1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Leaving the maid a tip

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by Miller12pack, Jan 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I carry a small bag for loose change, one of those small zippered things they give you at the Clinique counter when you spend a certain amount. I throw it in the front pocket of my check-in bag. I keep it all in a jar at home and when it's full it goes to the bank. Usually it's about $100.

2. bribhoy

bribhoy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We tip $5 per day, folded inside a note and left UNDER the pillow. I always think that then only housekeeping is going to see it, and not the guy who comes to check if we've had any ridiculously overpriced goods from the minibar.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    $5 a day left with a note on the nightstand. Sometimes in Spanish.

• Like Like x 1
  4. smerrian

smerrian View from Bally's

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had a patient that was a housekeeper at Tropicana-AC. He said (and I quote), "Most people don't tip anything. Really, there's no need to. We get paid well." On top of that I know they get good medical and dental benefits as I was his dentist. That being said, I do leave $5 if my stay is 3 days or more.

Hope it's not too cold!
    Farewell to CET
    • Like Like x 1
  5. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That is very true, most people do not tip, it is an option, no one should feel compelled to tip housekeeping.

6. Multifarious5

Multifarious5 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This really, REALLY surprised me too. I used to leave $3 a day, now $5, and with just $5, if I don't leave a note, they often don't touch it. (So I always leave a note now.)

P.S. as a teenager I cleaned rooms. I was leery to take ANY money unless expressly laid out as a tip. $75 in chips? Even though, in Vegas, people can be as generous as they can be chintzy, it's a gutsy housekeeper that would take the risk on this big of an amount, as the odds are it is NOT a tip, but that's just my two cents.

Bottomline, used to do $3 a day with daily service (our rooms are an easy clean as we keep it very neat, pool dirty towels in one area, etc.). Now, I get service every other day and tip $5 each time (sometimes more if a nicer/bigger room), as you never know if your "regular" has the day off.

(PS Chuck, two days ago I was trying to give you an "agree" on your "$4 in Aria chips" post, but accidentally hit "disagree". FYI I immediately corrected it. Since we get notifications, I just didn't want you thinking I gave you a thumbs down, I corrected it immediately!!! :D)

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  7. vegasdev

vegasdev VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I usually leave a tip on the last day. if I call them for something such as more soap or towels, I tip them on the spot as well. this sometimes happens because I sleep late with the DND sign on the door. I am usually solo in vegas, and probably one the easiest to clean up after.

8. vegasdev

vegasdev VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    they should NOT have taken those unless it was your checkout day.

9. NJS24

NJS24 Voice of Reason

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sure. You ever get that late morning knock on the door with a lower that usual female voice shout out "Maid!"

Just doesn't have the same ring to it...

10. ExVegasLocal

ExVegasLocal Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    $5 each day left on the pillow, regardless of the cost/class of the hotel or the city I'm in.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Jaci2014

Jaci2014 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    $5.00 every day left in an envelope with "Housekeeping" written on outside of envelope.

• Like Like x 1
  12. tex55

tex55 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    From this thread, I have learned that I have been under-tipping housekeeping! I tip $2/day, leaving it in the envelope each morning. Need to step up my game!

13. queuetee

queuetee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh yeah....the housekeeping thread rears its head every couple of months. RIP until at least March????

14. rgrif57

rgrif57 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We used the envelope with $5/day as stated the housekeeper that day gets the tip so hopefully the glasses we get will be cleaned and not just toweled out, though we hardly ever use hotel glass glasses................Rick

15. jr7110

jr7110 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That is a very nice gesture - however the housekeeper might not be able to keep it. When I stay at Vdara I often get the same housekeeper, as I have a particular suite I like, and when I have left I have tried to give her unused food items (butter, unopened juice, eggs) and she told me they would get fired if they tried to take it off the premises. A large coffeemaker would be harder to smuggle out than food items lol.

16. shokhead

shokhead No big spender unless eating drinking having fun!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Other optional tipping situations common to travelers include: Hotel housekeeping/maid service: $2-3 per night up to $5, more in high-end hotels. Also more if there are more than 3 people in a room or suite. Leave the tip on your pillow or in a similar obvious place with a note that says thank you. tripadvisor

17. imheids

imheids Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    On a solo trip, I had forgotten to leave the tip for housekeeping. I just happened to return to my room late morning, and noted that my room just sparkled! My shoes were lined up, my nightclothes folded at the foot of the bed, my bathroom paraphernalia tidied. It just seemed that on this particular day, Housekeeping went above and beyond. I wanted to be sure that Housekeeper got the tip. I found her down the hall as I left and personally handed her $10. She asked what room I was in and then tried to NOT take the tip. She had very broken English, but I did get her to accept it. She just beamed! Her smile was all I needed to know that I made someone smile and feel appreciated. I try to do that from now on. If I can personally hand over the tip, the feeling I get is priceless.

• Like Like x 4
  18. martinr

martinr Rock Chalk Jayhawk

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I remember a TR by Packer where he had left a 100.00 tip for housekeeping. Now, that's GOT to get attention down in the housekeeping department.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Candy Apple

Candy Apple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We don't leave the room in shambles and feel $2.00 a day is adequate.

20. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We asked housekeeping for a coffee maker in Rio. They said we had to call for one. We called and were told the Rio did away with coffee makers. We pressed a little and said housekeeping said we could get one if we called. Obviously, housekeeping knows there are coffee makers around. The person on the phone said the coffee makers were only for Diamond people. We left a $5 tip and asked our house keeper in hallway that maybe there was something she could do for us to get us a coffee maker. wink wink. She said she'd try. When we came back to the room, the $5 was gone but there was no coffee maker.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.