1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Looking For A Place To Retire?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by VegasGroove, Mar 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VegasGroove

VegasGroove VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  2. Camp Rusty

Camp Rusty VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I saw this.........no idea from a business concept but the idea seems like great fun. I think it would at the very least create a sense of community based around a light and lively lifestyle.

Parrotheads are a load of fun......I have never been in lot scene like the ones I have witnessed at Buffet shows......happy drunks in Hawaiian shirts as far as the eye can see.

Block parties would be wild !

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. ken2v

ken2v 200,000 and counting

America's most valuable agricultural expanse
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    I saw some info on that a month or so ago. Why not? Boomers, and particularly those on the "younger" end of the timeline, are NOT retiring like their parents did. The demographic is just not flocking to the Sun Cities of the world and what not like the war/post-war generation. The Gray Ghetto model is struggling. But Boomers do like their Buffett!

I'm of that age now, and I just never see us going down that path, and my wife agrees. My grandparents and inlaws did the "active adult" retirement community thing. We need more diversity. I know we won't be here forever but we love our town and our hood and our slice of the world, and our "peer" set runs from their 30s with young kids into the 80s. We love the socioeconomic, age, lifestyle, cultural and ethnic diversity.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow,thats a lot of homes. I'm in an over 55 with 1400.homes. Hope it works out.

5. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    First priority is to pick a state with no state income tax. Then go from there.
    Or get a parrot head that fits and go.

It can’t be a rodeo without the bull
    This here table isn’t a 5$ table; Pilgrim ~~
  6. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's Neighborhood Watch would have one objective: Searchin' for my lost shaker of salt...:D

RICHARD

7. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love the idea. Not much for jimmy buffet at all but do appreciate that he is not trying to act younger then he is like so many do. Think kenny rogers hideous new face.

Leaning into his bread and butter which I think is great.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The Gambler:

And the night got deathly quiet
    And his face lost all expression
    He said, "If you're gonna play the game, boy
    You gotta learn to play it right...

RICHARD

9. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Parrotheads are crazy and you never know who might be one. They had a gang at work who would go see him whenever he appeared in the D.C. - Baltimore area. They would gather in the parking lot and ride a bus up. At least they had designated drivers. Anyhow, this one time I'm going home and I see them all gathered and I see our highest ranking guy, a Senior Executive Service, making well into the mid 6 figures, wearing a hula skirt and Hawaiian shirt and real lei, drinking his whatever out of half a pineapple and I just had to laugh.

10. wormhole

wormhole VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was offered comped Buffet tickets for his annual Vegas show a couple of times but was never able to schedule a trip around the offers. I like his music, but I am not a true parrot head. I would never do the dress up.

11. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My affinity with Buffett kinda ground to a halt when the caricature of Jimmy Buffett overtook the character of Jimmy Buffett.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Camp Rusty

Camp Rusty VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have to agree with is wholeheartedly. The saving grace for me is he really doesn't deny it and fully admits he never could really sing and is surprised at his following. He did well after his start as a busker on the Gulf Coast.

Still I give the guy a ton of credit for his accomplishments. I have satellite radio and often switch to his channel for some fun sunny day music on a gloomy northwest day. The channel plays concerts all the time and he really can't sing so much now, he more talks his songs now, but it's still entertaining.

His lyrics to me are both compelling and fanciful, A Pirate Looks At Forty, Son Of A Son Of A Sailor, and Come Monday really make me think. Then the party songs like Boat Drinks, Volcano, and of course Margaritaville are classic sunny day drinking songs.

Not sure I would go to another one of his concerts though, as fun as they are to people watch the concerts are more of a giant karaoke show with the extremely drunk ( but happy) crowd sing along almost eclipsing what is happening on stage. I haven't been to a show in at least ten years. Was lucky enough to see him solo acoustic in the mid 80's, which was as much a show as a story telling showcase, the man can spin a tale.

I would like to see him write another book, I think he is a pretty decent writer and have really enjoyed his books. A Pirate Looks At Fifty is a great autobiography, Tales From Margaritaville is a fun read of short stories, and A Salty Piece Of Land is a fantastic adventure for a summer read, as is Where Is Joe Merchant.

......hmmmmm.....guess I am more of a fan than I thought.......

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  13. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm a huge fan, up to a certain count in the album tally. As for his larger achievements ... more power to him!

14. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What makes me reluctant to attend another Buffett show are two things: one, nowadays his voice isn't very good some nights. Not such a big deal with his voice, but it still matters. Two, the sound quality of the show varies from venue to venue, with Vegas being the best of the three we have attended and our own Blossom being the worst. As to dressing up or not, it isn't that hard to find some stuff that looks parrotish in your own wardrobe, and if you don't you will be decidedly in the minority. Nobody will care, though. I bought a fake grass skirt for a quarter at a yard sale and wore that to a couple shows. It was fun. Sold it at my own yard sale and got my quarter back. I may be the only guy in greater Cleveland who got a quarterback.

Pa-dum-DUM.

To the original question: Margaritaville senior living is not for me. Remember, if you go there, protect yourself. STD's are rampant in Floridian retirement communities.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    About the only good thing Wisconsin does right regarding taxes is that Social Security is not taxed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.