1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Moving. Now what???

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by dnreyes23, Nov 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dnreyes23

dnreyes23 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wife is getting a job transfer from Houston to San Antonio. I'm a stay at home dad and I'm struggling with the looming transition. I play basketball and work out with a close knit group of guys several days a week at lifetime fitness. I'm a little old at 34 to be starting over making friends. I've lived in Houston for 10 years now. I might join a cross fit gym just to get started with the social aspect. Of course it's even harder to find gamblers. Any suggestions on getting settled in or meeting new people?

2. Imperial_Palace_King

Imperial_Palace_King High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know in my area of California there is an adult social sports league. Very good place to meet people. They do everything from cornhole to softball. Maybe there is something like that in SanAntone.

3. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow 34 is really old,better get your affairs in order.

• Funny Funny x 5
  4. bluesdude

bluesdude VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, I have a problem with that one also! :)
    OP, I think you'll be fine. You obviously know how to make friends and I am sure that you will have no problem making new friends.

5. Geogran

Geogran texas yankee

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In addition to joining a gym, if your kids are into sports like soccer, baseball, etc - sign them up now to play in the New Year - you could even volunteer to help the team. The parents and coaches are very active and social on these teams and a good way for both you and your kids to make new friends at the games and most also have get togethers several times a season at restaurants/fast food places.

Best of luck!

6. wesraft

wesraft Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Check out all the options available on Meetup San Antonio. You are in or near the Hill Country, with lots of outdoor activities available. Hiking, Canoeing, Kayaking, Scuba, even caving and more. The Alamo City Rivermen club has been around for a long time and is extremely welcoming to newcomers. The climate and environment is much more like Vegas than Houston. I think you will enjoy the change once you expand your horizons. Good luck!

7. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm originally from San Antonio and it is a wonderful city. They have a lot of teams and leagues for different sports. You can google and find a lot of information. Teams are always looking for players. You will love it. If you bicycle there are lots of clubs and lots of rides in the hill country- which is where I live now. Tex-Mex food to die for.

8. Geogran

Geogran texas yankee

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Totally agree! We live in Austin and just love spending time in San Antonio - friendly people and great Tex-Mex food abound; and so many cultural and historic places to take in. And for a city its size, easy to get around in.

9. h0und10

h0und10 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How about picking up a part time job to try to meet some people? a little extra gambling money never hurts either!

10. searchin

searchin Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    you dont mention the age(s) of your kid(s). My son in law turned down a raise/promotion at work because it would involve a shift change. He met a group of guys and thier kids at the park he takes his 3 yr old to and now its a regular meeting he doesnt want to miss. So now he has friends and his kid has friends. Priceless !
    Check if there is a ymca. They cater to families. They have childcare. At least at the one I know of. You can make friends with dads that have kids too.

11. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    San Antonio, is considered a tourist city which means they have lots of activities. They have lots of places with lots of Music and wonderful places to eat at. It is a lively city and I know you will meet lots of people and make new friends.
    I know you will like it better than Houston. Your Houston friends will want to go visit you a lot so make sure you have extra sofas or beds for them to sleep on. You will be surprised how much fun you will have in your new location. Start packing and have your friends help you to move.

12. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Get off your ass and get a job. Ever hear of day care?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  13. Suekel

Suekel VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I hope you're just being a smartass Breeze.

Funny how infrequently people say that to a stay at home wife. If their family has decided having him stay home with the kids makes sense, that's A-OK with me.

• Like Like x 2
  14. ken2v

ken2v Wish I was in Bend

America's most valuable agricultural expanse
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    34? Please. I relocated (single) from Oregon back to CA at 29 and then at 50 we moved from bustling So Cal to a small town four or so hours up coast when my wife took a new position. You'll be fine. Friends stay friends, and now you'll find new ones. New neighbors, people at your wife's workplace, church if you are into that kind of thing, indeed get right back into your fitness routine ... tip of the iceberg. Enjoy the move! Great things happen when we let go of the edge of the pool!!

• Like Like x 1
  15. TIMSPEED

TIMSPEED The biggest Degenerate on VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I lol'd at this thread.

Back with a bundle! (OF CASH!)
  16. smerrian

smerrian View from Bally's

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The YMHA in my area has a huge adult basketball league. Check the YMHA or YMCA.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.