1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Jailhouse Rock (Live Pre-TR, thebucket is BACK!!!)

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by thebucket, May 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thebucket

thebucket VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tonight, I began the telling of a story.

The story does not begin tonight, nor does it end so. Instead, it begins about 20 years ago when I visited Las Vegas for the first time, checked into the MGM Grand, parked my car for FREE!!!, and (doesn't sound too pissy on the parking issue with the exclamation marks, does it?) stepped out of the hotel that night, onto the bridge to NYNY, looked north along the strip, drew a breath of crisp Vegas air and realized, right then and there, that this was where I belong.

Fast forward... Many trips later. Nearly two dozen years. The Sahara is gone from the Strip, so is the Riv. The Westward Ho, New Frontier. All. Gone. Soon, it would seem, I may join them.

But this month, on the 14th, I shall hit the tarmac at McCarran once again. Company credit card in hand. Cash in my wallet. Headed who-knows-where (at this point, a Salone suite at Bellagio looks good, but so does a 1BR at Plaza).

This, ladies and gentlemen, may be my last. My previous trips have been fueled by my employer, whom I shall not name here, who understands that there are certain things that motivate people. For some it's recognition around the office. For some it's a raise. For me? Yeah, that's right, that guaranteed (other than the year my daughter was born, didn't want to miss that...) Vegas trip.

This year, my superior will retire. With him, I suspect, will also retire my ability to make magic happen in Las Vegas, all under the guise (I really do work to some degree when visiting) of convention travel.
    My adventures in Vegas have been chronicled here. My favorite so far was 'Hardly Working'. My last thread was a live TR left hanging, an eventuality I wholly intend not to allow to happen this time.. Welcome, ladies and gentlemen, to the last moments of freedom... In honour of the King of Rock and Roll, I am proud to present to you... Jailhouse Rock!

;)

Hang on folks, we're going for a ride here.

• Like Like x 3
  2. thebucket

thebucket VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just booked a Salone at Bellagio. :)

• Like Like x 2
  3. thebucket

thebucket VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Weeelll... Some last-minute trip planning has changed my room, my car... Pretty much everything but the flight. True to form, car rental prices went down. I was able to cancel my way out of the Full Size at Thrifty and get into a Premium from Alamo (cross fingers, folks - hopefully I'll get another Limited Impala out of the National lineup (my unreported most recent trip got one, and it was the 2nd best Vegas Vehicle ever). I did the skip-the-counter thing with Alamo, hopefully that lets me waltz right up to a dream car this time around. :)

The Salone Suite at Bellagio has been replaced with rather more pedestrian accommodations. I'm now headed for a Premium Concierge room at Westgate (looks like I had until noon tomorrow to cancel the Bellagio reservation, glad I made that call in time). Partly because the Bellagio room threatened to be a danger to the budget (not too bad, but I would have had to dig into gambling funds to cover it), but mostly because it looks like I'll be doing this trip solo, and my accomodations are more subject to my whims than when I travel with others. I've never had a room at Westgate, and the number of operational hotels that I haven't stayed in has dwindled over the years. Also, they don't freaking charge me to PARK THERE. Which Bellagio evidently would. As a suite guest. That chaps my hide in a way that words are not entirely capable of describing. Therefore, I'll do my best not to pay MGM one red cent for parking. With my room at Westgate, my convention at MGM Grand, the car can sit happily in valet at Westgate, and the Monofail will zip me directly to the Grand, at a lower cost than driving there and parking the car, walking a mile, and eventually forgetting where the car is. No trouble now, I'll know where the car is... It's at Westgate.

I am sincerely hoping that Westgate has none of the play-to-drink shenanigans that have popped up at bars on the strip lately. I play a good bit of dollar video poker, but have decided to refuse to do so unless drinks are offered with wanton abandon regardless of exactly how much I've bet since I got the last one. I shall, of course, be reporting on this.

On a side-note, one of my co-workers (HR Dept, so she gets priority, makes the paychecks happen) handed me a $20 and told me to go bet it for her. She does this on nearly every trip I have been on, and was thrilled about a year ago when I stuck it in an electronic roulette machine and turned it into $80. I'm going to try the same thing this time, but I'm thinking physical roulette, maybe downtown. Binions? Or perhaps her own favorite Sam's Town (a bit off the beaten path, but I'll have a car and the 202 to deal with that complication). Any thoughts?

More soon, stay tuned.

4. thebucket

thebucket VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I hadn't thought of it before... There's a sort of perfection in the primary hotel for a 'Jailhouse Rock' themed episode being Westgate. :)

636 Sold Out Shows. Sold out, ladies and gentlemen, consecutively. In the very hotel I'll be staying in. And that's the conservative number. (Reference)

The King was known for extravagance. For tipping. He also, I suspect, did not pay one cent for PARKING (sorry, long-term rant warning). Next week, it's my turn to pick up the microphone.

I can't dance, can't sing. Can't play the guitar. But make Vegas happen? Tip? Gamble? Sing it all into the amazing PA system that VMB offers? Yeah, I can do that.

Let's rock this jailhouse, folks. I'd tip some waitress my Impala, but Alamo might have issues, even if I bought the expensive insurance.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Royal Flusher

Royal Flusher Savvy Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Look out for the bucket in the suit, folks!!!!

6. Gino

Gino "The King of Inappropriate."

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Best Entertainer Ever..Broke the mold with him.

Reno to Las Vegas...and other places in between..
  7. thebucket

thebucket VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey, it's the flusher! (Tips hat)

8. thebucket

thebucket VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You've got that right, my friend.

9. thebucket

thebucket VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just making sure this new (new to me, and a most welcome development) photo insertion tool in Tapatalk works... I'll do my best to use the heck out of it on this trip if it does. [​IMG]

10. thebucket

thebucket VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Today's update... I landed a 5-day monorail pass for $33. I used to think the Monofail was an awfully expensive way to get around, but this deal makes it affordable, and I'm sure to save $$ not PAYING TO PARK AT MGM (sorry, rant-mode got engaged again for a moment there).

The deal is available from New Destination Coupons, but it leads right to their special discount page on the lvmonorail.com website, so I was sure it was legitimate. Here's a link for anyone who might like to make use of it. The process is a bit interesting, and delivers fast enough that it would be useful even if you want to ride in the next few minutes. You buy the digital voucher, it e-mails you a QR-code image, and you scan that (from your phone would surely work ok) on a voucher redemption kiosk that is supposed to be at every monofail stop. Mine arrived within seconds of purchase, so I could have used it even if I found it at the last second. The link below is direct to the New Destination Coupons page on lvmonorail.com (so you can avoid their spammy intro page). I'm not affiliated with them in any way, just wanted to pass this on in case it can save one or a few of you some $$.

New Destination Coupons page on lvmonorail.com

Enjoy!

And now, for something completely different.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. pebbles

pebbles VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have a fabulous time and don't pay one red cent for parking. Proud of you!

12. thebucket

thebucket VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'll do my best, on both counts. :)

Thanks!

13. thebucket

thebucket VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Weeellllll.... I just saw something on TripAdvisor that disappoints me a bit:

TripAdvisor review regarding VP/comp-drink details

To paraphrase, the guest writing that review indicates that the VP machines at the Westgate bars are set up with some sort of investment/action detection system to regulate how comp drinks are handled. I was seriously hoping for this to be done the old-school way still, y'know - the bartender that sees you sitting there playing, and comps you drinks kinda way? Pffft. I wonder how good their system is at overriding the effects of handsome tipping on the average bartender in Vegas. Sometimes the answer to a high-tech problem is just to go old-school. :beer:

14. zignerlv

zignerlv VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well at least you know about it before your trip, rather than being disappointed the first time you sit down.

They have several bars, so if they comp the first drink with a $20 buy in, just do that and then head to the next bar, rinse and repeat.

Also, be aware that the Westgate sometimes charges for parking on busy weekends and conventions, but for guests it's free.

Last edited: May 12, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. thebucket

thebucket VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the advice, I'll keep that in mind. Looks like they have 8/5 bonus at some of the bartops, which I'll play max bet on (a friend said some have 9/6 JoB, but I don't see that on VPFree2 on the bartops listings). I'll see if I can confirm exactly what the policies/limitations are on comp VP bar drinks when I talk to a bartender and post the details in the main TR (Leaving tomorrow and starting that TR, yay!).

• Like Like x 1
  16. Texas Steph

Texas Steph A Work in Progress...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good luck on your adventure, sounds like you will regal us with some fabulous tales!!

And kudos to you for giving the pay-to-park conglomerates the proverbial middle finger

Have a safe and uneventful flight in, and good luck with the VP!

17. thebucket

thebucket VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks, I'll do my best! I used to fight the good fight by patronizing the non-resort-fee places... Which now leaves me with Four Queens on that list... :(

Now I get to be the free beer and parking guy.

Now I'm curious to know if there is now a comp level called 'RFBP'. I'm sure that's technically RFBi, but I'd be quite amused if they made a new designation to avoid making comped whales pay to leave in their Ferraris. My Ferrari would be the one with the suspiciously horizontally cracked windshield.

I'm almost there really, just 3 easy steps:

1. Become really rich
    2. Buy Ferrari
    3. Be willing to crash the parking gate at a Vegas resort

One outta three ain't bad, right?

18. thebucket

thebucket VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey, folks, thanks to everyone who has read, commented, or both in this thread!

Tonight I move over to the Trip Reports section. The guide there says it can begin no earlier than the day one departs for Las Vegas... I've got four minutes left before the clock strikes midnight (I don't actually have a clock that strikes midnight, but it sounds good, right?)... Time to move it on over at the earliest technically allowed moment.

C'mon down folks, and join me over there! This is gonna be fun!

19. thebucket

thebucket VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.