1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Moving to Las Vegas Valley (Henderson)

Discussion in 'Living in Sin (City that is)' started by Fligster, Jun 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fligster

Fligster VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We are moving to the Las Vegas Valley, specifically Henderson Nevada.

We had planned to move to the Las Vegas area in 3-4 years after our son Josh finished High School, but we decided why wait. Everyone was game to do it now so we are making it happen.

We’ve gone through a lot of iterations of deciding where in the Valley to live. We considered Summerlin and Henderson and in the end decided on Henderson.

We originally thought we wanted to build a new house, but based on the starting prices and then all the additional costs, it wasn’t worth it compared to what we could get by purchasing a 1-3 year-old resale house.

We decided to move this summer so Josh can start school at the beginning of his sophomore year. Clark County starts on 8/12 which is a lot earlier than we are used to.

After various iterations and some sleepless nights by Jen (my wife) , we decided to sell our house in NJ first before getting a house in Henderson, even though we were approved for the second mortgage.

So, we got an apartment that Josh and I will live in starting in August. Jen will stay back with the dogs to sell the house and then move out when that is done. The great news is we used a recommended realtor who happened to have the perfect clients for our house and they offered full price before we even officially listed it. So, we will all be in Henderson before Labor Day.

Once we are all in Henderson, we will start looking for our new house.

We will be vlogging this whole experience from moving out to the Apartment, to finding a home, to getting settled etc. Once settled we will start regularly filming Las Vegas area videos.

We are heading out Tomorrow to get the apartment, meet with our realtor and do a bunch of other preliminary things. I will have a Trip report thread on VMB.

If you want to follow the VLOG please subscribe here:

https://youtube.com/FligsFamilyFun

Here is the first episode.

• Like Like x 7
    • Love Love x 1
  2. Glenn357M

Glenn357M High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi Neighbor from the great northwest area.Congrats! We lived in a hotel for a month and a half until we got into our home. Our trip out here was with 2 dogs and two cats in a van last year.

3. Fligster

Fligster VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We had to do an apartment so we can register our son in school. We have a 9 month lease, but has a buyout clause. At least we only have 2 dogs, and it won't be me it will be me wife driving out with them :)

4. Glenn357M

Glenn357M High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Totally understand the apartment. We were looking for short term house rental but our 30 pound dogs were to big for all the people we contacted. Or they wanted a large non refundable deposit.

• Love Love x 1
  5. carolineno

carolineno VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow, congrats! I always daydream about moving to Vegas. I have one of the zip codes I like taped to my monitor so I can occasionally stalk realtor.com !

It will be interesting to view your vlog now that it is from the perspective of new residents.

6. robert m.

robert m. High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Proud of you!

Take a leap & enjoy your life!

I hope to be able to hear good reports from you.

Best wishes!

7. ExVegasLocal

ExVegasLocal Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I get it. I have never been a "renter". I have always preferred to own a home. But I did own a house in Vegas for 11 years and experienced stable prices, boom prices, and bust prices. And here's what I learned:

Las Vegas has the most volatile home prices in the country (not the highest/lowest at any given point - the most volatile).

I bought my home there in 1995. Coming from SoCal it was a great deal. Over the next 10 years, that house appreciated in value by 245%, from the original $140,000 to $340,000 at its peak. We sold that house at its peak in 2006. Three years later, it sold for $182,000. (It was probably a foreclosure/bank sale.) Today, that house is valued at $310,000.

We are lucky to have timed that one correctly. But the market in Vegas in on a tear again. And again, the homes are overvalued, IMHO.

Rent a home that has every amenity you want and is in your desired location. Sit tight. Enjoy your low maintenance lifestyle. Make sure you like the neighborhood and the neighbors. After a couple of years, you might find that you prefer another area of town. When the market declines, wait a year to strike. Then, you'll have your pick at fire sale prices.

Good luck!

• Like Like x 2
  8. MARK

MARK Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Congrats! Moves to Green Valley Henderson for cold Toronto Canada and we stand by our decision. LOVE living here!

9. 93 Octane

93 Octane Chief Bottle Washer

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Stay hydrated!

10. Rookies11

Rookies11 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Very sharp idea, posting your entire process on a VLOG! No doubt, very helpful to others.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Glenn357M

Glenn357M High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    soooooooo hows it going?

12. Fligster

Fligster VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great. Apartment all setup, getting familiar with the area, trying to adjust to apartment living. We will start looking for a house once our house closes and the mrs is out here at the end of August. It will be interesting to see how school goes for Josh in a few weeks.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLNBod0p8Nm3OXXENMgxzlzizUmX7K3s1l

• Like Like x 4
  13. azlefty

azlefty VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Congrats on this big plunge, and good luck to your son at his new school. Do you have jobs that you can do from anywhere?

14. Fligster

Fligster VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was already working from home three days a week, only going into the office twice a week. So I am now just working remotely full time.

Jen does freelance writing and some web design which she can do anywhere.

• Like Like x 1
  15. vegasdev

vegasdev VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    sounds great!

16. h0llywood

h0llywood VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How’s life in Henderson so far? Any bumps on the road?

17. Fligster

Fligster VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So far so good. Will see what happens when josh starts school on Monday. Have to get used to apartment living and being on the 3rd floor. Only bump has been a motorcycle parking in my carport spot, but they put a sticker on it and hasn't been in it since.

18. h0llywood

h0llywood VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That’s great! Our kids start school Monday as well (3rd and 9th grade) and it will be a big adjustment for them. Good luck to you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.