1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Largest Prime Rib

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by dtmk66, Jun 23, 2020.

1. philvie

philvie Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've eaten that at the prime rib loft, to me it's the only way to eat prime rib, I hope they reopen soon.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Ruark

Ruark Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What other places are you comparing it with?

• Like Like x 1
  3. VolleyBall

VolleyBall 7* & MLife Plat

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What exactly do they do, put cajun seasoning on it and sear it a bit? I went to trip advisor, searched reviews for "Cajun" and this popped up which is somewhat depressing for those who crave Cajun...lol

upload_2020-7-4_7-21-15.png

4. azlefty

azlefty VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I was at Echo and Rig steakhouse a few years ago, I was offered the opportunity to purchase a ribeye steak by the inch. Apparently some groups share a 6 inch thick aged steak. I understand it takes about 45 minutes to cook and I imagine it would be best for those who like their steak rare. We decided to order steaks from the regular menu so I can't speak to the experience personally, but it may be something to consider if you prefer steak to roast prime rib as I do, or if you want something other than "USDA Good" beef .

Check out this photo on Yelp
    https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/igHYkXZMLAc9UdV5VnR_AA?select=nHfPI6d8tWIYeF0L0YVQ2g&utm_source=ashare&ref=yelp-android

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just remembered, Bob Taylor's Ranch House sometimes has a special where prime rib is so much per ounce, and you can have as little or as much as you want.

6. VolleyBall

VolleyBall 7* & MLife Plat

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Impressive! For myself, I like medium rare and would prefer six 1" steaks. Maillard reaction. I would like to try a Wagyu prime rib, though.

7. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm sorry, but I was wrong in citing "Cajun". It's "blackened", and this is it.
    [​IMG]

Here's the full discussion

https://www.vegasmessageboard.com/forums/index.php?threads/jerrys-nugget-third-times-a-charm-for-prime-rib-11-2-2019.167899/

Another NGO trip. QQQQ/NYNY
  8. DrScorpio

DrScorpio Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Got to try out Jerry's 50oz prime rib today. It was amazing! A bargain at $55! Waitress warmed me several times that it was huge as I ordered it. I probably should have heeded her warning. 1.jpg 3.jpg

• Wow! Wow! x 9
    • Like Like x 7
  9. jim buck

jim buck Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    WOW , could you even move after polishing off that slab of beef?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Over-Fried Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That meat does look great! Tender and juicy looking. I think if you were to cut 1/5th of that slab I would be sooooooo happy, full, and content!!:feedme:

But if I were 35 years younger, I would eat that whole thing. Probably would hibernate after that though!

11. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I assume that this was devoured, in one sitting, by one person, as in you?

12. Mrazzo

Mrazzo Baller

Trips to Las Vegas:

She ate it all.....

Taking Mom back to Vegas 60 yrs later
    • Wow! Wow! x 3
  13. GeorgeJ.

GeorgeJ. High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That Jerry's Nugget 50-oz prime rib sure looks nice. It would make several additional dinners if you take it home like I believe Dai Lun did.. No way I'd plough through it at Jerry's like Dr Scorpio though.... But I'd get through a good portion of it. I have been known to get 2 plates of prime rib at various buffets in Vegas. And that's when I ask the carver to give me a thick cut..

Do you need to make a reservation at the Jerry's Nugget Cafe these days? Or can you just walk up and get a table? I usually have dinner at 5PM or 6PM when it isn't too busy most places..

14. DrScorpio

DrScorpio Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I went on Saturday night around 9pm and Sunday at around 2pm. Both times there were no lines and was immediately seated. They ran out of prime rib on Saturday so I had to go back on Sunday.

All in 1 sitting in about 30min. The flaw in the meal was I ran out of sides 1/4 of the meal in. It was literally pure meat after that lol.

• Wow! Wow! x 1
  15. azlefty

azlefty VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That is very impressive. I realize you thought it was good enough to eat, but can you please elaborate on the taste?

16. DrScorpio

DrScorpio Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As some others have said, its good, but I have had better. One of the problems with prime rib is you cant really season the inside so its not the most flavorful. DaiLun's recommendation of getting it blackened sounds like a good idea to add more flavor. Probably wont affect the 50oz one too much, but should be great on the 30oz version. The description says that the prime rib is cooked for 10 hours at 200 degrees. I can believe it as it is quite tender and consistent throughout. I generally prefer a slightly noticeable outside crust, like the garlic rubbed prime rib at the Stinking Rose.

Short version: Tender prime rib, but a little bland. Maybe its so the eater can adjust the flavor with au jus, salt/pepper, horseradish, etc.

Next time I go, I will probably order the 30oz prime rib blackened.

• Like Like x 1
  17. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I tend to prefer less in the way of seasonings than many people do. I've found that Jerry's Nugget seasons prime rib (and other things) less than many places do, so that is a plus for me. As was said, in a roast size portion, the inside is not going to be seasoned. I always have the smallest cut, which is satisfying to me and sometimes on the borderline of too much, so for me, there's more outside for me to season as I like it.

I consider the prime rib at Jerry's to be right up there with the higher end places.

Prime rib also seems to have quite a bit of variance. I can't remember having a bad one at Jerry's, but I do know one person here had one that was sub-par, mostly in the way it was sliced and presented. One cohort reported that his wife got a poor slice of prime rib at Bob Taylor's Ranch House of all places, and I'm very sure that even Lawry's has some off-days.

And hey, if it's not to your liking, don't be afraid to send it back! Most places want their diners to be satisfied.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Over-Fried Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like to flavor the inside with just horseradish. I smear a dab on it and swish the piece of meat in the au jus.

I usually have prime rib when in Vegas. So right now I'm missing it terribly. And this thread doesn't help, lol!:p

19. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In case you want to make one at home, this is my tried and true recipe I have used for decades:

I slice the meat away perpendicular to the bone, almost to the end, but not quite. I then tie the meat back to the bone. This just makes it easier to carve after cooking, but is not necessary.

The night before, or even the day of, oil the entire roast with olive oil and then completely cover with the following seasonings which you have mixed together:

1 teaspoon salt

4 gloves of garlic, minced

2 tablespoons of paprika

½ tablespoon of thyme

1 teaspoon of fresh cracked black pepper

½ teaspoon onion powder

Cover the entire roast, patting the mixture over all the meat!!!

Cover and refrigerate overnight.

Take roast out of fridge two hours before cooking and let sit. Very Important.

Move oven rack to lowest level.

Preheat oven to 500 degrees and then cook roast for 5 minutes per pound.

Reduce heat to 250 and cook for an additional 21 minutes per pound. Don’t open the oven door.

This will give you a perfect rare, to medium rare roast, depending on your oven. Timing is very important; it doesn’t take much to overcook a rib roast.

Take out and let stand covered for 30 minutes before carving. This is also very important. Don’t carve too early.

One caution, your smoke detector might go off during the 500 degree stage, it makes a good crust.

• Like Like x 2
  20. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Rock salt and bacon bits! Skip most of the other seasonings. Let your guests season to taste.