1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Table Games LA Times Article About The "Golden Arms" at the Cal

Discussion in 'Table Games' started by bighouse304, May 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bighouse304

bighouse304 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  2. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always love reading articles about craps. Most of us have had great rolls and nothing beats it. Obviously I'll take any hot roll but it's sweeter when you're the shooter. But in the long run it's still math over myth :)

3. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always wondered about those plaques n the walkway between cal and msm. Does some clock start running when you start rolling? i have never seen one, that or some roll counter. I mean sometimes people get in a heater but are they actually reviewing the tapes and finding out when they actually started the roll?

Maybe i am over analyzing it but i did get hassled once bu security for taking pictures of the plaque wall.

4. Rush

Rush MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    LOL!

Guy says, "If you place the dice a certain way, the odds of throwing a seven are less".

Then they show him on a come out roll: "Seven. Front line winner!"

:D

• Like Like x 1
  5. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's the very common (we all do it) of remembering the positive and forgetting the negative. In all phases of life but particularly in gambling. I swear when you talk to people who gamble 90% of them are "winners".

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not sure but I think the clock is a general one, not an exact one based on the pit boss and the boxman.

But then the counter at the Fremont isn't exact either. They are supposed to increment the counter with each roll of the dice but sometimes I have to remind the boxman to count the rolls I throw. Once I threw for half an hour but it only showed that I had 12 rolls. No it wasn't because of the time needed to set the bets and payout the bets, it was because the boxman was only counting every 3 or 4 rolls. I mentioned it to the boxman and he added a couple of rolls but even after that he wasn't incrementing the counter correctly.

I have a former boss who is a platinum member of the club. He rolled more than an hour twice. I watched how he threw the dice but his throws were no different than anyone else and when I played with him it was nothing special. He and I know that it is just the luck of the dice.

I had that situation on my last trip in April. I usually have good luck throwing the dice but this trip I didn't have any luck at all throwing so the last day or two I just passed the dice after the first couple of times I threw I crapped out quickly.

Last edited: May 1, 2017
  7. blkshirt

blkshirt High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Anybody had legendary rolls? I saw the article too and was excited for the trip in June...

2020 Trip Take3???
  8. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Over-Fried Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for sharing this article.

I must admit I hope one day I can have a plaque on the wall between the Cal and MSS. But like COusineddie mentioned, how do they determine and authenticate the time if and when someone does roll over an hour?

I rolled for 53 minutes once. Or so that's what the Cal claimed. Others on the table believed I rolled over an hour but the mgt. denied I did. Whatever. I just wondered how they determined it. I didn't see anybody mention they checked the tapes, lol!

But every trip I make I hope to roll way past an hour and make the Golden Arm Club!

9. Rush

Rush MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Maybe they use dealer breaks as their clock? I would be more interested in total rolls. The Hawaiian folks are pretty laid back and slow, and those tables are always jammed. An hour roll there could be 25 rolls, where an hour up the street might be 50.

10. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've had 2 really great rolls in my life but I didn't keep track of the time. Once was in the 80's at the Stardust, another player tipped me a black. Last year at the Orleans a player tipped me 3 blacks.

• Wow! Wow! x 2
  11. TIMSPEED

TIMSPEED The biggest Degenerate on VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I also would bet they go off dealer breaks to keep track of time..the one time I shot 104 rolls in reno, I started with a certain stickman, and he rotated to base dealer, then break, and when he came back on the stick he said "Damn, you're still shooting??"
    The pitboss was a cool guy and he actually reviewed the tape and said I shot for something like 160 minutes

• Like Like x 2
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  12. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Stick change is a good way to keep track, I agree.

13. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

I had a few. Once I was on a vacations Hawaii charter. Bag pull was at 4 am so I just stayed up all night (took a nap after dinner) to wait for my flight out of vegas. At about 3 am I started rolling (I know because I checked my watch when I started). Because of the early morning hour there were probably only 3 or so people on the table. I kept rolling and 50 minutes later I was still rolling on the table but worrying about getting back for the bag pull. By that time there were about 9 people on the table so it still wasn't that crowded. I crapped out at 55 minutes but the pit boss said that had it been in the evening I would probably have a 75 or longer minute roll. Too bad, I hoped he would qualify me for the golden arm but he said that they had to use actual time, which was under an hour. The good thing was that I made back all that I gambled on the trip so it wasn't a total waste for me.

A couple of years ago I had a monster roll at MSS. I was also hitting the hard ways. I probably rolled for about an hour but by the time I crapped out some guys had green and black chips on the hard 6 and 8 because I kept hitting those (in the 1 hour time I think I hit 6 hard 8's and 3 hard 6's). This was on day 2 of my trip so I was up the rest of my trip. 2 guys threw me black chips because they won so much on my roll. One guy I swear won over 15k and the table started using more green and black chips and higher chips as time went on. My roll also produced tokes for the pit crew and they got over 3k in tokes so the pit boss gave me a great rating on the table which produced some mailers which gave me comped nights. This was the first time I went to the cage to cash my chips and they had to call the pit to verify that I was on the table.

I wish that I could regularly get those kind of rolls but they don't happen very often but still it is great to get them.

• Like Like x 2
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  14. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Over-Fried Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think some "Golden Arms" might not be so "Golden" when you factor in full tables with everyone having bets on all the numbers and in the center. After a while the game will slow down as the dealers scramble to pay out the bets after each roll.

Maybe the Fremont's "Sharpshooter Club" is a more accurate assessment of a shooter's ability because they get rated by consecutive rolls without a seven. It's just that (to me anyway) the "Golden Arm" seems magical, mysterious, and prestigious which we all know is bullshit. But I still hope to be one, lol!

I remember I rolled for like 37 times at the Fremont. After I was done everyone clapped and thanked me for a good roll. The pit boss came over and gave me a prize voucher and told me to redeem it at the players club. I got all excited when I saw stuff like jackets and collared golf shirts and I wanted a jacket! But the lady at the redemption center said I only qualify for either a baseball cap or a coffee mug. Shit......I ended up taking the baseball cap, LOL!!

• Like Like x 1
  15. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

I agree with the golden arm comment but the counter at the Fremont is also misleading. It all depends if the boxman increments the counter correctly. I have seen the boxman miss increments a number of times, almost on a regular basis so sometimes your counts are off by as much as 5 or 10 rolls.

I think you have to roll 55 or 60 rolls to get the jacket. But there are 2 types of jackets. I think 55 or 60 rolls only gets you the "cheapie" white jacket (the one you see in the display case near the player's club booth) instead of the nice looking black jacket.
    I think I had 52 rolls once but I only won a t shirt (that says "sharpshooters club"). No matter because I won enough from my rolls to buy the jacket if I wanted to.

Yes, on crowded crap tables things slow down as the pit crew pays out all the bets so at a full table it can go a lot longer and you don't need as many rolls to make the golden arm club. Guess that's why the pit boss told me if I had my roll during the regular hours instead of 3 am I would probably have made the Golden Arm club for sure. But I think the Golden Arm club is just another hook to get people to play at their tables. You notice that MSS doesn't have anything like that but I guess they are busy because most of us rather play there with the 20x odds. Cal and Fremont only offer 2x odds.

16. Craps_Player

Craps_Player Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I entered the Golden Arm tournament at the Cal (started on the 20th April). I could only manage 23 rolls as my best. 4 passes (points) made. Profitable roll for sure. The leader at the time had done 72 rolls. I didn't qualify for the final with the cut off heading at the low 40s. They opened up a few more tables and there were certainly some decent shooters proving that you can land in the same landing zone every time. Affect the dice outcome? Depends on what you believe, but the skill of shooting dice was here. Amongst all the other places in Vegas, skilled dice shooters congregated here. Polite, accepting and entertaining. Kudos to the Cal for hosting the event. I didn't lose much in the end, but had a great couple of sessions over there.

• Like Like x 3
  17. blissfulignoramus

blissfulignoramus Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think I had >30 throws once but I rarely play craps and am a very rudimentary player. Years ago my friend and I were fairly drunk and on our way out of somewhere downtown, and he wanted to shoot some quick craps. There were two spaces on a pretty crowded table that looked fun, so I said sure. All I knew about craps was Pass Line and max odds, but another player told me I should graduate to playing the inside, so I was putting $5 on the pass line and betting 6/8, thinking I was a cool cucumber. The table was hot though, and I was doing well. My friend and I really only intended to jump in, place a few bets and take off, but we stayed. I was up a couple of hundred pretty quickly. I said okay, we'll keep playing until after I shoot. Then the dice got to me, and right away I threw three sevens and elevens. Everyone is cheering me on. I throw a six for the point, and then proceeded to throw forever, seemingly hitting nothing but good throws. Several hard ways. The table was nuts, big stacks everywhere. Finally, I hit the point and everyone is literally jumping up and down and yelling, high fiving me. Who knows how much money was won.

So, I start picking up my chips and getting ready to leave. People quieted down. I look up and everyone is looking at me. The boxman, a huge man with a big round face and a mustache, is staring at me. He says, "Where are YOU going?" I sheepishly put my chips back in the rack and threw again. No disaster, but after several throws I crapped out.

18. D in the D

D in the D Oldest ride, Longest Line

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Anything below the stereo and on this side of the bicentennial glasses. Anything between the ashtrays and the thimble. Anything in this three inches right in here in this area. That includes the Chiclets, but not the erasers. - Navin. R. Johnson.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.