchback seems to go on and on and on and on. Again, Allegiant seems to have many outbound flights in the morning at about the same time, so that may have contributed to it.

I haven't flown Allegiant since they moved from the D terminal so I can't swear to it but I thought they did have pre-check on A/B when I got one of those oddball Southwest flights that took off from B. In any case, you probably could go through the pre-check at C and then take the passageway over to A/B.

When Allegiant entered the market here (first out of LNK) our resident TAs warned us about the reputation they had in the industry. Things like pulling out of a city on a moment's notice (they did with LNK) and leaving passengers more or less SOL with a cancelled flight, and nickel-diming and such. In all fairness, I've never had anything bad happen. They have never cancelled on me, major delay, misrouted bags, left me sleeping on the airport floor, all of which Untied has done to me. :(

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don’t know if you could save enough to endure any of that.

7. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If I could drive 45 minutes to SBA, park a two-minute stroll from the terminal, get in a TSA line that never has taken more than five minutes and hop on Alaska Airlines ...

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As to tsa in Las Vegas, they do seem sorta pissy when I’ve gone thru early a.m. I don’t like it either but adjust.

9. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I found most of the agents to be somewhat jovial. It just kinda went off like that sloth on the insurance ad.

10. Druck

Druck Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Allegiant is what it is. The South Bend flights sound similar. Depart Thurs PM, return really, really early Sun AM.

The +'s outweigh the negs. Small, easy airport with convenient parking. The extra leg room seats are worth every penny. The zero dark thirty depart time is brutal, I usually don't bother sleeping that night. TSA has been a crap shoot at that time.

The real entertainment can happen if a checked bag is needed. The lines outside are super long. Flights to small cities all over the country. Everyone is hung over and worried they're going to miss their flight. Rough crowd.

11. mdm4sfest

mdm4sfest VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Flew nonstop/RT from CLE to Savannah last year for $96. Not an amazing plane but it was on time. I will agree wth the early boarding.

Also flew nonstop/RT from CLE to NOLA for $96. Same type of plane and same early boarding for some odd ass reason.

12. todd7764

todd7764 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would never fly Allegient. I think they are flat out unsafe. There have been numerous articles detailing their maintenance and safety issues. And they have had tons of inflight incidents which have often resulted in emergency landings.

No thanks!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You've never driven the 166 getting from the central coast to the valley and on to Vegas!

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Druck

Druck Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I assume the early depart time fees cost Alliegiant less.

15. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always thought it was so they could do all out-back flights on the same day, and never have to put a crew at a hotel in a remote city, and then clean and service the plane in the afternoon/evening.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Allegiant flies out of Honolulu but after looking at their fees I decided not to fly with them. They do have the lowest prices to fly out of Honolulu but when you add in the added expenses and fees it wasn't that much cheaper to fly Hawaiian Airlines. Plus I get the 1st bag free with my HA cc so I usually don't have to pay any added fees other than my ticket.

17. Scottndindy

Scottndindy High-Roller

The early board time isn't because of the airline but because of the customer. They target many smaller areas and most of the customers don't regularly fly. They take forever to do anything including boarding a plane. They also have the zones setup so people with paid carry-ons go at the same time, etc.

18. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    +1

That was a takeaway I didn't put in the original post: It seemed like a sizable hunk had flown little and some not since 9/11.

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. spicole

spicole No shirt, no shoes... NO DICE!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'll never fly Allegiant. A woman I work with used to work in the airline industry, with some time on the safety inspection side. Allegiant is on her "DO NOT FLY" list for many reasons. It isn't worth it to me to save a couple of bucks to not only deal with customer service issues but take unnecessary risks.

On the other hand... I will admit I have a couple of (irrational) pet peeves while traveling. I have little patience with people for whom flying is some sort of mystical torture process that they should fear more than death or taxes, and literally have gone out of their way to avoid flying in the past 16+ years because of 9/11. Sack up, people. I hate traveling during the holidays for the same reason. I never say or do anything rude or impolite but I will sometimes roll my eyes so far into the back of my head that they are going to stick there some day. /rant

20. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

Got off an outbound Allegiant flight today. As usual, completely satisfied.
    Plane left on time, price was less than my old standby SWA, seats were comfortable enough and I was deposited at a regional airport close to home.
    No matter what domestic carrier I'm on, safety is no longer a concern for me in the 21st century.
    Do agree, though, that the engine roar alongside row 30 and up sucks

• Informative Informative x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.