1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Madras, Oregon in August

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Mikey07, Mar 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mikey07

Mikey07 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We're doing a 4 day trip to Madras in August in an RV for the solar eclipse. Anyone know if we'll be pestered by biting insects?

2. ken2v

ken2v Wear a mask

America's most valuable agricultural expanse
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    Central Oregon is a high desert. You'll get some skeeters by the reservoirs but it ain't Minnesota. I'm there most summers playing golf and cycling, and have never had a problem.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mikey07

Mikey07 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice one, thanks.

4. bluesdude

bluesdude VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OP, I know this wasn't part of your question, but you wont be far from Bend. It is worth the drive to visit and hit some of the microbrews in town. Deschutes Brewery is the most prominent however there are some others (at least a dozen more) to check out. That is if you are into microbrews...

Maybe not this year. Looking forward to 2021!
  5. ken2v

ken2v Wear a mask

Trips to Las Vegas:
    More than two dozen in and around Bend now. (I'm just writing up a travel piece about Bend.) Mikey, I know you are there for the eclipse but do yourself a favor and get out and about. Smith Rocks. Bend -- for the beer, the vibe, the river and a rapidly exploding food scene. High Desert Museum. The high lakes.There's a great speakeasy/bistro/bar in Redmond called Red Martini. If you play golf, it's heavenly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. ken2v

ken2v Wear a mask

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't know why, but I just love this shot of the Deschutes (and Little Deschutes confluence) with Paulina Peak and Newberry Crater in the background. Sunriver (16th tee of Crosswater to be exact), last September.

IMG_1540.JPG

7. ken2v

ken2v Wear a mask

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And here's a shot from the peak into the caldera, with one of the two lakes (Paulina):

IMG_1526.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  8. Kjell28

Kjell28 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yup Deschutes tour is great...make a stop @ Worthy Brewing and Silver Moon or Cascade Lakes are good too. 10 Barrel was my favorite, but I dont support sellouts so wont be back there. Crux was ok, some of their beers are way out there.
    As for Madras, cant recommend anything in those parts, went to the speedway a few times and thats it.

9. ken2v

ken2v Wear a mask

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was talking to some local brewers, and many would like to "sellout" like 10 Barrel. lol Actually, several felt 10 has tighter tolerances now and less variability from batch to batch. But I do get that sentiment.

Whereabouts you hail from in Eugene, generally? I spent many a good year there. Get back from time to time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.