1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

It’s that time of year- get in shape- again.

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Valgal, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Valgal

Valgal Formerly Vwhiten

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is how I see myself. A svelte cougar. Prancing through the snow.

[​IMG]

And then I look in the mirror.

[​IMG]

Here we go again. I’m on day 4 of cutting carbs. No more sweet adult beverages. Luckily I have now acquired a taste for Bloody Marys. Getting my veggies in and low carb- healthy.

February Mirage Trip - because it was cheap
    • Funny Funny x 12
    • Like Like x 7
    • Love Love x 2
  2. DESPERADO

DESPERADO High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    :wave::beer: image002.jpg

• Funny Funny x 10
    • Love Love x 1
  3. carolineno

carolineno VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Strength to you @Valgal !

Regarding carbs, I have joined the spaghetti squash cult. It's on the sweet side, but if you cover it with enough goop you can pretend it's real spaghetti or pad thai, whatever, goop dependent. I steam it in the crock pot a few hours, then saute once I want to eat it.

I have re-booted the weight loss efforts since around November. Efforts between Summer and November were pretty lame, but I didn't get fatter! I'm vaguely following Brad Pitt's diet for Fight Club at the moment. Plenty of food, but no booze, may as well go full tilt.

[​IMG]

I saw this weight loss related meme today and thought it was cute! Let's get it everyone!
    [​IMG]

comped Excal and Duran Duran!
    • Funny Funny x 3
  4. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You look more like a bounder, Val, than a prancer.

5. Flowers

Flowers VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm doing the same. I lost 45 pounds on Nutrisystem over the course of a bit more than a year -- was surprised how relatively easy it was to do by sticking to the program, and that was with barely exercising -- but lots going on in my life the past few months so with nervous eating, etc. etc. I put about 8 pounds back on.

Marie Osmond was on QVC again the other day as Nutrisystem was the Today Special Value and while I'm on the Nutrisystem plan already it was so great to just listen to her and the many people calling in whose lives had been changed by losing 50, 70, 100+ pounds.

So I ordered the Fast Five -- first week you can lose 5 pounds -- again as I did a year and a half ago. (And it worked in September 2017. I lost 5 pounds the first week.) The package arrived yesterday and my first day of the weeklong "Fast Five" was today! I'm about to nuke my NS dinner preceded by a big salad and a lot of water and some side non-starchy veggies, which are unlimited. I want to take off the 8 I gained and another 10-12 (depending on how I look and feel -- don't want to be too thin, for me). I am a little hungry so will be chowing down some baby carrots and salsa with more water later this evening as I'll be up late. It helps knowing the more stringent plan is just for 1 week.

I'm taking it slow and steady/day by day again but it's a realistic goal for me to lose the final 20 pounds by late May (about a pound a half a week), especially as I'll be trying to incorporate 30+ minutes of exercise most days. If I'm on track to do that, I'm going to see the Donny and Marie show again in late May, do the meet and greet, and get my picture taken with Marie again with my goal having been achieved! (And no, I don't work for NS. Just so impressed and happy -- having initially been a major skeptic -- that it worked.)

Here's to a healthy and happy New Year for everyone.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    Special Moments Galore with Mom and Friends in the Place We Adore
    Celebrating our Nation's Birth While Winning Mega More at Encore!
    • Like Like x 5
  6. deansrobinson

deansrobinson VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We did the Nutri System thing a couple of years ago. It does work. We lost some pounds but once we reached x-point, we cancelled. And, like all good 'mericans we put the weight back on. Really irritates me. I was down about twelve pounds and have since tacked on ten. Cindy's doing the shake thing (the first week or so, I think is what the program has) but purchases from the store, not from NutriSystem. Me? I'm just gonna tough out reduced caloric intake and increased trips to the gym / riding.

Man! I was a bean pole until I turned 30. Then bad habits kicked in and I'm payin' the price. You know how we sometimes ponder something we'd change in the past? Well, for me, I wouldn't have become seduced by food when we moved back to the US of A. But...

• Like Like x 4
  7. Multifarious5

Multifarious5 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I ALWAYS have a little room for improvement in this area. :cry:

I can diet or workout, but I always seem to have those final pounds to lose.

Ironically, the only time I always drop a few pounds...is when I go to Vegas, even though I don't behave. Then again, I'm always less stressed in Vegas, maybe lower stress DOES have some power in this department!

Since companies often support wellness programs (fitness, etc.) maybe I can petition to have more frequent Vegas trips as part of the wellness program. :whistle:

Love the pics @Valgal ...I'm right there with you. Happy New Year!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    Tentative
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Valgal

Valgal Formerly Vwhiten

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It takes three days to lose the carb cravings and then you are home free.

February Mirage Trip - because it was cheap
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. BlacklabberMike

BlacklabberMike VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I thought this was going to be about getting the garden back in shape...not for a few months...

as for me.. just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Geogran

Geogran VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well @Valgal I like the happy fat cat look in your pic so I’ll need some other motivator to get me started on losing a few.

This method used to do the trick, but.....

D613AB84-8E63-4AC0-BC80-D9488D26CD20.jpeg
    F4E295FB-84F3-4048-B235-6801EBED1664.jpeg
    23D05DE9-F8D6-460E-BC85-F9814C5F0578.jpeg

Fingers crossed - it's been almost a year
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  11. Mudhen

Mudhen Smart Axe

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd like to drop a few pounds prior to my annual spring trip to Las Vegas. Most people say I don't need to lose any weight but I always feel like I need to "lean out" some.

I've been active, and have worked out my entire life, but at this stage of the game, if I want to lose any weight at all, I simply have to walk around hungry all day. I mean, I have to eat next to nothing, if I want to shed a few pounds. And that's on top of my 4-5 workouts, each week. I can only imagine what would happen if I were to ever stop working out. :eek:

Very annoying.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Flowers

Flowers VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, as a person who has struggled with weight issues most of her life I'm not the person to give YOU advice since you take care of yourself but there's science behind making sure you are eating ENOUGH so that you are not slowing down your metabolism but instead are keeping it fired up. Marie Osmond talks about about that a lot. She was always starving herself as a teenager and younger woman and she talks about how it wreaked havoc on her metabolism. She was eating MORE food than normal under NS but just healthier food and on a regular basis, from breakfast through dinner with protein rich snacks in between.

I am a BIG eater (grew up with four brothers) so I eat a lot of volume in the veggies to give me the feeling of fullness while also eating well with all of those veggies. I like NS because it has meat, cheese, carbs, etc. etc. but just in smaller portions than historically I have eaten. Maybe analyze to make sure you are eating enough food AND starting with breakfast. Not eating breakfast is a bad idea.

A little hungry at the moment LOL and my "meals" and "snacks" are gone for the day. Going to have some tea, water and more carrots. LOL. Not a lot of fun but I do remember that great feeling after the first week when I lost the 5 pounds on Fast 5. I was so proud of myself and mentally it really did help to stick with the program, especially as much more food is added in the subsequent weeks.

Bottom line, make sure you eat enough and of the right foods.

Special Moments Galore with Mom and Friends in the Place We Adore
    Celebrating our Nation's Birth While Winning Mega More at Encore!
    • Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. hotreds

hotreds Illegitimi non carborundum!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    upload_2019-1-10_22-23-11.jpeg

Let's try Paris for a change!
    A/C one last time before we move back to Ohio
    • Funny Funny x 7
  14. gambler

gambler VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My Christmas go to was Gin and diet tonic. 0 carbs. Just mentioning... for those holidays when a couple drinks just aren't enough :beer:
    And you wake up feeling carb free in the morning! :drunk:

15. Pea

Pea Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's what I thought at first! Phew - I still have time to post my garden pics from last year before she starts the new thread. :goofy:

16. BlacklabberMike

BlacklabberMike VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Pea's pumpkins?:p

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. STPFan

STPFan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm struggling with my efforts to get back on track. I have been overweight since my early 20's (after my daughters were born). When I was approaching 44 I was able to motivate myself to get healthy. My father died of cancer at 44 and so I wanted to hit 44 in great shape. I lost 60 lbs and was running. I ended up over training and after doing a half marathon then a week later a 10K I developed SI joint problems which altered my running pattern, then I tore a meniscus. I required surgery so the months I quit running found my quickly gaining weight. After two years I was back where I started and have been struggling in the years since then.

Two months ago I was watching my 14 month old grandson climb up and down a small rocky hillside. I stayed close cause he kept slipping. He slipped again, I went to catch him, I started slipping and tried to keep us from falling. Big mistake cause I twisted my leg so bad that I tore my hamstrings and collapsed on my butt. I keep him upright and he thought it was a fun ride. Lets just say it was a major embarrassment because I could not get up right away and thought I might have torn my acl in my knee again. It was at a public event my daughter was sponsoring and it involved medics and a crowd of people. I insisted on walking out of there on my own power instead of riding in an ambulance. I am still recovering and my physical therapist says it will several more months before I am back to normal. If I were not as overweight I likely would not have hurt myself this bad. I need to do something because I don't feel healthy and know I am heading for a diminished future if I don't find a way.

I have thought about Nutrisystem since one of my biggest problems is picking while making dinner. I have tried different things, but when I get home from work I end up eating so much junk while making dinner that I blow my day in less than an hour. Maybe if I just nuke some prepared food I can get myself back on tract.

• Like Like x 2
  18. wormhole

wormhole High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am in shape. Round is a shape, isn't it?

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  19. deansrobinson

deansrobinson VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I ain't a paid spokesperson for NutriSystem, but as a fat guy, I do know that it works. It works as long as you adhere to the plan - do exactly as instructed - no wavering. The most difficult thing for me was the 'snack' philosophy in the morning, afternoon and evening. Why? Because I tend to not eat during the day and am ravenous by the time dinner (or supper as we like to say here on the VMB) time rolls around. Which isn't good. I had a hard time taking just a few minutes in the morning & afternoon to eat one of their snacks. I know, I know that sounds uber stoopit given my normally bad diet, but that's what I noticed. I think, in retrospect, the smart thing to do would have been to continue on past the point where we stopped. I stopped after losing down to my target weight. I'm done! Did it! Not buying more food from NutriSystem. Why? It is - in my opinion - a tad expensive (compared to the grocery store), but maybe it's worth the additional cost.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Mudhen

Mudhen Smart Axe

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ha, ha. If you're talking to me, you are exactly correct. I think the last time I had a proper diet, was before I left home to go to college. That was 1975. :kill: Since then, I've become very proficient at making sandwiches, and seeking out the closest burger and BBQ joints. On a positive note, I'm basically a non-drinker, so I don't sit around on the couch all day, guzzling beer and watching TV. :D