1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Michael Jackson ONE: A Few Questions

Discussion in 'Shows & Entertainment' started by thecarve, Jul 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mitkraft

Mitkraft VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm curious, would you say you are much less familiar with later MJ music? I think his later stuff did have a fair amount of screeching guitar hence his hiring Orianthi Panagaris as lead guitarist for the "This Is It" tour/video. Also, in Dirty Diana, he actually used Billy Idol's guitarist who wailed quite a bit in the video.

I don't think its very genuine to make that statement and tell someone they will hate something when the overwhelming majority of people like or even love it. I haven't seen it yet but have really wanted to ever since the first reviews started rolling in. I love to hear both sides and always want to hear from the dissenters especially in reviews but at this point you have to at least acknowledge that you are in the minority and that the chances of others hating it also aren't as high as them liking it.

2. Dean Martin

Dean Martin VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I’d say that’s a really fair assessment. In fact as I read thru this whole thread again, I realized that all of my exposure to MJ music was early stuff, up until about Thriller. It’s also pretty fair to say that I wouldn’t like his post Thriller music and as such, probably shouldn’t have commented on the thread. I truly have never heard of some of the music you’re mentioning...:rolleyes2:

3. Mitkraft

Mitkraft VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd say if you liked him up till Thriller you'd probably still find a fair amount of material that you still liked. He was still MJ after all. But you might also find that there was some that were more contemporary that maybe don't resonate with you. He was after all the "King of Pop" so he clearly found a way to continue to be popular even as the styles of pop music changed but I still think on any given album there is probably something for everyone. And I say that just as a casual fan. I'm not even a raving one nor do I even own that many of his albums.

4. roycpa

roycpa High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I guess I'm not genuine, then. I'll gladly acknowledge that I'm in the minority - I was obviously just giving my opinion. Like DM, I should have just let the glowing reviews stand by themselves, I guess.

5. Mitkraft

Mitkraft VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry, I didn't mean to come off that way and maybe I did. Like I said, I like to hear the dissenting reviews also.

6. IM ALL IN

IM ALL IN High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've usually got an aisle seat or close to (with the exception of last time, the 11th time, and to see the costumes up close when Thriller happens...).

7. Dean Martin

Dean Martin VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Dude.....MJ1 or Stevie? That's a no brainer:beer: Where is he playing?

8. Dean Martin

Dean Martin VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  9. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Park Theater.

All things being equal, it would be a no brainer. But the show is the night we arrive and any significant delay would cause us to miss it. And American has a history of screwing us out of Vegas shows :grrr: (Bruno Mars on NYE a few years back.)

I think we’re going to see if there are still decent seats available (in our price range) when we touch down. If not, we’ll do MJ.

10. Dean Martin

Dean Martin VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bruno Mars would be a really good show, so much more entertainment than just a singer and his music (to me) really fits Vegas. He'd be an awesome show for some property to book long term but I'd guess that's not on his agenda...at least not at this point in his career. It'd be a great show for Wynn to book though, like they do others for a limited engagement.

Have a great trip my friend, whichever show you see and let us know what you think! Oh.....and we want a pic of the 4 Aces w/ the kicker on $5 DDB:headbang:

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Nittany1

Nittany1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have seen it twice and really enjoyed it.
    Probably go back again next year.
    I agree with Dean about the guitar part.It was the one thing that really seemed out of place .

12. Jejas

Jejas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Overwhelming majority of people like it?
    That's more like an over statement.
    I am not a fan of MJ. I saw the show, for free, I didn't like the show. Too loud.
    Of course, I know none of his songs.
    I asked two of my cousins who were visiting Vegas if they wanted
    to see a Cirque du Soleil Michael Jackson show for free.
    One said "I love Cirque du Soleil, but who is Michael Jackson".
    The another said: "Michael Jackson? that's so ancient. No"
    I just want to say not everyone is a MJ fan, or even knows him.

13. JoJoR

JoJoR VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Actually, it's not really an overstatement if you look at the reviews. 92% of TripAdvisor reviews are 4 or 5 stars. Yelp reviews are very similar.

14. BenjaminNicholas

BenjaminNicholas MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Why would you see a show you likely knew you had no interest in? Free doesn't make it advisable.

ONE is making Cirque money. The only show at the moment where they're papering is (and remains) Criss Angel's production.

15. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Usually the Cirque shows don't have good/bad seats. Just different perspectives.
    But for your options, I would go 2 or 3. Too much going on at these shows to sit up close.

• Like Like x 1
  16. drfishalot

drfishalot Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    He has some good songs, that was prob the best part, the music. I like cirque shows too. Not great not bad overall. I took my wife and son. Dint think it was worth the almost 500$ it cost

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.