1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Kentucky Derby and Breeders Cup

Discussion in 'The Sports Book' started by KCSCOTT, Mar 30, 2020.

1. KCSCOTT

KCSCOTT Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If the Kentucky Derby is held in Early September and then they do the Preakness and Belmont Stakes after that will take us right to Breeders Cup time. That means the Travers, Haskell etc will not mean much. Will they cut the purses or what? I say INCREASE the purses for the summer races so they are still meaningful

2. Michael Smith

Michael Smith Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think if they move the Haskell to early July (now July 18) and the Travers to early August (now August 24) they would be perfect Derby preps and would be incredibly meaningful.

Saratoga and Del Mar, baby!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Bobby B

Bobby B Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If they hold the normal spacing, the Belmont would be four weeks before the BC. I don't know how 3 year olds would be ready that quickly after going 1.5 miles. My guess is there will be very few entries for the Belmont.

4. azbob

azbob Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have you read that they are moving the Preakness and the Belmont from the current dates...I haven't.

5. LvBlitzforce

LvBlitzforce Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Anyone ever attend the kentucky derby? Im not even into horse racing at all but have been to just about every sporting event, like to drink, like to gamble, and the kentucky derby seems like a match made in heaven lol. All i've heard is you want to be on the infield

Any tips/recommendations/pricing?

6. BlacklabberMike

BlacklabberMike VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry,can't help you there, I have been to the Belmont three times.

7. Michael Smith

Michael Smith Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Been a couple of times. Crowded, Churchill is in a rotten neighborhood and is a very old facility—although some updates have been made recently. I would not recommend the infield unless you're young and mostly just a partier. Reserved seats better although now quite pricey. But, for hard core horse players like me, it is nirvana. If you ever have the chance, the Breeder's Cup is better in my opinion—seen it at Churchill, Keeneland, Santa Anita several times and Del Mar. If you are a reader at all, there's a great essay about the Derby by the iconic Hunter S. Thompson:

http://brianb.freeshell.org/a/kddd.pdf

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Bobby B

Bobby B Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have read that the Preakness has moved to two weeks after the Derby. Haven't seen anything on the Belmont yet.

9. LvBlitzforce

LvBlitzforce Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for this.

I am semi young (mid 30's) and am looking more for the party atmosphere rather than the race itself. I would be going with my fiance who obviously only cares about the big hat/mint julep aspect so sounds like infield would be the route to go. Just looked up pricing and the tickets are wayyy cheaper than what i always just assumed they would cost. 70 for infield seems pretty cheap, you cant even get tickets to the Knights games for that.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. deuceswild

deuceswild Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:

I went with my family back in 2017. I was in my late 20s and I was with my girlfriend(now wife), my brother, cousin, mother, aunt and uncle and everyone’s SO. We did the 8 hour drive down from Toronto Canada to Cincinnati and spent the evening their and headed down to Louisville in the morning on Derby Day. Like someone else’s comment earlier, Churchill Downs seemed like its located in a dumpier part of Louisville. But the locals offer cheap beer on the streets for before and after festivities.
    I never went into the infield but I would honestly say the grandstand is just as much fun for drinking as the infield would be, without the mud and extremely intoxicated college kids. Tickets were relatively expensive but it’s all comparable. And I love to gamble on the ponies so the $200 or so a ticket was small change in the grand scheme.

It is definitely an experience. As a racing fan you need to do it at least once in your life. If I was to do it again I probably would make a weekend out of it. Thursday to Sunday.

I will attach some photos.

Edit: to my dismay I only had one photo. I took a video but couldn’t seem to upload it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
  11. Horseplayer1

Horseplayer1 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The only good thing about moving the date of the Derby is that the weather will be much better than the weather in Ky in May. Many Derbies have been wet wet wet. The bad thing is some of these horses have been pointed and trained for May..
    Agree that 3 year olds put through the rigors of the Triple Crowns will not be ready 4 weeks later for Breeders Cup. And they can't push BC back because Nov in Lexington is going to be iffy weather wise at best.

Plan D please God don't make there be a plan E......
  12. WichitaMuskie

WichitaMuskie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, it's going to be 80 and sunny tomorrow in Louisville, so no, the weather can't possibly be better this year. I can recall some horribly hot Labor Day weekends growing up in Louisville. First Saturday in May is generally better there than first Saturday in September.

In any event, who you all got in the virtual Derby? Secretariat seems like the obvious choice, and I can bet it at 2-1, but I feel like they're not going to have the obvious choice win.

Bizarro Kentucky Derby Trip
  13. WichitaMuskie

WichitaMuskie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How long has it been since you've been there? The neighborhood really isn't bad there anymore. They've cleaned it up a lot, particularly with the University of Louisville putting their baseball and football stadiums nearby. And Churchill Downs bought up and tore down a large number of the less desirable looking homes. Luckily, the older parts of Churchill Downs still remain, but if you want modern and luxurious (and are willing to pay up), Churchill Downs has a lot of that to offer now as well. The infield is....well, the infield.

Have you ever been to the Preakness? Whoa, that neighborhood is BAD. And they've cracked down on the infield there, but I went in 2000 and it seemed actually dangerous. Only time I really had fears for my safety at a sporting event.

Bizarro Kentucky Derby Trip
    • Like Like x 1
  14. loonytoony

loonytoony VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    New.....for those who wanna dress up

IMG_3268.jpg

GRAND REOPENING!!!!!
    • Funny Funny x 2
  15. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I call dibs on the purple one. That blue is "my color", but I'm afraid I'd never keep those feathers out of my eyes. :haha:

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Michael Smith

Michael Smith Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, now that I think about it, I haven't been to Churchill since the 2006 Breeders Cup—Street Sense won the juvenile and the Derby the next year. Previously was there for the 97 Derby when Silver Charm won and when Lil E. Tee won in 92. So, yeah, there could have definitely been improvements in that neighborhood.

Glad to hear it. I just remember it seemed like a bit of a slum when I first visited there in the 90's. Places change and I just get older. Never been to the Preakness, but I have been to the Travers at Saratoga. Saratoga is, for me, the Mecca of horse racing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Bobby B

Bobby B Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Preakness is now officially scheduled for October 3rd.

18. Michael Smith

Michael Smith Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Only waiting for a date for the Belmont. It will have to be before the Derby which poses the question of distance. Will it remain the traditional mile and a half?

19. TrewBrew

TrewBrew I may be right, I may be Crazy.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Maybe august 15 or 22 for the Belmont. I hear they may be opening NY early June.

20. BlacklabberMike

BlacklabberMike VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    According to Linda Rice, trainer of PowerUpPaynter, of which i own a few shares of,a condition book was released with a tentative opening day of June 17th or 18th. no fans.....

Last edited: May 18, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 1