1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

JetBlue Boston to Vegas

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by nin7474, Nov 5, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nin7474

nin7474 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wondering if anyone has taken the non-stop from Boston to Vegas.
    Do they have food or alcohol options?
    I’m leaving BOS at 8am ET and debating on bringing food on my flight if JetBlue isn’t offering anything because of Covid.
    And since it’s so early, I doubt any food place near the JetBlue terminal/Logan will be open except Dunkins.

2. Brandt

Brandt Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No alcohol sales, you can purchase limited snacks/food, and they serve cold beverages. (not sure if you can get free alcohol in MINT)

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. M0rtyC

M0rtyC TBD

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This will be my 1st year not going to Vegas in December since just after 911.
    JetBlue is my only airline and the nonstop is great both ways. If you have JetBlue points even better. I’ve booked Mint a couple times for less than 45k points.
    Food options in C terminal have gotten a lot better. Potbelly sandwich shop opens at 5 am. Definitely take your food onto this 5 1/2 6 hour flight.

December 2020 ———->2021
  4. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In Mint, they are doing full meal service and (I think) alcohol (I'm not sure they have 100% of the usual alcohol options available, but I'm pretty sure some guy got a beer/hard cider of some sort on my trip home).

In main cabin, they had removed the drinks and snacks from the self serve area at the front. I believe you could get at least soft drinks/coffee and snacks from an F.A. in the main cabin.

My flight was 7:00am, but I don't remember what was open or even exists in Terminal C other than Dunkin, Starbucks and Hudson News.

upload_2020-11-5_17-6-2.png

Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
  5. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One other note: every other trip I've done on JetBlue, the arrival gate at LAS was in the main part of Terminal 3, so you just had to go down the escalator to baggage claim.

This last trip, I'm not sure exactly what gate they landed at, but had to take a really short tram ride then hike a bit to get to baggage claim. And same thing in reverse from clearing security to board the flight home.

6. TomBrady'sLoveChild

TomBrady'sLoveChild Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How are you handling the whole testing and quarrartine crap? I cancelled 4 trips since September because of Baker.

7. nin7474

nin7474 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It’s basically a “honor system” to quarantine for 2 weeks or take a test after you get back.
    If you drive from a “bad” state into MA. You’re supposed to register on the site but I bet nobody does.
    So why should flying in be held “more accountable”.
    Hence honor system.
    Also Nevada has less numbers than MA but not ok’s. BUT CA has HIGHER numbers but ok’ed.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
  8. mike mc

mike mc High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you need a drink TSA allows up to 6 nips thru screening if it fits into baggie . Just be discreet

• Like Like x 1
  9. Flowers

Flowers VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Alcohol in MINT is readily available. I know first hand. :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. dedhd

dedhd Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love mint service and if the price is right I will opt in for the experience including the food and alcohol. It is great to sleep fully reclined and awaken in las Vegas, or back in Boston. If seats are available at flight time one hour before boarding they are offered up at a discount-usually $100 cheaper so I've done that a couple of times Jet Blue lately has been making wholesale changes to flight schedules after booking including eliminating mint equipped planes so that kind of bites, but I guess the way the industry needs to stay afloat

• Like Like x 2
  11. Flowers

Flowers VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, that has happened to me a few times. Like @Chuck2009x, I book MINT fares typically the day the new schedule opens. I'm Mosaic so can change flights with no fees and I think even if you aren't Mosaic -- and especially in this Covid environment -- changing flights I believe without fees is pretty easy to do.

I had booked flights for my late September/October trip back in April and for my Thanksgiving trip around the same time. I always fly out of JFK but the flights that had MINT service on 3 of 4 of those flights were cancelled. I was offered connecting through FLL. Uhhhm. No thank you with a zillion non-stops from the NYC area to Vegas. For my most recent trip I just changed the flight times to the one MINT flight that day.

Interestingly, while JB is cutting back on MINT flights from JFK to LAS they are INCREASINING them from Newark (EWR) to Las Vegas. It's in another state but Newark is actually a tad closer than JFK to where I live as I'm about a 5 minute drive from the George Washington Bridge. For my upcoming trip I'm flying out of and back to EWR. The times of the flights are great and they are non-stop and in MINT all the way. The fares are also noticeably less than the fares out of JFK, even factoring in Covid discounts.

Not yet 100% about my end of the year trip but the return MINT flight I booked on a Sunday was cancelled to a non-MINT flight only. The only MINT flight back to the NYC area that day is to JFK and it is a red eye, which can wear me out but I decided to pick that one.

I sometimes also fly into Boston and take a second short flight from Boston to LaGuardia, which is VERY close to me, especially as the LAS to BOS MINT fares are always much better than the LAS to JFK fares.

I have always wanted to try the "buy at the airport" MINT seat because I agree, it can be a great deal if the seat you originally purchased is really inexpensive. Adding a discount on top of that because of Covid is sweet! The one time I tried to do it, however, pre-Covid MINT was completely sold out. Actually the plane was truly sold out. But, until air travel gets back to normal the odds of being able to purchase a discounted MINT airfare at the airport before flight time is probably 100%. If I can get a great airfare at the outset, however, that's my preference so I don't have to worry about it.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  12. nin7474

nin7474 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Do they also deduct your current paid fare from the discounted MINT seats when that was offfered?

13. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't think they would consider your already-paid fare in the discount at the gate. If you decided to upgrade online the day before, your already-paid fare would count, so as long as they are waiving change fees (through 2/28/2021 as of now), that's a possibility if the fare is low enough.

I think they would just say, "we have Mint seat(s) available for upgrade for $XXX" (a flat amount).

Maybe @Flowers and others from NYC area/BOS can give input on what upgrade prices she might have heard called out at the gate.

I've flown Mint the last 6 trips or so from BOS and I don't recall them calling out a price on any of them while I was at the gate, but I wasn't always there an hour ahead of time, even though I believe there might have been a couple of unsold seats. So in that situation they may hold a couple back for courtesy upgrades.

I got to the gate as late as possible for my October trip BOS -> LAS. There were several unsold Mint seats when I left for the airport, but when I boarded, a couple got filled in, I don't know by what method. But they had been mostly selling main cabin seats for well under $100 for that flight, so I figured someone who was booked at $51 wasn't going to upgrade to Mint.

My experience with Mint out of BOS is that if you get the first seat you get the cheapest possible price, as soon as they sell one, they double the price. And then the price decays a little bit over time but that decay is very unpredictable.

Typical price progression out of BOS (and I watch a lot):
    • Upon opening new dates: $449 / $549 (depending on the day of the week)
    • When they sell the first one, the price goes to $999 - $1,049 and basically sits there for most of the time
    • Occasionally will drop to $749 / $849 for a day or two, and inside 21 days may drop a little further
    Covid threw this somewhat out of whack; at one point, I had both ways booked in Mint for $311, but had to change the dates and lost the price (argh). The usual pricing pattern appears to have resumed. If they start adding back eliminated flights, there may be some softness in pricing, but I wouldn't count on it.

My take is that if you're hoping to get Mint on a last minute upgrade:

1) they won't fold your already-paid fare into the upgrade price at the gate unless you get a friendly gate agent who's on top of the change/cancel policy and the policy happens to be in your favor. That said, all my experiences with JetBlue agents have been good. I've had phone agents say they can't reprice something themselves, but told me how to do it online, which is a little weird, but it worked.

2) I've never seen JetBlue throw up a discount offer to upgrade to Mint online when go to you check in the day before

3) If you see a couple Mint seats open when you head for the airport it doesn't mean you'll be able to get a discounted one at the gate

The best strategy is still to try to buy the first Mint seat.

14. Flowers

Flowers VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There has long been an unadvertised process. It goes like this and doesn't apply to the day before or generally even to the day of but ONLY to purchase AT the airport within HOURS of flight time:

Let's pick January 1, 2020, pre-pandemic. I am on a flight that has MINT on it but I spent $100 for my one-way coach ticket from JFK to LAS.

I go to check in and I ask, "is there a MINT seat available on this flight?"

Check in agent: "Yes"

Me: "I'd like to purchase that seat."

Agent: "That will be $499. Oh, and the checked bag that you would have paid X for is now free, as is your second bag, as you get 2 free checked bags with MINT and you also get to go in the expedited security line."

Me: "Thank you, I'm looking forward to flying MINT for $599."

###

I understand that the "day of purchase at the airport" amount for the MINT upgrade varies depending on the flight. I think it is standard that it is $499 from JFK to LAS and I assume less on other routes.

What @dedhd is suggesting above is that Jet Blue is now discounting that same-day-at-the-airport upgrade, so, out of JFK, it might be now just $399 rather than $499. Given that you can get fares for LESS than $100 on non-stop JB flights from JFK or EWR (I saw a fare for less than $70!), that discount is amazing but not surprising in light of Covid.

• Love Love x 1
  15. nin7474

nin7474 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree. MINT was under $500 for BOS-LAS when I booked my flight months ago.
    Now it’s $1,000!

16. Flowers

Flowers VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's when the idea of purchasing a super cheap ticket and then seeing if you can get the at-the-airport upgrade seems like a really good idea.

17. Flowers

Flowers VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, as I was typing the note above I got an email that my return flight on January 4th in which I was flying MINT at a great time of day was cancelled and I was being put on a red eye flight back to Newark in coach. Way too old for that. LOL But, as it is the beginning of the year, my vacation time restarts :) and the following day there is a non-stop flight with MINT from LAS to JFK at a great time of day plus the fare is $110+ less. Just changed to that flight -- so a day longer in Vegas -- and saved $111 on my MINT seat. :)

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.