1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Las Vegas Walk of Stars

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by srudude87, Feb 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. srudude87

srudude87 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I noticed a few years ago former MLB pitcher Esteban Loaiza had a star on the Las Vegas Walk of Stars. I always figured maybe he grew up there or something. He was arrested this weekend for having over 40 kilos of heroin and cocaine. So I looked it up to see what he did to get a star and haven't really found anything. He married the popular Mexican American singer Jenni Rivera in 2010. I guess they were considered a Mexican power couple and a few months later they each got a star. She died in a plane crash a year later as they were divorcing. I looked up on both of their wiki pages and neither had any real connection to Vegas. She basically got one by fan voting. How did he get a star? People like Mayweather, Agassi, Jenna Jameson, Dana White, Tarkanian, Wynn (it would be dug up anyway), and any Fertitta don't even have a star. Big Elvis is the only one the past 3 years to get one.

2. andyg99

andyg99 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    when I heard the story about Loaiza I immediately thought the same thing - ie, he must have been born or grew up in Vegas... couldn't find the connection either. I must have walked past his star dozens of times, as a Yankee fan it was cool to see a former player (even though it was only one season) on their walk of stars, I imagine it may disappear now

Vegas Trip #35!!!
  3. srudude87

srudude87 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I emailed Kats from the Review Journal and he replied back saying it sounded very interesting and will look into it. Keep an eye on a column, inspired by me lol.

• Like Like x 1
  4. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Uh, stupid question here? Where is the LVWOS? Did I miss something?

5. TrewBrew

TrewBrew High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    He appears to be the insignificant other to the star. But I guess that is good enough at this time. I looked at the list and it seemed to be missing quite a few people but maybe you have to give permission to let them give you one. Interesting though. I will look next time.
    Only thing in the cement of Nevada I ever saw (other than a pair of Gucci's soles sticking out) were some kind of jazz / music recognition between Cromwell and the Westin where bourbon street or somethings like it once was. Wayyy back in the day. Might still be there. Remember dizzy Gillespie and bennie Goodman. But unlike baseball pitchers, Diz and Ben didn't include their wives in the tribute.

Diamond match; token 2 nighter; fabulous dinner & a M&G }{
    Pilgrimage beyond seeds which may flower
  7. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks. I guess I've seen it without knowing it then. :)

9. Johnzimbo

Johnzimbo VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    His star should now have a "crack" in it.

Big Game weekend again
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. waverunner

waverunner ------VEGA$------

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Can't believe Shecky Greene, Lance Burton, Red Foxx, Melinda, are not on the Walk of Fame. These people lived and worked in Vegas for many years.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I probably walked right past these a hundred times and never noticed them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's pretty easy to walk right over them. They are just a concrete square, but a different color (red-ish IIRC) with a star on them. They aren't that close together for you to notice that something is going on, and lots of other things to look at so you might miss them.

I think originally they had said that there would be thousands of these stars all along a 4 mile stretch of LVB, but it looks to me like they just have a handful of them at this point. And it's been at least a decade since they started this project. I always intended to look and see what the requirements are to get a star. I assume it's like the Hollywood one where you have to get a sponsor and pay for the costs. Since it never caught on as a draw, I'm not sure there's much interest in investing in getting one for yourself.

13. shokhead

shokhead I'm no big spender!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bollard Installation Along Las Vegas Strip Decimates Las Vegas Walk of Stars
    The Las Vegas Walk of Stars has always been an awkward rip-off of the Hollywood Walk of Fame, but it’s our awkward rip-off of the Hollywood Walk of Fame!

The recent installation of safety bollards along Las Vegas Boulevard has resulted in the destruction of 49 stars honoring Las Vegas entertainers and other dignitaries.

AREOSMITH
  14. tmoney25

tmoney25 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How do they get a star?

There is criteria listed on the website: http://lasvegaswalkofstars.com/

Here is the criteria:
    The Las Vegas Walk of Stars® committee has adopted the following star dedication criteria. This criteria will serve as a guideline to honor deserving personalities by placing a Star onto the sidewalks of Las Vegas, Clark County.

Place: Las Vegas Blvd. from Sahara Ave. to Russell Ave.

Honorees must have worked or lived in the Greater County of Clark, for periods of considerable regularity. Honorees must have, by their presence in this area, contributed to the charm, worldwide prominence and name recognition of Las Vegas, Clark County.

The following persons will be considered candidates:

Show business persons who have distinguished themselves as actors, producers, directors, playwrights, cinematographers, musicians, either on State, Radio, Film, and/or Television, as well as persons who have otherwise become prominent in the field of Entertainment, and have greatly contributed to the worldwide prominence of Las Vegas.

Literary: Authors, playwrights, screen writers. Persons who penned literary works of considerable distinction and have achieved national and international recognition in the field of entertainment. Special merits are given to literary works produced into films or television specials.

Pioneers and Civic: A Meritorious Star may be awarded to local persons prominently and historically linked to the development of Las Vegas, Clark County, i.e., early settlers, civic personalities with significant historical achievement who have distinguished themselves in the service to the community.

Humanitarians: A Meritorious Star may be awarded to persons who have greatly distinguished themselves in the service to their fellow man by enduring and selfless contributions to charitable causes and by their altruistic deeds achieved exulted recognition within the community.

Sports: Athletes and coaches who have excelled in their respective field of sports and have greatly contributed to the worldwide prominence of Greater Las Vegas.

Military: Congressional Medal awardees, only.

The Las Vegas International Film Festival's Annual Special Honoree.

The inscriptions on the stars are relevant to the honoree's field of achievement:
    Show business: Stage/Radio/Film/Television
    Literary: Author, Playwright, Composer
    Pioneers/Civic: Mayor, civic personality, community leader, etc.
    Humanitarians: See above
    Sports: Athletes, coaches, etc.
    Military: Congressional Medal awardees only.

Every effort will be made to link a Pioneer's star with a historically related location as well as all other stars to be placed at a mutually agreeable location. However, all decisions to the eligibility of a candidate, the placement of a star, and the inscription on the star, rest with the committee and are final.

A donation of $20,000 is required for each star. Check should be made payable to Las Vegas Walk of Stars, (Tax ID #71-0946230), reported as such to the IRS, and is not refundable. A $10,000 deposit is due at confirmation date, the remaining balance of $10,000, is due 30 days prior to star dedication day. This cost includes all expenses related to the shipping, manufacturing and imbedding of the Star, various proclamations, a Walk of Stars Plaque, the sound needed for the dedication ceremony, flowers for lady honorees, publicity, press releases, radio/TV interviews, liability insurance and applicable fees.

Any expenses exceeding the above mentioned items, such as "special pomp and circumstances," i.e., bands, celebrity MC, chairs, street closures, special security, cocktail reception, etc., shall be borne by the sponsoring entity. Las Vegas Walk of Stars committee, will, however, assist in arranging and handling of these special particulars, if so requested. Sponsoring entity shall be the stars themselves, family, friends or corporate sponsors such as hotels. Any "special pomp and circumstance" plans are subject to Committee approval.

It is required by law, that the 'Star' sponsoring entity sign a "Waiver of Contributor" form prior to a star dedication.

Las Vegas Walk of Stars, a d/b/a of the Motion Picture Hall of Fame Foundation, a non-profit public benefit corporation an equal opportunity organization, is non-discriminating in its evaluation and confirmation of star candidates. Race, creed, religion or ethnic heritage of a candidate are absolute non-factors. Candidates are solely selected on achievements, within their endeavors and contributions to the community.

All business aspects of Las Vegas Walk of Stars®, are administered by the Board of Directors, and in matters relating to Las Vegas Walk of Stars® , are final.

Please speak with your local area representative for dedication pricing information:

Las Vegas, Nevada: Robert Alexander - (702) 655-STAR (7827)
    Las Vegas, Nevada: Pablo Castro Zavala - (702) 813-8345

To submit a nomination for review, please print and sign:
    Dedication Criteria
    Application
    Waiver of Donor

and return to:

P.O. Box 15129,
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    89114-5129

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.