1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Looking to upgrade from Basil Hayden

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by 93 Octane, Dec 4, 2019.

1. LoveDowntownVegas

LoveDowntownVegas High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    what a great thread. I love my bourbon, and enjoy seeing some bourbons listed that I've never tried.

for your budget, Blantons would be my #1 pick if you can find it.
    Barrell Bourbon was gifted to me last month and I've acquired a taste for it. It's on the pricey side too.
    Buffalo Trace is my goto when I can find it. It's hard to beat at the $25 price point.
    Eagle Rare is another favorite, but can be hard to find in Texas.
    IW Harper 15 is another goto, but typically only when it's gifted, as it's a bit pricey as well.

My default 'big batch' used to be Basil, but in recent months I've shifted to Woodford..

• Like Like x 1
  2. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Here is an example The Yamazaki Single Malt Whiskey 12 Year 86 Proof, at the PA State Store, this is $100 and at Total Wine in Claymont Delaware, it is $130. Some products require a special order, but you can check stock online, and call the store to confirm.

3. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We're having some people over for a bonfire tomorrow and I'm trying to figure out which is the cheapest bourbon we have in the house, in case people want it (or rum) with their cider or eggnog. I don't have any bulleit, and the woodford I have is the barrel aged reserve, so not the basic. Might still be the cheapest but I just can't recall. Grr. Hoping husband remembers ;-)

4. Aces and Eights

Aces and Eights VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not including those out of my price range, I like all the “B” bourbons. Blanton’s, Basil Hayden, Booker’s, Baker’s, Bulleit. I also like Yamasaki, Hibiki, and Pappy’s.

5. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Evan Williams, or as a friend calls it "Heaving Williams" since that's what they drank in college. Goes great with Natty Light.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Rodent Pack

Rodent Pack S.S. Minnow

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Around the $40. range I'm impressed with E.H.Taylor, Jr. Small Batch B-I-B. Nice balance and flavors. :drunk:

7. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The problem isn't that cheap bourbons exist. It's that I don't have any in my house ;-)

We decided the Woodford is the pick for tomorrow - it might not be the cheapest, but it's the most readily available around here. Most of the other stuff we have on hand we've bought in other places.

We need more bulleit rye for my Manhattans.... ;-)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Jackpot Johnny

Jackpot Johnny Wynn Fan

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Another Woodford fan here. Occasionally a Knob Creek Small Batch. I drink a lot more red wine now, and less whiskey. The only liquors we have at home are Woodford, Knob Creek, Tanqueray gin, Patron, Cuervo Gold and Absolut. The bottles last forever.

9. DDB

DDB Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    To me BH was on the lighter side, and if that is what you prefer, some bourbons mentioned here might be too heavy (Knob Creek).

I drink whiskey most every night and greatly prefer Tennessee whiskey compared to bourbon, with my favorite being Jack Daniels Single Barrel. But, by my standards it is pricey, so I usually just stick to good old JD black over a few ice cubes.

Sometimes I try something new, but usually just wind up disappointed and lighter in the wallet.

10. ardee

ardee It's only money.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My Top 5 "Manhattan" ryes are Pikesville, Knob Creek, Sazerac,, Wild Turkey and of all things Crown Royal Northern Harvest rye. A "Bourbon Manhattan" shouldn't be tolerated! Unless there's nothing better around. In which case I'll have a double. :beer:

• Love Love x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We're using the Michters rye for manhattans right now and it's lovely. We're pretty close to the bottom of a bunch of bourbons right now (no clue how that happened as they've been purchased over time) so I need to get out and shop more! We usually buy at least one bottle when we visit my sister in WI but we didn't this year. Oops! We're going to FL for work in early Feb so I'll have to see if they have anything nice in their liquor stores....

12. AyDee

AyDee is getting too old for this

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'll second Blantons, and also agree with Michters, Woodford Reserve, High West, Bulleit
    with some of these you could maybe get two different bottles for a little over $100.
    Still hunting for a taste of Pappys.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
  13. Grant1982

Grant1982 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yellowstone Vintage

Elijah Craig Barrel Proof

Jeffersons Ocean

Bulleit 10 year old

Bulleit 12 year Rye

Now let's get a little more allocated...

George Dickel Bond

Old Fitzgeralds Decanter

Michters (other than rye)

Old Ezra Barrel Strength 7 year

Kentucky Owl

For more budget friendly

Evan William's Bond

Elijah Craig Small Batch

Bulleit

Wheated Bourbons....

Larceny

Bernheim

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  14. ardee

ardee It's only money.

Trips to Las Vegas:

Don't bother unless someone else is paying. You can get 95% of Pappy at 20% the price by drinking Weller Antique if you can ever find any. Same barrels, just mixed a little differently. But be wary - Antique is bottled at 107.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. JesseJames87

JesseJames87 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Lagavulin is a high end scotch. I think it’s $75 a bottle in Canada. Both my dad and Ron Swanson’s favourite.

Japanese whiskies (can’t be called scotch because they’re not from Scotland) are also getting really good. A google search can tell you the good ones, I’m sorry I don’t have any names to give.

16. spdandpwr

spdandpwr VIP Whale

Yeah, OP doesn't like scotch...otherwise, I'm with you. I'm a big fan of Lagavulin, Talisker, and Oban.

17. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We visited with friends last night and my husband got got to try Garrison Brothers - he really liked it. My son the whiskey snob can’t stand it and says it tastes like mule urine. The hubster said it was very good. Different likes for different tastes.

Caesars Palace My 59th Birthday - but who's counting?
    • Like Like x 1
  18. JesseJames87

JesseJames87 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:

Sorry OP! Didn’t see that you’re not into Scotch. Honestly, I’m a beer guy, but I know from people who like scotch that these, including spd’s list, are good ones. Good luck!

• Like Like x 1
  19. 93 Octane

93 Octane Chief bottle washer

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OP here. I'm a beer guy to but dammit I want the apopaclytic hangovers associated with hard liquor!

Said I wasnt going back this year but you know how that goes
    • Like Like x 1
  20. 93 Octane

93 Octane Chief bottle washer

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Heading to the local for college playoffs and picked up a few Elijah 1789 small batch mini's to nip on.

Said I wasnt going back this year but you know how that goes