1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Memphis BBQ Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by jgates8, Sep 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jgates8

jgates8 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Anyone here from the Memphis area?

We have gone a couple times (stay at Horseshoe Tunica) & have hit several of the BBQ joints in Beale Street area (Rendezvous, BBKings, Pig on Beale & one with an outdoor courtyard you can eat in - can't remember name but same side as Pig & BB's???)

Just looking for a 'new' spot to grab ribs/pulled pork.

Anyone from that area (or a visitor) that has suggestions? It doesn't have to be on Beale Street - but looking for something easy to locate in town.

I believe we also did hit up Dyer's Burgers on one of the last trips also - I remember the century old grease deal lol.

Thanks in advance if you have any suggestions!

Easter again..:
  2. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I got nuthin' to add to the conversation, save that I'm jealous!

3. Taking

Taking Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Try Central BBQ. They have 3 different locations, 1 in downtown.

4. jgates8

jgates8 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you - I'll map Central.

Ken2v - I was IN Vegas & I got a text message saying 'are we going to Memphis this year? I think we missed a few BBQ restaurants' - What? I thought we were doing the Blue Ridge Parkway......guess it's back to BBQ lol.

Easter again..:
  5. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There is a place right where Goodman Rd and I-55 come together, on the northwest corner in front of Home Depot. The owners have won a TON of awards.. maybe hundreds?

Oh hell... just found the link, here you go... http://memphisbbqco.com/menus/

6. jgates8

jgates8 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Would that be the location listed as Horn Lake for MemphisBBQCo? (I see they have 3 but I think that is the one you are referring to??). That looks like it could be pretty easily accessible from Tunica if I cut across on 302 (is that Goodman Road?)

Easter again..:
  7. akhoya362

akhoya362 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I prefer Central mid-town over Central downtown, although both beat Rendezvous hands down. (I think Rendezvous is a bit overrated.)

Cozy Corner is my favorite spot for BBQ. And if you're on Beale Street, Blues City Cafe is by far the best (especially at 3am -- they have a great catfish and ribs special called the best meal on Beale).

8. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, it's on Goodman on the eastern edge of Horn Lake in the plaza with the Kroger, Target, Texas Roadhouse, etc. You can also take 304/I-69 to I-55 north to Goodman to get there as well. I ate there once before. It wasn't bad but we haven't gone back either. Prices aren't cheap, but the grilled chicken platter I got was gigantic. G/f and I could have almost split it.

9. jgates8

jgates8 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Looks like Cozy Corner is out (Tues to Sat and only till 6). (We arrive Sunday around lunch & leave Tuesday for Nashville)

I know where Blues City is (across from BBs?) and have a general idea of Central location(s).

Thank you guys - I appreciate this!

Easter again..:
  10. Ernie Vegas

Ernie Vegas Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just booked our room for Beale Street Music Festival so I am pilfering the Beale St recommendations. Thanks!

11. martinr

martinr Rock Chalk Jayhawk

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Here is my list:
    Double J Smokehouse near The Arcade Restaurant downtown. Not fancy but outstanding ribs.
    Germantown Commissary out in the suburb of Germantown. Everything is great there and worth the drive if you have the time.
    One and Only BBQ is fairly new on the scene. It's in East Memphis and it's hard to go wrong there with their menu.
    It's a preference thing, but us locals go to Tops BBQ for our sandwiches as I have done for at least 50 years. They're all over the area. They recently added ribs to their menu, but they should have stuck to what they're famous for.
    Don't judge Memphis Bbq by the Rendezvous.

First Time Staying on the South End. Will I Hear Southern Accents?
  12. themightydude

themightydude High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I lived in memphis for quite a while, and my favorite spot was Interstate BBQ. There's one off of 3rd street not far from 240/55, and there's also one in Mississippi off stateline rd. Definitely go for the BBQ nachos there as an appetizer.

As some other people have said, I don't really recommend Rendezvous. It's not bad, and the environment is cool, but definitely not the best in Memphis. Central like others have said is good as well. Also, the BBQ shop on madison is good. I like their pulled pork sandwich on texas toast.

One and only as the above poster stated is pretty good too. I went to visit some friends a couple months ago and we went there.

Enjoy!

13. ACMike

ACMike High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We tried Central last month and I thought the ribs and sausage were excellent. The pulled pork was average.

14. jpw711

jpw711 Is that your cat?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The interstate bbq on 3rd street is easy easy access from Tunica, right up hwy 61, cross over I-55 and it's on the left about 2 blocks up. I'm a fan of the bbq s'getti. And on the way back to tunica, stop off at "old Skool Hot Wings" in Walls, MS, about 1 mile south of the state line on the right. Place doesn't look like much, but their wings are good, very good. So is the okra. (it's on 61 too)

No reason to go home yet.
  15. jgates8

jgates8 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you guys again for all your suggestions. Because we arrived late on first day (ended up at Lambert's Throwed Rolls place on the way down) we ended up with only one BBQ meal in Memphis. Went to Central - the one located by the Civil Rights Museum and food was outstanding.

Ended up at Jack's in Nashville two nights. We were going to try something different on night 2, but I was hungry and said we knew we'd be getting good BBQ at Jacks so lets just go back & we did.

Easter again..:
Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.