1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Table Games Miserable pit bosses

Discussion in 'Table Games' started by VegasDaytripper, Sep 22, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VegasDaytripper

VegasDaytripper Re-Retired Degen

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We often talk about good or bad dealers
    But what about the pit bosses?

I feel like most of the older ones have been in their position for too long and are sick of being there
    And it shows
    Hardly a welcome. Takes forever to come around and enter buy-in and player ratings.
    Staring at you blankly when you try to be friendly
    Can I at least get a "good luck" as you hand me back my player card?

Most dealers are okay to good, since they want to make you happy and earn more tips
    Pit bosses can't be bothered

I'm painting with a broad brush, of course
    I have definitely come across many friendly ones
    Write up a comp slip (for places that do that)
    Ask about how things are going when they recognize you from coming to their tables every month

Do the pit bosses get a cut of the dealer tips? Does it vary by property?
    Do you tip the pit boss directly?
    Let's hear it

• Love Love x 1
  2. ReTriggerMe

ReTriggerMe Stand Up to Jewish Hate!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've never tipped a pit boss directly.

I've been frustrated when it takes them a long time to come check me in, but to be fair, the dealer will note the buy in and how long I've played. It's rare, but very frustrating, when I've lost my bankroll before I even get checked in.

I can't recall an impolite or unfriendly boss, and my card's always returned with "good luck" and my name. (I have had some unfriendly dealers)

For perspective, however, I'm not the best judge. I'm 90% slots, and I consider my $25 or $50 hand sessions at Pai Gow Poker or a carney game to be worth almost nothing relative to my rating... so I don't over-think it. If I played hours and hours at tables, I'm sure I'd feel differently.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've found the same pit boss being very friendly when the tables are ice cold and quiet, sullen, and surly when the tables are hot.

Pit bosses are not our friends.

• Agree Agree x 6
  4. LB9

LB9 PH Blackjack Degen

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've found several of them in Vegas are quite friendly frankly, and this is at several properties (mostly CET, but some MGM to be fair). Granted, I don't ask for anything until the end of a session and then it's only my rating as paper comps have unfortunately gone by the wayside (even in AC which outlasted Vegas), but I never get mad at them or the dealers irrespective of how I'm doing, especially given nobody forces me to go there, thus I try to just be friendly. In AC on the other hand, I've found several pit bosses whom aren't particularly friendly, however, none have gone out of their way to be unfriendly if that makes sense. It's a different market, and the people local to that area, such as the pit bosses for the most part, have different dispositions if we're generalizing (whereas in Vegas, people are from everywhere).

Last edited: Sep 22, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Jsmile898

Jsmile898 Addition By Subtraction and Better Off

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't expect pit to be particularly friendly. However if the dealer, pit or other players are miserable, cranky, mean or overall bad vibes. It'd rather get up and walk.

• Agree Agree x 6
  6. Jer

Jer “The Walrus has spoken”

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I’ll be quite honest. I expect them to just be polite, not a dick, and do their jobs. I’ve encountered all sorts, but in the whole grand scheme of things, not too many bad apples at all in Vegas. Assorted locals? Different story.

7. vegaskid74

vegaskid74 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think this is the crux of the matter. At some properties with enlightened management, they don't sweat the day-to-day fluctuations in win/loss results, understanding that they're in the gaming business after all and sometimes the players win. At other properties, pit supervisors are made to feel like they're personally responsible for what the cards and dice do, and if management is sweating them, they're naturally going to sweat the players.

If they had any sense, they'd realize that the cards and dice are going to do their thing with no outside help, and they might as well cheer for the players when they win and commiserate with them when they lose. Players would enjoy an environment like that much more, and they wouldn't mind losing so much.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Jejas

Jejas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My understanding (for most places) pit bosses don't get dealer's tips.
    So they have no incentive to wish you good luck and win (thus more tip).
    I know some places pit bosses are also dealers (in another shifts), so they do share tips, those are the ones nicer to players.

9. fasbman

fasbman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have only had one bad experience with a pit boss (actually he was a floorman). If I asked him for my rating after a session, he made it quite clear that I was bothering him. The worst was when after a session in which I had taken a marker. I had a winning session, so I asked to pay off the marker at the table (they hadn't sent it to the cashier yet).

Instead of giving me back the original marker (with my signature), he gave me one of the carbon copies. I told him that I didn't think that was right. He basically yelled at me, for questioning him. Biting my tongue, I repeated that I thought he gave me a copy instead of the original. He exploded at me. Fortunately, at that time, the real pit boss heard the exchange and came over to see what the problem was. I showed him the copy the floorman gave me. He looked at it, and said, "Well, I'm glad that at least one of you knows what you're doing"! He then told the floorman to give me the original marker. The floorman looked like he wanted to strangle me (I'm sure that the pit boss had a few choice words with him later and maybe he even got written up). I avoided playing anytime I saw that floorman in the future.

• Wow! Wow! x 11
  10. DegenasaurusRex

DegenasaurusRex Short arms , hot dice

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Never had an issue with a pit boss . Usually, they make it that far their customer skills need to be polished. Side note you get a pit crew who is friendly and helpful it’s going to get more tips. At least from me!

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. jfeathe1211

jfeathe1211 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I’ve had no issues with a pit boss but no extraordinarily nice or memorable interactions either. However, I wouldn’t expect a pit boss to be able to have more than a few sentences of conversation as their duties naturally divide their attention across multiple tables and dealers.

I’ve seen a few bosses get visibly annoyed by a dealer’s mistake but I’ve also seen many compassionate responses which I always appreciate. I also greatly appreciate when a pit boss does what they can to help a new player who made an honest mistake such as flipping main and side bets or setting cards improperly in Pai Gow poker. That little bit of kindness goes a long way in establishing an enjoyable atmosphere.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Greeny50000

Greeny50000 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Never had any issues, usually more laid back and joking around. It certainly helps when everyone is being respectful and they know you tip well and are going to be a respectful player. Also helped that the pitboss remembered me and got all my $500 bill comped at checkout.

13. vegasnut

vegasnut VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Most pitbosses are fine but i get your point
    Back in the old days 2007/2010 i remember ( stayed at ip that time) they were like your friends and if there was an issue they were like ok just pay him
    My new home since 2013 ballys i knew all the dealers and pitbosses and we knew eachother by name and friendly greetings ( or is it because i am a nice guy?o_O:D ) any way one pitboss ( some lady from former east europe) was just a :soapbox:.....inconsistent in her decisions and also not friendly or helpfull to ther customers.....i had management come down and explained them the issue and they overrode her and told me i was right....( dealers told me they didnt liked her too :kill: ) anyway most pitbosses are okay, some are bad some are not interested and it shows

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. fasbman

fasbman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    nice guy?o_O:D ) any way one pitboss ( some lady from former east europe) was just a :soapbox:.....inconsistent in her decisions and also not friendly or helpfull to ther customers.....i had management come down and explained them the issue and they overrode her and told me i was right....( dealers told me they didnt liked her too :kill: ) anyway most pitbosses are okay, some are bad some are not interested and it shows

It sounds like that lady, and the floorman in my post, would have made a great couple!

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. DaddyCaddy

DaddyCaddy Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A pit critter, Bobby, I think, behind dice table at Aria (a couple of years ago) could quote
    just about every funny line from Blazing Saddles and many other Mel Brooks movies, one could see how he enjoyed customers and the dealers alike.
    He seemed happy to be there.

Back to Bellagio
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  16. Jer

Jer “The Walrus has spoken”

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I remember that guy! If it’s the same guy, he knew a ton of History of the World lines. I was losing my ass but that was a great time!

• Like Like x 3
  17. WHITEJACKET73

WHITEJACKET73 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The pit bosses at the old Barbary Coast were a little gruff, but they had a sense of humor. However, the few times that I have played craps at Binion's, I have encountered the most surliest of pit bosses anywhere in Vegas. They are about as friendly as a cornered wolverine.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Here2Learn

Here2Learn High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've had one bad experience with a pit boss at golden gate. I went on a long run and he lost his mind saying I was cheating by throwing the dice too high. They had to stop the table and video review for whatever reason. After that I wasn't allowed to roll again when he is working and remembers me to this day.

• Wow! Wow! x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  19. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Once at the Orleans multiple years ago there was an error on the table made by a player move and dealer moving on…..perhaps the signal to hit or stand. Anyway dealer draws to 20…..most lose. WTF? Pit cones over to the 5$ table and surveys about 80$ on the table.
    We were having fun. He figures paying everybody was fair…..and he surmised if we were pleased we’d stay and it was a matter of just a little more time to get the 80+$’s back and then some.
    He was right. And THAT is what I think has gone wrong with the evolution. As Benny said once, give a sucker an even break and just sit back…..:) He may have been a “made man” in Dallas prior to moving on, but he knew how to make money in the business AND knew how to deal with gamblers seeking a good time. :) But that time has sadly passed. :(

• Like Like x 6
  20. vegaskid74

vegaskid74 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's a real shame what Binion's has become. Back when Benny and his sons were running the joint they would book any bet from any player. In the 90's Archie Karas famously went on a years-long craps streak winning millions from the Horseshoe , and they patiently waited for him to lose it all back and then some, which he did. Today they sweat you mercilessly if you have a roll lasting more than ten or fifteen minutes. What a dump.

• Like Like x 2
    • Wow! Wow! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.