1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Jon Gruden out as Vegas coach

Discussion in 'The Sports Book' started by rooster42000, Oct 11, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. midliferetired

midliferetired VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It’s happening so quick but I can be 100% certain NO ONE deserves this… I bet a lot of people are freaking out and going on the defensive because they have done similar and hoping no one finds out. We throw people in prison for murder and sometimes they get out eventually. This feels worse and isn’t over.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. HHFan

HHFan VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I’d take resigning my 10M a year job after making oodles of money over jail, but maybe I’m crazy.

3. Travel Fanatic

Travel Fanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree. No one deserves to be dehumanized the way Gruden did to so many groups of people

I Need Spa
    • Agree Agree x 8
  4. vegasvp

vegasvp VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    "What Jon Gruden did should get him banned from the NFL for life."

Signed,

Ray Lewis
    Tyreek Hill
    Antonio Brown
    Michael Vick
    Ben Roethlisberger
    Kareem Hunt
    DeShaun Watson

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  5. 3OfDiamonds

3OfDiamonds Waiting For “Very Good” Video Poker @ Rio…

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice misdirect there, but yes, it should :hmmm:

6. Michael Smith

Michael Smith VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The difference is that these players are not in charge of an entire organization and don't lead 53 men on to the field each week.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. vegasvp

vegasvp VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just pointing out the double standard.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. vegasvp

vegasvp VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    But still collecting NFL paychecks in some cases for violent crimes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. 3OfDiamonds

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There’s no double standard here - Jon Gruden deserves to coach as much as the rest of those players (assuming the allegations are true in a couple of the cases you mentioned), which is zero. Gruden got caught dead to rights with the emails, so he’s no longer coaching, as it should be. The players you mentioned were either accused but not charged/convicted/otherwise found out (and there is a combination of presumed-innocent-before-found-guilty and not believing people we should be more inclined to believe going on there), or held responsible for their actions (and sorta given a second chance in the case of Vick, which I didn’t love but eh).

10. vegasvp

vegasvp VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tyreek Hill. Antonio Brown and Michael Vick were all convicted.

Don't misunderstand me. I think Jon Gruden deserved what he got. But there's a different standard for players and it's one I don't like.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/crime/article/nfl-second-chances-deshaun-watson-sex-assault-16220884.php

11. mr.vegas

mr.vegas Peace sells, but who's buying?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ken glad you said August I believe I read last January the Sahara had snow for the fourth time in the last 50 years.:poke:

12. 3OfDiamonds

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Shows how much I pay attention to the drama of professional athletes :oops: I guess it’s like whack-an-asshole; too many to smack in the head with a mallet already, and when you do even more pop up :blink::blink:

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. vegasvp

vegasvp VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    [
    That's a fact.

14. vegasvp

vegasvp VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So true.

15. rooster42000

rooster42000 Goat of all Goats , My Hero

Trips to Las Vegas:
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. vegasvstr

vegasvstr VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Shahid Khan wanted to buy them, but got denied by the NFL and Kroenke. I hope both have to pay dearly.

I'm surprised they would retain emails back 10 years. I think there's more to come.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The sort of organization with this culture probably didn't have strong compliance with a records retention policy designed to minimize litigation risk.

What do you think is in the rest of the Gruden emails? This felt like a drip, drip, drip effort. The odds we got more emails by Thursday were, what, 99% unless he quit?

18. Travel Fanatic

Travel Fanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Its not a double standard. You're inventing facts. Gruden has not been banned for life.

If you want to make a comparison, the more accurate one is Kaepernick. If Gruden never works in the NFL again, its because, like Kaepernick, the owners disagree with his opinions and how he expressed them

I Need Spa
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Players are also covered by a CBA and coaches are not. They can fire coaches easily. They can't just ban players even if they want to.

And, like you mentioned, the actions of a random player are fundamentally different than someone in a position of authority. Jon Gruden didn't just have authority over the roster. He had a coaching staff. He had tremendous power over nearly anyone in the front office. He was arguably the face of the entire organization. You have to expect to be held to a higher standard than the staff under you when you're in that sort of role.

20. stlguy197239

stlguy197239 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What Kroenke did to own the Rams was legal. When the former owners kids wanted to sell, Kroenke had the first right of refusal as a minority owner. Kahn overplayed his hand at the time and even then people were not sure what Kroenke would do. There were rumors he was going to let it go and then push the NFL to give him an expansion team but at the literally the last minute, he exercised his rights to buy up the rest of the team. All perfectly legal, unfortunately.

Now, what he did AFTER that is up for debate and why they (Kroenke and the NFL) are sweating it out in a courtroom. As a Rams fan, at the time, it was clear the ownership was tanking the team. The goal was to drive fans away so that Kroenke could then go to the NFL and say "see, this city won't support a team" and then move. The problem was the NFL had a policy for moving teams, or at least pretended to, and when it was clear what was going on the NFL and Kroenke just ignored that policy and moved the team. All the while lying to public about why with increasingly bad attacks on the city and the fans on the way out.

People keep talking about St Louis getting an expansion team as part of a settlement. As a STL resident, I don't want a team. First, there is no one I would trust to own the team that I wouldn't assume would be a plant for the NFL trying to tank another team so they can move them to San Antonio. Second, I want the league, and the owners, to pay. An expansion team doesn't really cost them money, the only thing that might happen is that there wouldn't be normal franchise fee that new teams pay. Honestly, I would rather have an NBA team than NFL team right now based on the past history with this city and the NFL.

Also, what is it with NFL owners and bad hair? Between Mark Davis' bowl cut from hell and Kroenke's dead animal on his head, you would think billionaires would spend a little of that money on a good barber.

/rant off
    whew.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.