1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Measles at MGM/Emeril's Fish House

Discussion in 'LV Strip Hotels' started by DK528, Feb 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DK528

DK528 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, this may make my trip in 6 days to MGM Grand a bit more interesting:

http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/las-vegas/clark-county-has-3-new-cases-measles

Note: we're all fully vaccinated but curious about whether vaccinated people can carry it and pass along to under-immunized people. I see my 18 month old niece a bunch, she hasn't finished her vaccinations and I think there's a long incubation period for measles. I'll be doing some research!

2. USCHawks

USCHawks High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well that gives me something to think about for the next three days!

3. waverunner

waverunner ------VEGA$------

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So Emeril is serving measles instead of mussels at his seafood restaurant? I knew something was fishy about him.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  4. archie

archie Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    always service was a bit spotty in that place!

5. donfairplay

donfairplay VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    emeril measles.jpg

Measles didn't affect Emeril's hands because about 3 minutes into this 4 minute MS Paintshop, I felt I shouldn't post it. Mainly because I like Emeril, and I like his Fish House restaurant at MGM. The lunch poboy specials are rather affordable for 3 courses.

But I already spent 4 minutes on it, so there. It's the thought that counts, right?

6. Username

Username VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    FUNNY.............just wondering though, seriously when is the last time Emeril was at this restaurant and how frequent he drops by. Same for other famous chiefs.

7. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was just coming here to post this news with a request. This thread was already here and had already started heading in the direction I'd prefer it didn't.

I know the big topic of discussion on all the other places on the InterTubez is about vaccination and those crazy morons who do/don't and personal politics and beliefs and this person is a moron and what is wrong with people, etc. I'd prefer we avoid that kind of stuff here because it does eventually turn to politics, fighting and insults.

Let's try to keep the topic factual and on the topic of avoiding getting measles in Vegas.

Do pedialyte packets help with measles exposure as well as it does liver toxicity? ;)

8. Username

Username VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Vaccination is the best defense.

9. DK528

DK528 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So we booked to stay at MGM for free for two rooms (my offer and myvegas nights for the other room) for Thurs-Sun. I have an Aria offer that I can use and if I can get a tier discount on the other room, we could stay at Aria Thurs-Sun for $100 each if we're concerned enough about the measles.

One friend just texted "$100 each for Aria isn't unreasonable." Another wrote back "that's not bad." My friends have some high expectations, huh? $100 each for two rooms for three nights at a great hotel is "not unreasonable" :rolleyes2: They've gotten too used to staying with me for free!

10. davidcyndi

davidcyndi MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    IF you got vaccinated as a child you have no reason to change hotels.

11. DK528

DK528 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You're probably right but the article mentions that among the confirmed cases in Vegas are a vaccinated adult and a vaccinated teenager. I'd probably have it in the back of my mind during my trip and would rather switch and pay a tiny bit of money, stay at a nicer place, and worry less.

12. REELmoneySlotFan

REELmoneySlotFan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Relax folks, because somebody in Vegas cought it does not mean you will get sick at all. No reason to change hotels, it's not like you're going to the heart of Ebola country. But if it makes you feel better, go ahead.

13. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Adults can be re-vaccinated and may not be a bad idea - or have a titer drawn.

14. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would be more afraid of getting Pertussis/Whooping Cough - I got it from a toddler in the hospital about 10 years ago - I was sick as a dog for at least 2 months. Uncontrollable coughing and laryngospasms -- literally you feel like your airway is closed off -- which is pretty much what happens -- the child of course - not vaccinated - parents didn't object to vaccinations they just didn't have the time.

I thought I would be in he clear having actually had Whooping cough but I found out that having it does not immunize you - you need the vaccination -- it is simple when you get a tetanus update you can ask for TDAP - Tetanus, Diptheria, and Pertussis.

15. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As a child we did not have any measles vaccines yet. I know that I had the "true measles" (rubeola) and one other type but I'm not certain if it was roseola or rubella since both had been called "3 day measles" at the time. I'm gonna mention this to the doc on my next yearly and see if I should get a preventive vaccination. I also had what the doc at the time described as a "mild" case of chicken pox as a child, and I'm probably gonna get the shingles vaccine next time as well.

16. ncfatcat

ncfatcat Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes everyone who had chicken pox as a child should get the shingles vaccine. My mom got shingles in her 70s it's like dying and going to hell and coming back to earth for the real punishment.

17. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

It's not like some other illnesses where the problem is sanitation.

Being vaccinated doesn't mean you can't get it. From the article:

If you were born before the seventies, you may need to have a booster because the vaccines given then weren't as effective. And there are ways to be tested to see if you have the antibodies. I know I've gotten at least three shots because they made all college students get a new shot during a measles outbreak here in the nineties just in case we had the less effective vaccine when we were kids.

18. mikenhe

mikenhe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you are concerned about catching something then heading to a place that has loads of people isn't very smart. Its got nothing to do with MGM - if its really that much of an issue then I suggest you just cancel your trip. I mean - just thing of all the people at the airport - or even on the plane...... never mind all those people actually in Las Vegas.

Stay at home. forever. you might just be ok.

19. elvis66

elvis66 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Their Banana Cream is almost worth it!:wink2::wink2::beer:

20. Hobofrank

Hobofrank Prime Minister of Idiocracy

Trips to Las Vegas:
    umm a few years ago, there was an outbreak of legionnaires disease at Airia, my mother spent 2 months in the hospital, maybe just stick with MGM?
    I don't think there's a vaccine for Legionaires

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.