1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

My nephew and his travels

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My nephew is very well off but does a demanding job which involves world travel. Yesterday he flew from Manila to Tokyo (5 hrs), then Tokyo to LA (12 hrs) and finally LA to Chicago which is home (4hrs). That doesn't include layovers and time zone changes.

Monday he leaves for London.

I used to kid him that he was young and could handle it, but he turns 51 this year. Damn, I'm getting old also.

It has paid off for him, his wife and their two kids. They have a corner penthouse condo on the top floor overlooking the Miracle Mile and Lake Michigan and now just purchased the unit below them to cut a hole and install a circular stairway for a place for the kids to play and guests to stay.

Money is nice but I can't imagine that kind of travel. I also can't imagine that kind of wealth from a nephew of mine. We grew up working class. His dad, my brother, was an electrician. He has done well for himself, I just hope it doesn't take a toll on him or his family.

Totally non Vegas, but I would sooner post here then on FB. BTW, he is smart and not on FB.

Anniversary trip
    Sept 7-11 trip. I feel the luck already.
    • Like Like x 2
  2. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    WOW! Good for him! I love that stretch of Michigan Ave. in Chicago and always wondered who lived in those joints. I'm with you Joe on the travel thing though. That's REAL travel! For most of my career my travel was 90% Reno/Vegas with an occasional conference thrown in that would take me to a major nationwide destination for 4-5 days like Seattle, St. Louis, Orlando or yes... Chicago. I always took a day or two off upon returning home.

Then I retired and took a consulting job that had me traveling to large cities west of the Mississippi about half of every month. The other half, I'd work from home in my shorts. It wore me out and I lasted 18 months. It was just a grind for me and I swear I was 2 inches taller heading out on a trip than I was coming back! However, I worked with others who did the same thing for years and they seemed to thrive on it... to be fair, they were either divorced or had never married.

The travel wasn't as "glamorous" as it looked... at least not for me.

3. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My dad used to do a lot of business in China. Once, a trip overlapped with the annual USGA meeting. He flew to China for a week, then to Florida and then back to China. I have no idea how the jet lag didn't kill him. I get messed up spending a week in Idaho and having to switch back to Pacific time, trying stay up past 10pm. :haha:

4. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Business travel gets old in a hurry.

At least living in Chicago he can get a direct flight to almost anywhere.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Camp Rusty

Camp Rusty VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sounds like he has worked hard for his success, good for him !

Bet he has one of those fancy watches that changes time zones as you move around.

Not sure I could do that kind of travel, have flown Seattle to Seoul a couple times, and Seattle to Auckland once, just too long a flight for me. Maybe makes a difference if you were in first class, but it’s still a long time trapped in an aluminum tube.

Sounds like you have a nice place to stay next time you visit Chicago :):):)

6. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing tirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Joe. Maybe Chicago plays Milwaukee before your expiration. You could be the last to stay in the corner suite below before the circular hole is installed.

Hot? Not in July~~~~~it’s just drier.
  7. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know a lot of people who while lacking those flights still work very long hours and they don't have the penthouse-type remuneration. One of my nephew's is a private pilot. He's in the air all the time. Loves it. I have family with a similar living situation in Seattle -- we love being gypsies in the palace.

I travel more than most, less than many, and though the whys of my travels are somewhat out of the ordinary -- and mostly just plain old fun -- it does wear on you. And I certainly don't have penthouse-type remuneration.

8. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing tirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Dude. That’s deep.

Hot? Not in July~~~~~it’s just drier.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    lol

And speaking of travel: I'm pulling together the mass of receipts and notes, bank statements, putting crap into Excel, so our tax guy can do his thing. I took a lot of trips last year. Wow. Selective amnesia, I think.

10. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for sharing, @Joe!
    Nice to see work ethic and hard work pay off for what sounds like a great nephew! :D

RICHARD

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. NYNYGirl

NYNYGirl VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow maybe I should be grateful i never had a job that involved travel, didn't realize the wear on one. Otherwise great job for the op's nephew. Hope his happiness lasts long.

He must have some major airline miles and hotel points...

12. gambler

gambler VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can't imagine doing a flight that far as part of a pleasure trip, let alone as part of my livelihood.

My flight attendant friend lives a 1 hour flight or a 7 hour drive from her home to her airline hub and then she flies to Europe. Her life is always dependent on the weather as to whether she arrives home at any given time and/or event. For those who have to travel far distances for work, it's a big factor in their life.

It's interesting though to think of all the different careers that people choose. What would seem a burden for one turns out to be an exciting career path for someone else. It sounds like your nephew's doing good though Joe!

13. vegasdev

vegasdev VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    it sounds like he has worked hard AND has been blessed. good for him. the travel sounds head-spinning.
    I miss Chicago. I used to go often in my 20's and 30's with a rotating cast of friends. those were the days my friend......

14. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Those long flights can be tough, but we'd rather be slightly inconvenienced for some number of hours as opposed to never experiencing a place like New Zealand.

Life is pretty damn good when you think about all the options we all have to allow us to scratch our personal itches to explore and experience.

15. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm proud of him. He enlisted in the Army and worked his way up to full bird Colonel and he traveled the world, maybe that is how he got used to all this travel. He keeps working his way up now in the private sector. His title now is Senior Vice President of Global Services and Support for a company obviously with global units. I guess they call that logistics now. It doesn't always work out, but he tries to be home every weekend with family. He needs a desk job (my opinion) because his company's headquarters are only a couple of miles from his house in downtown Chicago. I'm intentionally leaving out the company name.

Anniversary trip
    Sept 7-11 trip. I feel the luck already.