1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Making reservations for meals or going to scavenge?

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by LV_Bound, Jun 27, 2020.

1. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Due to limited places/hours are you making reservations for any/all meals or going to scavenge?
    Heard without reservations there are long lines/waits.
    My wife has us planning and making reservations for every meal.
    Overkill or is this now the norm?

• Like Like x 3
  2. carolineno

carolineno VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I’m doing reservations for all dinners. Breakfast will be Starbucks, district donuts and the like. Maybe 2 breakfast reservations.

There doesn’t seem to be any other option for dinner but reservations. I think dinner will be enjoyable as there is built in social distancing, so less anxiety during the meal. I don’t usually do lunch in Vegas.

Entire trip at my favorite hotel!
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, first of all, I ALWAYS make reservations for Las Vegas, because there are specific restaurants that I want to eat at, so it's been no problem.

With the limited amount of restaurants available, I think that you should have reservations so you don't end up eating at Steak and Shake or McDonald's every meal.

This trip for my dinner's I'm scheduled to eat at:

Bazaar meats
    Sen of Japan
    Yellowtail

Well, Canada and Massachusetts are closed, back to Lake Tahoe
    Oh what the heck, I've got vacation and myVegas points to burn. . . .
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. MCann

MCann VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Definitely making reservations for as many meals as possible this time around. I normally only do that for the special places once or twice each trip, but as busy as the 4th was last year, and the way comps are dwindling as we get close, I'm definitely treating it like thanksgiving day and doing whatever I can to avoid lines and long waits (and McDonalds - already had that twice this year and that was twice too many!)

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
    Beau Rivage booked same day as Luxor. One will win. Leaning Biloxi.
    Vegas or Biloxi. Going somewhere for Labor Day weekend...
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  5. loonytoony

loonytoony VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes make reservations.

6. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well then it appears my wife if pretty smart. :D
    We usually like to take daily walks up/down the strip to gamble/eat, having to make reservations for each meal really curtails our freedom to roam.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Ezzy711

Ezzy711 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    She married you, right?

Hope they don't check for gambling fever....I'll be off the charts!
  8. JoJoR

JoJoR VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've been making reservations for my upcoming trip (like I always do). It's been a little tricky though. Wynn seems to have the most restaurants open. Every other hotel seems to have about half or less of their restaurants open. Lots of choices for the weekend, but I've been seeing a lot of hours/days posted as open only Thurs. - Sun. or Fri. - Mon.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. MCann

MCann VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In addition to that, I've been reading menus at places in trying to decide which places to pick and what times, and some of the places I made reservations appear to be serving abbreviated menus omitting the things I was excited to try there. I was not prepared for that

Beau Rivage booked same day as Luxor. One will win. Leaning Biloxi.
    Vegas or Biloxi. Going somewhere for Labor Day weekend...
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. joespoolhall

joespoolhall High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I won't be going for a while, but if I were, I'd probably do a fair amount of take out. I'm usually solo and do that anyway. A couple of dinners at the restaurant and I'd be good.
    I thought we'd see more emphasis on room service, even at places that don't usually offer it, but I guees not.

11. Horseplayer1

Horseplayer1 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Made reservations for breakfast and dinner, was able to walk right in to China Poblano and Holsteins at lunchtime on separate days and be seated immediately

YES! Had a great time, I'm going back!!!!
  12. mbely1000

mbely1000 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Reservations are a must. You can't roll in with a party of 8 at 7 pm on a Saturday night and expect a table when half the restaurants can't be used.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Flowers

Flowers VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If a restaurant takes reservations in Vegas, I make them 1000% of the time so I don't have to think about it. If I change my mind I can just cancel or modify the reservation.

I usually go through Open Table to earn the points and because I like getting the time reminders on my Open Table app.

But, when I was confirming my room with my Wynncore host, he STRONGLY recommended making reservations and the earlier the better. He offered to make them for me, which I never have him do as I like making my own, but for my upcoming trip, I may scrap the idea of the booking through Open Table and will rely on my host making the reservations.

Bottom line, I'd definitely make them.

Celebrating Life, Family + Friends in Our Beloved Vegas + the Great SW
    • Love Love x 1
  14. Kachow

Kachow High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Make reservations and make them before you head to Vegas if possible. It requires a little more planning ahead but theoretically you could make different reservations at different places for the same night and just make up your mind on the fly and cancel the ones you aren’t going to use.

Fountain View Terrace-Mrs Kachow Bday!
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Sisyphus

Sisyphus Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Solo diners should be able to get in easier without reservations, right, especially during the week?

16. xman30

xman30 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's what I keep thinking & wondering. I'm doing a solo trip starting Monday, July 20 (morning) & leaving late Friday. I'm in the process of planning out my trip. I'm reading that Friday & Saturday are fairly busy, but Sunday through Thursday are almost dead. I am leaning toward reserving all my meals. Breakfast or lunch & dinner.

xman30

17. Kachow

Kachow High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Certainly that would be the case, but if you think you may know where you are going to be you May want to make reservations anyways. I saw a couple turned away from Lakeside on a Sunday night and I saw people turned away from Lago on a Tuesday night. I’m sure it depends on the restaurant and the property.

18. Kachow

Kachow High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You need to remember that the restaurants and bars are only at 50% capacity max. I also think people are tending to linger longer at their meals because there isn’t as much going on and as much to do. Then you have to add in the fact that there are quite a few families visiting Vegas right now, or at least it seemed like it, particularly at Wynn and Bellagio, and you have groups of 4 or 5 family members at quite a few of these restaurants. Oh and also transportation isn’t as quick and available as normal due to way less taxis and ubers operating and many restaurants still closed or only opening on weekends and you start to get the picture. For example, I really wanted to dine at Costa di Mare while at Wynn, but they are only open Thursday through Saturday night now and I arrived on a Sunday. So what I would say is, if there are particular spots you want to eat at, just make a reservation. You can usually do it online now If you don’t want to call.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Flowers

Flowers VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Most of my trip will be solo, as is usually the case, but my host still strongly recommended reservations, actually multiple times. I don't mind as I like the planning aspect of it anyway. :)

Celebrating Life, Family + Friends in Our Beloved Vegas + the Great SW
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. JulianC

JulianC Amateur

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For my trip in late August that I hope will still be a thing, I plan to leverage a host from at least one resort for dining accommodations specifically because I am less familiar with the dining options there and I know that solo dining will be even more difficult by then. At two other resort hotels, I already have dinner reservations via OpenTable -- and they are "for one" reservations. At one place downtown that is notorious for not treating solo diners as well (unless they are very high rollers or celebrities), I am going to need to make a reservation for two and disappoint the restaurant when I show up as one. I would just dine at the bar there, but that might not return to us as a thing again by six weeks from now.

(This might be better in the other thread.) As it is, restaurants have two great reasons to not want anything to do with solo diners like me -- a massive lack of revenue, followed by solo diners having a per-diner value (to the establishment) of less than that of each person in a party of 2-5 people. Couples, pairs of couples, and groups tend to order more shareables like appetizers, the huge "for two" entrees (e.g. the huge tomahawk ribeye), the tasting menu for the whole table, bottles of wine, and elaborate desserts.

I am planning to leave much less to chance and serendipity. I am even open to making use of in-room dining where available for a change.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
    • Like Like x 2