1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Limit options

Discussion in 'The Poker Room' started by danny8235, Feb 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BTrain929

BTrain929 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Obviously I'd love to win some cash, but if I can break even after 3-5 hours of 2-4 limit and get a ton of free drinks in the process = #winning

2. tezzburge

tezzburge Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    +1

Couldn't agree more with this. I am going to Vegas in 2 weeks and I've decided on this trip Limit will be my main game. I'm just getting tired of the swings in NL (maybe I'm getting old?), and really want to enjoy my time at the table. I'll most likely play a 2/4 game somewhere, or maybe 3/6 at the Flamingo.

I'll definitely play in some NL donkaments also. But will avoid NL cash games.

3. Dewey089

Dewey089 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The social advantages of limit in Vegas are huge. People talk about more things than "outs" and folks are from all around the world. I have been in some of the most amazing discussions.
    The rake is really hard to beat in 2-4 however. I find paying attention to table selection is key. I especially like to move to a just opened table. Most places will let me do that.
    The odds of getting more of a mix of people are better.
    I also like playing 3-6 when I can find it. If I had a car I'd try the 3-6-9 I game I see advertised at Green Valley Ranch. Palace Station had a 2-4-6 game and I liked that too.
    In Florida and Mohegan Sun I've been playing a 1-1 NL with buy ins of $20 to $60. It often has some of the aspects of limit, especially moving the game to a flop game with few people raising preflop. And it eliminates some of the bluffing because the stakes are low. At times this game is spread in places in Vegas. Perhaps someone knows where now.
    The hardest part about drinking and playing NL is losing the edge on people reading. Limit is easy to play drunk. I generally do better because my own table image screams "on tilt" and I'll get paid. But in NL there is just too much work to socialize and drink.
    And if we give up drinking, we lose a huge part of the EV of poker.
    Another way to overcome rake is to play those 2-6 spread limit games at Monte Carlo, Excalibur, Laughlin, Palace Station, Sam's Town. However, you will find some very good players at these, local rocks. I avoid the really good promotions at Monte Carlo and play late night when it is mostly tourists.
    One way to make it cheap poker with booze and pretty women is to play the automated game at the Plaza. I played tournaments there where the total buy in was $15 or less. Across the open floor in came a three piece jazz group and they served drinks. My son and I sat and played and joked and drank for two and a half hours. We did not end up in the money, but we could fill our trip with poker and have it cost less than it would to drink at the bar, with entertainment.
    I also play the Sam's Town tournaments. http://www.samstownlv.com/play/poker-room unless there are unlimited buy-ins. The 10 AM tournament starts with an hour of limit poker and then goes to NL. I won money twice there.
    Finally, for 2-4 I like the Golden Nugget after 2 AM. If I'm staying downtown I will often go to bed at 5PM and wake up to play the tired and the drunk. There is no bad beat, but the high hand awards are progressive and the house doubles them from 2 AM until 2 PM. A quad might bring $600. The morning is too often local rocks, I like to get out for my breakfast buffet before they show. (4 hours of play gets a $10 voucher which almost pays the buffet on weekdays) But late at night after a refreshing sleep, it is a grand game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.