1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Joe Buck

Discussion in 'The Sports Book' started by jpw711, Oct 29, 2019.

?

Joe Buck:

1. Yea?

38.1%
  2. Nay?

61.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Whenever I think of Buck , I think of this:

5/8ths is a little longer there, Joe.

2. BlacklabberMike

BlacklabberMike MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Joe Buck : Uh, well, sir, I ain't a f'real cowboy. But I am one helluva stud!

3. stlguy197239

stlguy197239 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You had me until the 'Smoltz to shine' part. The 'issue' with Buck on the WS games for the last 15+ years has been his partners. McCarver is a relic who doesn't understand the modern game and longs 1960s baseball.

As for Smoltz, he is a joke. His dismissal of analytics at every turn is downright stupid considering the Astros are built on analytics and have been in the WS two of the last 3 years. The Red Sox, the most successful team in the last 15 years, are also a heavily analytics influenced team but you would never be able to tell listening to Smoltz. At least with McCarver he has some stories to tell to lighten the broadcast, even if you have heard them 500 times.

4. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Content blocked.

5. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oops, sorry.

It is an old nfl game, where the sideline reporter is telling Joe that most of the players on the rainy field have gone to 5/8 inch cleats from 1/2, but that Shaun Alexander has special 3/4 inch cleats at the front of his shoe.

To which Joe says "I wish I knew what was longer , 3/8 or .... a half or 5/8 ...... (then to Aikman) you played in the NFL, what's longer, a half or 5/8's".

Also I think you can click view in youtube on the link.

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. OddsWrkin

OddsWrkin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I threw up in my mouth a little.

7. mr.vegas

mr.vegas Peace sells, but who's buying?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not a fan of Buck but in my view Aikman is far more annoying with his stories about the 90's cowboy's i do not find Daryl Johnston to suffer from the same problem on air.

• Like Like x 2
  8. stlguy197239

stlguy197239 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

Those might be the only stories Troy can remember after all the concussions he suffered in his career.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't get the annoyance... I saw a bunch of tweets the other day from folks who find A-Rod cringeworthy. As long as someone is providing me play by play and analysis, I'm happy. Sure I have those I really like... Tony Romo and Cris Collinsworth are examples... but I don't get annoyed by any of them.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I watch more and more sporting events with the volume down and music streaming. About the only NFL I watch all season is a bit of MNF, as my wife has an evening meeting every other week. That could be the worst duo since the designer and captain of the Titanic.

11. VegasBJ

VegasBJ VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I saw that CBS golf got rid of Kostis and McCord. I thought that McCord always brought some levity to the broadcast, and didn't take himself too seriously

• Like Like x 1
  12. Dutch34

Dutch34 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Completely agree about McCord. He was (is) actually a really good golfer, but he brought all the talk down to the viewer level without being smug or condescending. I think I saw where DL III is going to be on the broadcast team now. Yawn.

13. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    McCord won twice on the Grumps Tour and once on the AAA circuit, but even he would say his career on the course was one of underachievement, which is why he's been such a staple in the booth for so long. I'm glad to see him go simply because schtick gets old after three decades and the routine was trite, predictable and tired. I'm all for some levity out there and don't exactly think a course and a tournament is a temple (which is why I love seeing the Masters but cringe at the broadcast supplication).

I think Zinger is the best of the bunch now. And if someone would just hook up Duval and run a couple million volts through him he could be electric, but he's still too close to the game and players.

Kostis understands swings and can relay it, but that doesn't work with the modern viewing crowd.

(I just concluded a 30-minute phone chat/interview with Chamblee. I'm fucking exhausted. lol)

• Like Like x 1
  14. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
  15. Dean Martin

Dean Martin VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Buck used to bug me a little but the more I hear him and then hear others, at least he's got a pretty good grip on the pace and even though he wasn't a (football or baseball) player, he understands the games and rules. I believe calling games that can be pretty dynamic (as in fast moving at times) is harder than most think. You've got to think on the fly and adapt...easy until somebody sticks the mic in your hand and the camera in your face. Nantz is at the top of my annoying list. His voice is just too smooth and polished...sounds like the guy at work that's always sucking up. Tony Romo used to bug me a bit when he first started doing football but the more I listen to him and realize how much better he understands the game than most sportscasters, I like him. He grows on you and he gets excited and he tells you some things that are probably going on in the huddle, the players mind and on the field that the average watcher may not think about.....because he's been there. Same thing for Aikman. But then when I was younger, I loved Howard Cosell and some probably disliked him too. I think most people in my era liked him doing MNF and boxing but now days, he'd probably get boo'd off of the stage. Times, technology and people change....but Howard was great for the era that he was in where none of the sportscasters were ex-players. And I like McChord and Feherty for golf. I'd much rather hear somebody do golf like Tin Cup than hear somebody whispering like there's somebody sleeping in the next room. I mean WTF, it's not like they're standing next to the guy putting and going to disturb him.. And then there's Johnny Miller...I know he was a great player but...…:rolleyes2: Rant over but hey, you asked :poke:

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. stlguy197239

stlguy197239 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Romo is the best color guy in any sport since I have been watching sports. He just gets 'it'. His ability to know exactly what the teams are going to do is amazing. He is also doesn't take himself to serious, which is a BIG problem for most NFL guys.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. Travel Fanatic

Travel Fanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree. I never expected that when he started. Very few ex-players tend to excel in that position. But he is fantastic (I will add that Collinsworth is an ex-player that is very good at it too)

I Need Spa
    • Like Like x 2
  18. stlguy197239

stlguy197239 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have long held a theory that the further a color guy is to actually playing the worse he is which is why Romo is so good at it. As for Collinsworth, if he would just call the damn game he would be great. My problem with him is that he is so far removed from playing now - 30 years or so - that he still thinks it's the 80's and that football is the same as it was back then. Romo knows the game as it is currently played and taught, Collinsworth does't really get it. I find him hard to listen to on the Sunday night games.

19. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Romo called the gadget play New England used on the Eagles. Even before they huddled, he called it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. h0und10

h0und10 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, well Booger called Rivers "masterful" 20 seconds before he threw another pick last night :poke:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.