1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Love Bug Season

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by flyguyfl, May 9, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flyguyfl

flyguyfl MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Washington state has it's Murder Hornets but we are undergoing the semi-annual scourge of Love Bugs. You have to clean them off your car soon after squashing them or risk paint damage. They can copulate for a couple of days while on surfaces or flying. Hence the name. They are swarming in the millions right now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lovebug

2. Mudhen

Mudhen Always in Dutch

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A true Florida thing. Drive from Pensacola to Miami this time of year, and your car is a mess.I don't miss them at all.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  3. ronc

ronc VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We have them here is SE Texas. They don’t seem as thick as I remember growing up in Florida...but it who knows if that is reality or more like the three mile walk in snow, uphill both ways to and from school...

They don’t do well in smoke. There was a swath of dead ones under where the smoke was from my smoker was last week.

4. deansrobinson

deansrobinson VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Those rat bastards are out in full force today. Hiking parallel to I-75 we ran into a mega swarm.

5. wormhole

wormhole VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Years ago when I worked for a defense contractor, I drove an Air Force motor pool pickup truck to Eglin AFB in September of that year on a business trip. Love bugs were out in force and made a mess of the front of that truck. I can just imagine the motor pools guys at my home base having a hissy fit over cleaning that truck.

6. NewOrleansSlimm

NewOrleansSlimm VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    really quite easy to clean...I spray them with the hose, then spray degreaser on them. they melt off, whatever doesnt come off, a pass of a carwash brush and the rest come right off...hose the degreaser completely off and you are good to go

7. Gino

Gino "The King of Inappropriate."

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Drove across the state Saturday - two car washes later, the bastards are still caked on the windshield.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. KellyLovesVegas

KellyLovesVegas Earthling/retired space nerd

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's one thing about living in Houston I do not miss! Those love bugs were so yuck - especially if you make the mistake of running with your mouth open :yuck:

Maui Invitational in Las Vegas!
    Annual NYE trip!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.