1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Live TR. Pics o'plenty!!! GN & TI 7/12-7/20

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by MikeOPensacola, Jul 10, 2017.

1. MikeOPensacola

MikeOPensacola VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Christmas at Cosmo!!!
    • Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  2. MikeOPensacola

MikeOPensacola VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It was great hanging out with you Drew at the slot pull. I read your TR and it looks like you had a great time with the family and Terry Fator. Hope to see you again sometime out there!!!

:peace: :beer:

Christmas at Cosmo!!!
  3. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good stuff, Mike. Glad you had a fun trip. Thanks for taking us along and for all the great pics! :beer: I also appreciated the post trip wrap up.

• Like Like x 1
  4. MikeOPensacola

MikeOPensacola VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've got one more pic to post but I can't do it until tomorrow. During my stay I visited Bauman Rare Books at the Canal Shoppes @ V/P and picked up a couple of items. Definitely not the kind of degeneracy that usually goes into a TR but I got something that, to me at least, is about the coolest thing I've ever treated myself to. It gets delivered tomorrow (hopefully) so I'll be sure to post a few pics and tell everyone here a little bit about it. Peter O'Toole fans and those who think "Lawrence of Arabia" is one of the all time great movies will enjoy it. I promise.

Christmas at Cosmo!!!
  5. emmas

emmas Low-Roller

Thank you for a fantastic trip report. Can't wait to see your new acquisition. I do think Lawrence of Arabia is a great movie.

• Like Like x 1
  6. amk121

amk121 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great trip report, thanks for doing it!

Change of plans...
    • Like Like x 1
  7. The Rumor

The Rumor High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm glad someone else knows of this shop! That place is amazing. You don't even have to have an interest in buying the books...what they have in the windows is worth a look on its own if you're in the Palazzo.

I always wander by there after having Grimaldi's.

You're from the South, right? If you ever get a chance in Charleston, Blue Bicycle Books has some interesting stuff, too. Not quite as high end as Bauman, but I found it a neat little story.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Awesome TR. :beer:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great point, and something I neglected to mention right before the pull or in the thread about the pull. I had seen reports about group pulls not getting drink service at other places because, after all, you're only talking about $200 per person. $4,200 for the entire group, a single person in HL could run through that in 30 mins. And only a single person is playing at a time.

So I wasn't sure whether people should expect drink service, but forgot to mention that. But from what I saw, they were very good, came in and took orders from anybody who wanted a drink, and obviously most of us were just standing around at any given time, not actively playing. So kudos to them for that.

10. kkinwi

kkinwi Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nicely done! Enjoyed all of your report (tho I did it in pieces, lol). Great that you did so well with your bankroll!

• Like Like x 1
  11. MikeOPensacola

MikeOPensacola VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bauman.JPG

During my recent trip to LV I was walking through the Canal Shoppes at V/P and I made my way into Bauman Rare Books, a usual stop for me. I'm a big history buff and one of my favorite subjects is T.E. Lawrence, a.k.a. Lawrence of Arabia. I asked the lady at the counter if they had any original manuscripts, drawings, notes, journals etc. of Lawrence's time in Egypt or Arabia. She told me they didn't but that they had something I might like. She showed me several books that Peter O'Toole used as research material for preparation of his tour de force role in "Lawrence of Arabia". I must say that, for me this is the find of a lifetime. As I mentioned TE Lawrence is one of my favorite historical figures. Peter O'Toole is probably my favorite actor of all time and "Lawrence of Arabia" is without question my favorite movie of all time. A perfect storm of cool!!!

Peter O'Toole Initialed Book.jpg Green Book Authentication.jpg Peter O'Toole initials.jpg

If you look in the upper right hand corner of the book you can actually see Peter O'Toole's signature. This book and the one below came from his personal library via his estate.

IMG_2321.jpg IMG_2324.jpg IMG_2325.jpg

I'm so glad I found these. This little purchase completely wiped out my winnings from the trip but I don't mind a bit.......

Attached Files:

Christmas at Cosmo!!!
    • Like Like x 5
    • Love Love x 4
  12. Hardwaze

Hardwaze Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    An excellent find indeed ! One of the things I started doing long ago is to turn "gambling winnings" into something "more tangible"; whether that be an item i.e. a new computer...or maybe pay for my hockey season tickets or annual golf membership; just something that I can "use". I'm happy for you that you were able to turn your recent Las Vegas winnings into some items that you will enjoy for years to come...Congrats !

• Like Like x 2
  13. BobLasVegas

BobLasVegas Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    great report! Congrats on your wins! Nice pics!

• Like Like x 1
  14. mrjvegas

mrjvegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    cool finds mike!!!

40th Birthday Party at Da Cosmo!!
    • Like Like x 1
  15. ardee

ardee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Too cool! The wife has already been warned that when we double up on hand pays (someday!) mine is going to be spent at Bauman's. I always stop in and get their monthly catalog when I'm at that end of the Strip (which is often!)

Anniversary Trip. Lucky 13.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. MikeOPensacola

MikeOPensacola VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, I'll definitely keep going back. The staff there are terrific. A lady named Pamela helped me out, made the suggestion for the books, walked me through all the provenance and authentication and provided great customer service. I usually get something nice for myself at the beginning of a trip with a separate chunk of $$$$ set aside from my BR. That way, if my gambling goes sideways I'll still have something nice to take home.

Christmas at Cosmo!!!
  17. pd54

pd54 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great TR Mike. I've not been to Vegas now in 2 years, and haven't even been on the message board in a while either.
    Definitely made me jealous. I need to start pricing flights from Ireland now..!

• Like Like x 2
  18. the nuts

the nuts VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Excellent! Thanks for taking us along!:clap:

• Like Like x 1
  19. zoey11

zoey11 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great trip report!!!
    I'd love to meet up with VMBers, but always seem to plan a trip when few are there.
    Glad you had fun on the Willa Wonkas, I liked them too on my last trip!

• Like Like x 1
  20. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Books are for nerds! :nono:

(Yeah, I'm a little jealous!)

• Like Like x 1