1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Kentucky Derby, Preakness & Belmont Picks

Discussion in 'The Sports Book' started by volfaninbama, May 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nevada Kid

Nevada Kid VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Looks like I'll Have Another showed up.

2. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'll Have Another wins in a Derby run on Cinco de Mayo. Kinda poetic.

3. DonD

DonD VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bodemeister ran a great race in defeat. Much better than I predicted. Congratulations to the connections of I'll Have Another.

4. volfaninbama

volfaninbama High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well at least I got the place bet

Well at least Bodemiester stayed long enough to place so that bets covers all my others and leaves a little profit sure wish it would have been a little shorter.
    If they run him at The Preakness I like the way he ran even coming 2nd.

5. Shot Clock

Shot Clock Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    :drunk:

Not only hit the Double on the best one I could have wished for, but I boxed those same 5 in the Derby in an exacta and hit that.

Great race. Hope to see a rematch in the Preakness. 1 3/16 seems perfectly suited for Bodemeister.

And the Caps won today too. Awesome day!

6. may24

may24 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    With the split times bodiemeister put up, if he had of won the race he would have been a monster. still ran a great race for second.
    My huge pick for the Preakness and will get decent value because people tend to over bet the Derby winner in the preakness.

7. arkansas grandma

arkansas grandma Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just got home and am not at all disappointed: a young, Mexican jocket winning the first Derby he ever rode in and on cinco De Mayo, what more could you ask for, add to that a great run by Bode it was a wonderful race and I did ok: I am leaning toward Bode in the Preakness.

Nita

8. parlay the yo

parlay the yo Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    First time in since 03 that I did not make it to the track for the Derby. Wife had to go into work so I was on baby duty. About 2:45 30 min before post got a stick up my ass to bet the race online. Only deposited $40 in my new twin spires acct. as not to piss of the wife too much as we're planning a Vegas trip the first week in June. Bet $15 to win on I'll Have Another, a local So Cal horse and also hit the $1 Exacta for a total payout of $394.00.

9. chitownjohn

chitownjohn High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice hit on the DB and EX!!!! I liked the horse but not the post position.

It was an all out effort by Bodemeister, I hope he runs in the Preakness, but I wouldn't be shocked if they gave him some time off.

10. arkansas grandma

arkansas grandma Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I look for Bode to run in the Preakness as it should be the perfect distance for him. I could see him skinpping the Belmont maybe

May24 seems to be pretty much on, but who knows. I too think Bode might have decent odds as people do overbet the KDerby winner. We all hope for the magical moment when we will see a triple crown winner. I don' think this is the year, but who knows?

11. volfaninbama

volfaninbama High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Some nice wins! I like Bode in the Preakness if he runs and trains well coming in then I'll Have Another should be a good Belmont pick.

12. may24

may24 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not to sound like a tool, but I know.
    There will be no Triple Crown winner this year.
    Waiting to see a Triple Crown winner in my lifetime is like waiting to see the Leafs win the Cup in my lifetime. Not sure it will ever happen.

13. arkansas grandma

arkansas grandma Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am sure most will agree with you. This year it is very unlikely. We will have a better idea after the Preakness. Now, I don't know how old you are, but don't give up, every year is different and it will happen one of these days.

Nita

14. Shot Clock

Shot Clock Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There's always hope.

The Preakness will likely be a weak field outside of Derby 1-2s. So I'll Have Another will have a decent shot of winning it. I certainly like his chances to win it (Preakness and Triple) much more than I did the last few Derby winners (Animal Kingdom, Super Saver, Mine That Bird).

The Belmont is the tough one - usually better and fresher competition and such an freakishly long distance.

15. arkansas grandma

arkansas grandma Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There is hope, but my reasoning and I may be a lover of the sport but not a master of it by anymeans: from watching the Derby it appears Bode can't quite go the longer distance, so should win the Preakness, but I'll have another might do better in the Belmont. Now, if he can pull it off in the Preakness, we might see one. I am pretty sure my bet will be similar to last Sat, Bode and I'll have another to show.

16. Shot Clock

Shot Clock Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bode would be the favorite for the Preakness, no doubt, as he should be. But 1) that doesn't mean he'll win and 2) we don't even know if he's going to run in it.

I personally think Baffert would be stupid not to run him there because he's not going to run him in the Belmont, that's for sure. Run him in Baltimore and then rest him until the Haskell, which is the ideal distance (9 furlongs) for him.

Back to number 1, Pimlico is a track with tighter turns than CD (and most tracks) - how that might effect a speedster - tough to say. Also, I think we would see a tactically different race from I'll Have Another at Pimlico given the slightly shorter distance and smaller field.

17. may24

may24 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If there is to be another TC winner its either going to have to be a freak of a horse or they are going to have to space out the races more. The way horses are bred now, there is no way. To run a distance of 1 1/4 and then come back 2 weeks later to run the preakness at 1 3/16 then come back in only 3 weeks to run a ridiculously long 1 1/2 mile is pretty much unachievable in todays modern breeding. Most of these horses will never run these distances after the TC and will never race so close together.
    I'll have Another is a nice horse but he is no super horse.

18. jrinct1

jrinct1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    To me thats the beauty of the T.C. Changing it to make it easier, would diminish the T.C.

19. DonD

DonD VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I changed the thread title to, Kentucky Derby, Preakness & Belmont Picks instead of starting a new thread. :peace:

20. may24

may24 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It is one thing to water it down to make it easier, but the way it is now its unattainable.
    Back 30, 40 , 50 years ago horses were bred, trained and raced differently then they are now and winning races 2 weeks apart was more common.
    A horse will rest for the Belmont, not having raced for a month and a potential TC horse will be runing his third race in a little more than a month.
    I doubt a TC will ever happen again in the current format. If it does it will be a great horse against a weak field.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.